Fun Ship Dollar Credit

h20lvr

Ok this should answer everything. Yes, I paid for certified mail. Stupid me followed the directions on the certificate. :D I am not weak and do not have a problem making or saving money. The money I make is for extras and Husband would have seen an extra $200 in my vacation account after everything was paid for and thought "new putter"? I paid to take my parents on this Cruise for their 50th Wedding Anniversary and I would like to also pick up their sign and sail. That is why I wanted to prepay some $$ on my OBC. And I do not invest in CD's. :cool:

Ok this should answer everything. Yes, I paid for certified mail. Stupid me followed the directions on the certificate. :D I am not weak and do not have a problem making or saving money. The money I make is for extras and Husband would have seen an extra $200 in my vacation account after everything was paid for and thought "new putter"? I paid to take my parents on this Cruise for their 50th Wedding Anniversary and I would like to also pick up their sign and sail. That is why I wanted to prepay some $$ on my OBC. And I do not invest in CD's. :cool:

You my dear need some educating on managing your money. You live not too far from me. Let's meet up and I can give you some free financial education a la Suze Orman / Dave Ramsey style. You need help badly!! :eek:

Let's say, 7pm, over happy hour? :D:D

Oh, Mr. Westside. No thank you, my Husband and I do quit well, financially. We have a financial planner and our finances are just fine. Also, from reading your previous post I really do not think you could afford to meet at the Sanctuary, even if it was for Happy Hour!

LOL, your loss. :D

And you should fire your financial advisor if you have never been told about laddering. It's a fundamental concept of investing, especially important as you become wealthier!!

Suze Orman / Dave Ramsey would not approve one going into debt to hob nob at a fine establishment like the Sanctuary!! You sure you don't want to be educated? :D :D I kid I kid!!

I fully understand the frustration of the OP, as it's nice to have some sort of guarantee the onboard credit will, indeed, be waiting for you once you board the ship. Sure, you can get a verbal confirmation of receipt from the Miami folks, and if you do the input online you can print a confirmation of the purchase . . . but until you see it posted on your My Documents, the ship has zero clue that it's in your account.

During most of 2009, and earlier years, if you did the online arrangement for onboard credit (via Fun Ship Dollars purchase), you would see the posting in your online documents within the week. Easy peasy.

After the reorganization of Sales/Service @ CCL, and a cut in the staffing of some departments, that process was changed to the "within 2 weeks of your sailing" caveat. This was explained to me by one of their department heads after I encountered multiple challenges.

My 12/3/09 sailing was missing three hundred dollars of onboard credit at embarkation. I'd called several times prior to that to check on the status, and each time I heard, "We are still running way behind schedule, but it will be taken care of". For that sailing, it was "taken care of" the day prior to debarkation of the cruise, so I ended up with a sizeable refund check delivered to my cabin.

My 2/20/10 sailing was missing two hundred dollars of onboard credit the week prior to embarkation. Two days before cruising, I called and got the "running behind schedule" script, so I asked for the named person I'd dealt with earlier. She pulled up the confirmation numbers I gave her, and quickly said "Oh, no". Somewhat embarrassed, and painted in a corner, she authorized the credit and it showed up immediately.

It's clearly a staffing and comprehension thing in some (though not necessarily all) instances.

. . . {erhaps next time you should just do it online so that it goes right into your account rather then getting the paper ones you need to had put on your account.

See above

The reason they don't apply them is probably a system / procedural issue . . .

Bottom line is, it's not ideal but who cares, as long as when you show up for the cruise and it's correct...

Totally agree, but that doesn't always happen. See above.

The Fun Dollars are good for people with weak self control and can't save money, it seems.

You may be correct with that observation, but I hope your brush wasn't quite a broad as it appeared at first glance.

There are some passengers who routinely do the advance OBC arrangements, and they are quite savvy with their finances. (Rumor has it that one such person plans to use the process on eight separate CCL sailings this calendar year. Seems his only "weak self control" is turning down a great vacation opportunity when those arise). :)

This OBC topic gets discussed with some frequency, and it always presents the same outcome. Some believe in it - Some don't.

The same as some wanting to wear a tux that one evening, and others are quite happy wearing a polo and slacks. Some like to get off the ship early and some cling onto any object to avoid it. Smuggling vs non-smuggling, etc. .It's just personal choices, that's all.

One particular poster on this thread (whom, by the way, I happen to have a great admiration of) is always against the idea of this pre-arranged OBC process and always adds to each thread when they surface. Oddly, though, this is the exact person who posted several times to a much earlier "I save coins in home containers to help pay cruise expenses" thread, and had actually saved a rather significant amount of money doing so. I offer sincere kudos on that success . . . but I'm not certain how that is much different, and how those funds (even more than what I pre-arrange) were earning all that interest repeatedly mentioned by some.

Just sayin' :)

...You may be correct with that observation, but I hope your brush wasn't quite a broad as it appeared at first glance.

