Bermuda Day

I read somewhere, probably on the Bermuda board that while I'll be in port in Bermuda, it's Bermuda Day. Evidently this is a national holiday for them. most things closed, etc. do you think they will keep things open because of the cruise ship? I would hate to go there and not be able to do anything or go on any excursions because its' a holiday. I'm going to post this on the Bermuda board as well, but there is more activity over here so I thought I'd try as well. Thank you.

Are you talking about the 'queens day' or something like that? We were there in June 08 and hit that one and yes things are mainly closed. The shops/restuarants right by the pier are open, but Hamilton was dead quiet!

Excursions also will most likely still go as scheduled.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a public holiday but there are local things to do:

Usually the day of the annual Bermuda Heritage Day Parade. This day began in Britain in 1902 as the celebration of the birthday of Queen Empress Victoria. The Earl of Meath inaugurated it as the day on which young people would be trained in their British Empire citizenship. He got the idea from a newspaper clipping in Hamilton, Ontario, which noted a patriotic parade for children organized by Mrs. Reginald Fessenden. Lord Meath was successful in Britain in establishing what became known as Empire Day on May 24. Then it became Commonwealth Day, but in Bermuda, what became known as Bermuda Day replaced it. It was when Bermuda was experiencing bloody civil unrest in the 1970s. Lord Pitt, a black member of the Greater London Council who was sent out to make recommendations after the riots, suggested it as a way to bring Bermudians of different races together in harmony.

It includes the Marathon Derby, in reality a half marathon - raced from Somerset to Hamilton, 13 miles by road, over hills and dales. Bermuda's racing legend "Sir" Stanley Burgess, who died in 1984, participated for over 50 years, beginning in 1921 when he was 20. He won it ten times. His marathon preparation began with a bath in port wine, honey, beet tops and rum. He rubbed his legs with tincture of myrrh, turtle oil, oil of wintergreen with hazel, and old rum. His final race was in 1983, when he was 84. He was awarded the Queen's Certificate and Badge of Honor in 1971.

dinghy.jpgThere are also the Sinclair Packwood Memorial Cycle Race, Inline Skaters, more sporting events and a parade with floats and more at about 2 pm fromBernard's Park in Pembroke Parish, via the City of Hamilton, back to the park. There is always a theme for each year.

Participants include marching bands, dancers, Bermuda Gombeys, Bermuda Islanders pipe and drum band, politicians with speeches and restaurant stands offering tasty, hot and cold selections of specialty Bermudian dishes. It began in 1909, from the town of St. George to Somerset.

Bermuda Day is also when Bermuda Fitted Dinghy Racing begins its annual season. Dinghies are 14 feet long, with 40 foot masts and more sail than any other vessel of similar length. The crew improvise for survival and seamanship. They jibe from port to starboard for prevailing winds, try to keep upright and can take on gallons of water.

Photo: Bermuda Fitted Dinghy

To reduce weight and keep afloat, they jump or get pushed off. With right conditions and a good helmsman, they achieve high speeds. But they often they sink or are dismasted before the finishing line. Always entertaining and sometimes hilarious.

Archived