Europe vs. Caribbean

Hi,

I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind telling me about some differences between RCI's Caribbean cruises and their Europe cruises.

I have been on two Caribbean cruises (see signature) which were both absolutely fantastic. I will be going on the Splendor of the Seas this June which leaves from Venice and goes to Split (Croatia), Corfu (Greece), Athens (Greece), Mykonos (Greece), and Katakolon (Greece).

What are some differences between the Splendor and the Explorer (excluding the size)?

Are there different policies when leaving from a European port vs. a US one?

This is more curiosity - What nationalities can we expect to run into the most?

FYI, We have a 17-year-old and a 13-year-old in our group.

Any other random info if greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Sorry I can't answer the comparison questions but I will answer this one...

This is more curiosity - What nationalities can we expect to run into the most?

Expect mainly a mix of Europeans and Americans but there will also be many other nationalities onboard too. As you are sailing from Italy you can expect a good proportion of Italians.

We actually haven't seen that many Italians on our Italy cruises - mostly Americans and British passengers with a smattering of German, Spanish and Dutch. Pretty much everything onboard is in English (although they do have publications and and international ambassador to help out in other languages). There are Italian-based lines that cater to the local market.

As for differences between the ships, I can give some generic ones - we've found the service to be better on the smaller ships in the fleet, a bit more personalized. Food will depend on the head chef.

What policies are you concerned about? If it's bringing alcohol onboard, that's prohibited worldwide, so you should expect the worst and hope for the best.

I find that European cruises are more for exploration and history/culture, while Caribbean cruises are more for relaxation and/or sporty activities. I don't think you'll find ziplines and the like on that itinerary (but I haven't been to any of the ports, so don't know for sure). :)

Critterchick is correct. I have not been on the Explorer, but I have cruised Splendour (sam itin.) and recently on a b2b Serenade. I have also been on the Mariner. The Splendour does not have the specialty restaurants, Royal Promenade, or ice rink. It is a beautiful ship, though. Expect more smokers on Splendour.

The European cruise was all about history and culture. It was a very busy cruise for me. I needed a rest when I returned! We rented a car on Corfu and at Katakolon (arrived prior to the bus tours, so saw ancient Olympia without the crowds). Beach time in Mykonos would be nice if you like beaches. We went to Delos on our own. I also had to hunt down the building near the windmills on Mykonos that was the "motor scooter rental shop" in the Bourne Identity. There is a lot of info on the ports on CC.

The differences really do relate to size as on the smaller Splendour you have less of the options for specialty dining (eg Johnny Rockets, Portofino, etc), sports activities (ice skating, basketball), etc. But as others have said, it is still a great ship (I have been on others in that class) and the trip really is much more about what you are seeing in Europe. I will say that Split was one my favorite places!! We did the tour to the national park Krka.

Was on Splendour two summers ago from Venice, and have also cruised from Barcelona as well. Nice ship, but trip marred by major plumbing problems for the forward port side of the ship for half the cruise. Oh well, stuff happens and they gave us a credit for 25% of the cost of the cruise.

Main difference in Europe vs Caribbean for us is that we spent a lot more time touring in Europe - we joked that we had to take a vacation to rest up from the vacation! So many fantastic things to see in Europe that we didn't want to "waste" a day laying on the beach. Didn't notice more smoking on board ship, but did notice it on land. Also had to get used to the quaint local habit of not waiting your turn in a line, but rather pushing past people (there are benefits to being 6'4" and still able to box out - I drove them nuts!)

As others have said, Splendour is much smaller that Explorer. We actually enjoyed going back to a smaller ship after taking several cruises on the larger ones.

RCI is mainly smoke free. On my cruise smoking was allowed in the Schooner Bar. I usually love the Schooner Bar, but holy smokes, it was bad. It was the only place I really noticed the smokers (I'm very sensitive to the smoke).

Beach comment was for the kids. Sometimes they can claim an OD on history/culture and need a change. We have taken our now 21 yr. old son to Europe several times. We always had to give him a day off from history/culture to keep him happy. When kids are unhappy, the trip can be a drag.

Was on Splendour two summers ago from Venice, and have also cruised from Barcelona as well. Nice ship, but trip marred by major plumbing problems for the forward port side of the ship for half the cruise. Oh well, stuff happens and they gave us a credit for 25% of the cost of the cruise.

Yes, stuff happens, and I'm glad to learn you were treated well by RC.

Oct 2005 we were on Monarch of the Sea (3-night to Mex) with a group of building contractors from Seattle when there was a problem with the sewer gas after we docked in San Diego. Several of us on the aft-port side couldn't stay in our cabins for hours even after we left port. We not only didn't get credit for part of cruise cost, it took hours before someone from the Purser's team admitted they could smell the gas. We learned later that 2 or 3 crew members had died from the sewer gas on this ship just weeks before our cruise, and somehow the coast guard gave RC permission for Monarch to make another trip or two before overhauling the system. It took years before we were willing to sail with RC again.

Joanne

I agree with the others that Europe is very port intensive. You will be tired if you do the longer excursions. We did a 12 day Med on the Brilliance last year (different itinerary) and needed those sea days to recover. I would not have changed it for anything in the world. It was truly a wonderful experience.

Unless your children are really into history and walking a great deal, be sure to book something fun for them. Even my husband was overwhelmed by everything I'd booked.

I can honestly say I didn't see many people getting really drunk as I've seen on Caribbean cruises (maybe too tired and went to sleep from the tours). But if your ship offers Quest (adults only participation game) late in the evening you will see that people get a bit smashed and do some embarrassing things. It really was fun to watch even if you don't participate.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

I've done both. Carnival European cruises are nothing like Carnival Caribbean cruises.

For one thing in Europe the ship is going to be 60% of Brits and Canadian (lots of French speaking Canadians). Then 5% misc Europeans, 5% Asians, and finally 30% Americans.

Second, European cruises are more expensive and usually longer. So they attract older people (who have more vacation and are not leaving young kids at home) and people with more money. In the Caribbean the average age is 30 and they go as cheaply as possible.

You don't have as many party animals on European cruises. Not that you don't have a good time (you DO), but you won't be sharing tales of extreme loudness and drunkeness after a European vacation. It's more laid back, you get more culture. In Europe it's all about wine and the champagne, in the Caribbean it's about vodka and tequila. It's just not the same crowd.

Both are fun in different ways.

Temperature is an important factor, after half september it cools down faster in europe.

Our cruise is June 19th; 7 Nights.

---

Thank you everyone for the replies! They were a huge help!

How do you think it will affect the younger ones in our group (17 & 13)? Are the activities the same? Same turn out? How about curfews?

Also, many of you suggested a 'break from the tours' for a day, so would any of you recommend which port we do that? to spend a day on a beach, perhaps.

We sail from Venice, and our ports are: Split, Croatia; Corfu, Greece; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Mykonos, Greece; Katakolon, Greece.

Thanks again! :)

Archived