There are some passengers who routinely do the advance OBC arrangements, and they are quite savvy with their finances. (Rumor has it that one such person plans to use the process on eight separate CCL sailings this calendar year. Seems his only "weak self control" is turning down a great vacation opportunity when those arise). :)

...Just sayin' :)

Of course I was not painting everyone with that brush.

But I don't understand why anyone would buy them in advance.

I just tie my super deluxe Black credit card with virtually no credit limit to the S&S card, and feel free to spend on board as I wish.

The benefit is not a penny of my real money is tied up, and I get reward benefits from using my credit card after the S&S card is settled to my card.

And since time is money, I don't have to worry about making advanced purchases to track, extra cash sitting outside of my control to worry about, and just one single, clean transaction at the end of my voyage to deal with.

So just saying... ;)

I just tie my super deluxe Black credit card with virtually no credit limit to the S&S card, and feel free to spend on board as I wish.

You've found a process that works for you, and you stick with it.

I like that. :D

LOL! Oh you know that Susie spends way too much on those jackets!!!! I'll let my Advisor at United Financial Services know that you think he should explain laddering to me. I'm sure he will be tickled! He knows our goals, has been profitable, and has been successful in helping us afford our dream to retire on Ambergris Caye!!! Hopefully, only 15 more years to Isla Bonita!! But, just in case I don't live that long, instead of buying jackets, I think I will hob nob and have my BMW valet parked at the Sanctuary and watched the sunset over Camelback Mtn with a Grey Goose Martini in hand! Gotta go, there is only 38 seats on the deck to watch the Sunset. :D Life is good!!!

LOL! Oh you know that Susie spends way too much on those jackets!!!! I'll let my Advisor at UB Financial Services know that you think he should explain laddering to me. I'm sure he will be tickled! He knows our goals, has been profitable, and has been successful in helping us afford our dream to retire on Ambergris Caye!!! Hopefully, only 15 more years to Isla Bonita!! But, just in case I don't live that long, instead of buying jackets, I think I will hob nob and have my BMW valet parked at the Sanctuary and watched the sunset over Camelback Mtn with a Grey Goose Martini in hand! Gotta go, there is only 38 seats on the deck to watch the Sunset. :D Life is good!!!

Have fun!!

Your reply is what my former millionaire neighbor told me. They invested millions at the advice of their financial adviser, some big wig at a big wig firm. Half in Enron, half in Worldcom.

Now they work 3 jobs per person to make ends meet!! Bon Voyage!! :D

Are you sure your financial advisor wasn't working with Madoff? ;) I tease, I tease...

LOL! Oh you know that Susie spends way too much on those jackets!!!! I'll let my Advisor at UB Financial Services know that you think he should explain ladRdering to me. I'm sure he will be tickled! He knows our goals, has been profitable, and has been successful in helping us afford our dream to retire on Ambergris Caye!!! Hopefully, only 15 more years to Isla Bonita!! But, just in case I don't live that long, instead of buying jackets, I think I will hob nob and have my BMW valet parked at the Sanctuary and watched the sunset over Camelback Mtn with a Grey Goose Martini in hand! Gotta go, there is only 38 seats on the deck to watch the Sunset. :D Life is good!!!

And you are complaining that hubby would buy a $200 putter from your vacation fund......ROFLMAO!!!

Can someone please tell me why Carnival will not apply your “fun ship” dollars to your on board account when they receive them? I sent them in 3 weeks ago, just got off the phone with Customer Service, they confirmed that they have them, but they will be applied 2 weeks to 3 days before the sailing date. It does not make much sense to me, since they are paid for in full when you purchase them. The Cruise is paid for in full, they billed my credit card the $200 for the fun ship dollars over two months ago, so why should I not receive the credit upon receipt? Maybe, I should have told them that I want to purchase them, but I am not going to pay for them until 3 days before I sail!

I am not cruising until July and mine-two different purchases-have all been applied-As on-board credit..I do not know why yours aren't..I did ask them about them when I called and they could not find my FUN SHIP dollars, but the exact amount was credited as on board credit. Who knows?

And you are complaining that hubby would buy a $200 putter from your vacation fund......ROFLMAO!!!

The putter is stashed in the trunk of the BMW at the Sanctuary resort!! :D:D

This has been very entertaining.

I hope the OP does get to see her $200 credit very soon on her account.

;);)

Black Card, no limit.....LOL!!!!! Sure and you cannot afford to take an Alaskan Cruise this summer at $1,000 PP. LMAO!!!!!!

I never said I can't afford it LOL. Just that I'm a tightwad with my cash.

Which is how I got to this situation with no debt. ;)

Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, my dear. You must learn.

People are so anxious to send their money away that they'll jump through all the hoops associated with Funship bucks. :rolleyes:

LOL To be fair to the OP, seems like she was spending her precious savings before the hubby could find it and spend it on his putters!! They seem to have a lavish lifestyle, spending every buck before it's earned... ;)

Can't blame a gal for trying to save a nut! :p:p

Yea, sounds like better off to put the money into a CD and get interest on it, then put it towards the cruise at the time of debarkation.

