Flamenco in Barcelona

We are taking the mediterreanean glamour cruise on the (HAL) Noordam which departs from Barcelona on July 26, 2010. My wife would like to take our 10 year old grandaughter to a flamenco show while we are there since she likes dancing. We were planning to arrive in Barcelona a day or 2 before embarking because the shows are probably in the evening. Are there any that are recommended and should we go for the dinner, tapas or just a drink. We would also like to stay at a decent hotel for 1 or 2 nights. Any suggestions out there.

We are taking the mediterreanean glamour cruise on the (HAL) Noordam which departs from Barcelona on July 26, 2010. My wife would like to take our 10 year old grandaughter to a flamenco show while we are there since she likes dancing. We were planning to arrive in Barcelona a day or 2 before embarking because the shows are probably in the evening. Are there any that are recommended and should we go for the dinner, tapas or just a drink. We would also like to stay at a decent hotel for 1 or 2 nights. Any suggestions out there.

The two I have found through these boards are as follows. The more expensive touristy one can be found through http://euro.wwte7.com/pub/agent.dll?...apid=718-30007 . There is a less expensive one found on Las Ramblas mentioned in this cc thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...elona+flamenco

Greetings from Barcelona.

Your 10-year old granddaughter might enjoy touring the "Pueblo Español" complex which is left over from one of the old World's Fairs in Barcelona and replicates the different regions in Spain.

The Andalusian area will probably have Flamenco dancing. I believe you can check out this complex on the Internet.

Other than that, Barcelona is not a city that is known for Flamenco dancing, since that is much more indigenous to the regions of Andalusia and even from there up to Madrid.

The few places that exist in Barcelona for Flamenco dancing are extreme tourist traps and, in any case, would be geared towards adults in the evening and not children.

As far as hotels, if you let me know your price range, lifestyle and tastes I would be more than happy to recommend a few.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

thanks for the input, I will let my wife know about the flamenco dancing. Is Andulucia too much of a trio from Barcelona. As far as a hotel, something in a decent area, less than 175 euros. I guess the most important factors would be clean and comfortable. This will be my first experience with euros. 1968

Hi 1968...

I'm going on the same cruise. We are flying in on the 24th and also looking for a hotel. Last time we used Le Meridan and loved it. If you are an auto club member the hotel will be 179E a night. We are now looking at the Royal Ramblas and Gran Hotel Torre Cataluyna for a change. We saw a Flamingo show last time in the old city area. Nice place to walk area as well. Anyone else have suggestions?

Hi oc323,

This is our first trip to the Mediterreanean and Barcelona. We are coming from Pennsyvania and we are in a quandry as when to arrive in Barcelona. It sounds like you've been there before. We will be flying overnight (leave about 5-7 PM and arrive the next day in the AM). Shoild we leave on Friday or Saturday. Probably be pretty tired upon arrival, get a good night's rest so we can do something Sunday. Our 10 year old grandaughter needs a a good 8 hours. Sounds like I just answered my own question. Have you sailed with HAL before? We have been on Carnival, Celebrity,Princess, Disney and NCL. RSVP

Hi oc323,

This is our first trip to the Mediterreanean and Barcelona. We are coming from Pennsyvania and we are in a quandry as when to arrive in Barcelona. It sounds like you've been there before. We will be flying overnight (leave about 5-7 PM and arrive the next day in the AM). Shoild we leave on Friday or Saturday. Probably be pretty tired upon arrival, get a good night's rest so we can do something Sunday. Our 10 year old grandaughter needs a a good 8 hours. Sounds like I just answered my own question. Have you sailed with HAL before? We have been on Carnival, Celebrity,Princess, Disney and NCL. RSVP

We are actually starting our journey on the 22nd of July. We will overnight it in Dallas to see family. This is a 2 hour time change. Then we start the next morning from Dallas to JFK a one hour time change. On the 23 we leave at 5-ish and arrive in Barcelona the next morning which is the 24th. This allows us to adjust to the change and feel refreshed on the 26th. I do remember we slept upon arrival to Barcelona and got up around 8 for dinner. Last time we flew almost the same route and found we did not lag once on the ship. The cruise is very port intensive...Let us know if you are interested in any private tours.

Debra

thanks for the input, I will let my wife know about the flamenco dancing. Is Andulucia too much of a trio from Barcelona. As far as a hotel, something in a decent area, less than 175 euros. I guess the most important factors would be clean and comfortable. This will be my first experience with euros. 1968

The poster wasn't suggesting you go to Andalucia which is the other end of Spain from Barcelona. Andalucia is where flamenco dancing originated, but if you follow the poster's suggestion and go to the Puebo Espanol on Mont Juic in Barcelona (it's a walled village with houses brought from all parts of Spain, so you get a little area that is say, Basque, another area that is typically Galician, and there is an area that is Andalucian.) There is a fairly authentic flamenco tabla to be found in this Andalucian area of the Pueblo Espanol.

This Flamenco dinner and show is appropriate for children:

http://www.tablaodecarmen.com/default.php?ap=reserva&lang=en

I would suggest doing dinner and the show since you are there anyway. They offer child tickets and child meals, so clearly this is a child friendly venue and production. The next day you could buy your granddaughter a Flamenco resin doll (about 16 Euros) as a memento of the experience at one of the various tourist shops. (There are also child-sized Flamenco costumes available.) So what, if this is a production for tourists? These are still professional dancers and I do think if your granddaughter likes dancing, she would enjoy it and I checked the reviews and adults like this show, too and say the food is great!

Hotels: The best place to stay, IMO is on or near Las Ramblas. Check out the Duquesa de Cardona. I stayed there last year and it was beautiful, clean and very up to date and the price was very reasonable. It is a 2 block walk to Las Ramblas and the hotel faces the waterfront. There are inexpensive restaurants next door with outdoor dining for a quick meal on your first night in Barcelona and have not had a chance to get your bearings yet.

A good place to look for other hotel suggestions is tripadvisor.com

I think your granddaughter would love Park Guell, btw:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/gaudi/park-guell.html

Suitetravler,

I agree with you on the show and area. I saw the show 2 years ago and there were many children there. The area in the Pueblo Espanol complex is very nice as well. If you are going to the show there you may want to arrive early and walk around. The shops were small and not overly priced. I do remember it was difficult getting a taxi back to the hotel. We stayed at the Le Meridan and loved it.

Archived