The Fun Dollars are good for people with weak self control and can't save money, it seems.

that would be me- I book cruises way in advance. (am booked for February 2011 AND 2012. ) so each pay I will take 25.00 and buy a funship dollar.

If I put it in the bank something will come up and I will need it. This way I have my funship dollar saved towards my cruise.

Last cruise I was able to save over 800.00 buying those 25.00 funship dollars. I dont miss 25.00 each pay but if I had to put out 800. at one time I would miss it.

I have done this in all my carnival cruises--never have I mailed them in-- always took them with me to the pursers desk.

PS- if you dont spend it all you get a check the last morning. You can cash it for free at the pursers desk.

(200.00 isnt really a lot when you figure your tips is gonna be 140.00 for a 7 day cruise)

that would be me- I book cruises way in advance. (am booked for February 2011 AND 2012. ) so each pay I will take 25.00 and buy a funship dollar.

If I put it in the bank something will come up and I will need it. This way I have my funship dollar saved towards my cruise.

Last cruise I was able to save over 800.00 buying those 25.00 funship dollars. I dont miss 25.00 each pay but if I had to put out 800. at one time I would miss it.

I have done this in all my carnival cruises--never have I mailed them in-- always took them with me to the pursers desk.

PS- if you dont spend it all you get a check the last morning. You can cash it for free at the pursers desk.

(200.00 isnt really a lot when you figure your tips is gonna be 140.00 for a 7 day cruise)

It's too bad Carnival doesn't pay you a monthly interest on the amount you buy, especially if you buy them so early. And they expire in 24 months, I read on the web. If they paid interest, and no expiration, this would be a great way to go. :)

Enough with your personal attacks. I should not have to defend myself or my lifestyle. We live a lifestyle we can afford and we are not in debt. We are not ignorant with our investments. This is both of our second marriages and we have no children, therefore we do what we enjoy. Because I ask a question on this board does not give you the right to attack my personal finances. Does this make you feel big to attack people of the CC board? Get a life, over 100 post since you joined two weeks ago. Why don't you come on up, I am sure my Husband and his golf buddies would love to show just what they can do with their putters!!!

I purchased $100 worth of funship dollars online about two weeks ago and just had them applied as OBC instead of having them mailed to me. I wasnt able to prepay my gratuities because I used an online TA, so i felt this was a good way to go ahead and "pay" those. They have yet to be added to my edocs and i sail in May. I would like to see them, just for confirmation but i am not too worried about it..yet..lol. But i will print off my confirmation just in case. I may also, if i decide to add more before i sail, just call and have it added.

I could just stick the hundred dollars in a piggy bank, my wallet or my financial institute. Either way i have money set aside for this trip.

Enough with your peronal attacks. I should not have to defend myself or my lifestyle. We live a lifestyle we can afford and we are not in debt. We are not ignorant with our investments. This is both of our second marriages and we have no children, therefore we do what we enjoy. Because I ask a question on this board does not give you the right to attack my personal finances. Does this make you feel big to attack people of the CC board? Get a life, over 100 post since you joined two weeks ago. Why don't you come on up, I am sure my Husband and his golf buddies would love to show just what they can do with their putters!!!

LOL

Everything was said in jest! Did you not notice the smilies (multiple) I put in my posts to show you I was kidding or jesting? :)

I'm sorry you took them the wrong way. I'm sure your hubby is a super nice guy who is great at golf, like Tiger Woods. :p I jest I jest!!!

Maybe someday you can use that $200 putter to help rescue your hubby out of his Cadillac!!! Bazing!!! :D I kid I kid!!! Sorry I'm a bit of a smart ass and can't help myself. :o

Seriously, have fun on your cruise!!! The rest is all insignificant chatter.

I'm on here cause it's a slow Friday afternoon at work, and I'm reminiscing over my wonderful cruise last week. :) Of course this thread helped my afternoon pass much quicker! :D

PS I'll be here all week folks. Show times at 9, 11, and 1am. Tips optional!! /tips hat & bow...

I I wasnt able to prepay my gratuities because I used an online TA,

You can ask that TA to pre pay your tips. I have prepaid my tips on many cruises--its one less thing to worry about

Back on topic :rolleyes:

We always buy funship dollars to prepay our OBC. We just put in the address section to apply as OBC and our booking # room# and name. When I go on vacation I want everything possible prepaid from excursions to tips to fun gambling money. I don't have a credit card and I don't need one. This works for us, could care less what someone thinks about it. This is how WE cruise.

I've never had a problem having OBC applied to my account from buying funship dollars. They always say in my email confirmation that the credit will be applied a couple weeks before sailing but it shows up sooner.

This is a great option if it's what works for you!

Archived