Cunard and the Canaries...

jax

What is it with Cunard and these islands? They are major destinations for all three ships for 2011. I wouldn't think there would be much to see or do at just one stop there but the Canary Islands will have multiple ports for all 3 Cunard ships next year.

What is it with Cunard and these islands? They are major destinations for all three ships for 2011. I wouldn't think there would be much to see or do at just one stop there but the Canary Islands will have multiple ports for all 3 Cunard ships next year.

It is entirely possible that the Canaries may be dropped in case any of the volcanoes smoke. We know how averse certain factions are to that and we wouldn't want to upset them, would we?

On a more serious note; it is a pleasant cruise to the sun and one doesn't need to disembark.

:)

The Canary Islands are all very different from each other and the coastlines are spectacular. Whilst I wouldn't want a land-based holiday there, I really enjoyed my cruise last November. There's plenty of culture (step pyramids etc) as well as plenty to interest wine lovers, bird watchers etc. However, I agree they are pushing them heavily - are they cheap destinations for cruise liners (port fees etc) ?

I for one, believe QM2 is neglecting the Hawaiian islands. We couldn't go four years ago as our daughter was a newborn. Our hopes were dashed yet again with the new itineraries. Too bad we weren't hoping for a stiff dose of European ports.

These islands are what the Caribbean islands are for the US East Coast - very convenient warm weather sailing distance from the UK in Autumn/Winter. It's not only Cunard but all Southampton based cruiseships that major on the Canaries during this season. As a previous poster stated they (plus Madeira) are an interesting range of destinations, each one with it's own culture and features (unlike many Caribbean islands!!).

Ken

I for one, believe QM2 is neglecting the Hawaiian islands. We couldn't go four years ago as our daughter was a newborn. Our hopes were dashed yet again with the new itineraries. Too bad we weren't hoping for a stiff dose of European ports.

I think the problem is that to get to Hawaii via California, QM2 would have to go round Cape Horn again and that itinerary does not seem to sell too well. QV and QE can sail through the canal - always a popular itinerary. Maybe in a few years when they open the new locks at Panama then QM2 will do more world cruises that take in the US West Coast and Hawaii.

Ken

I really dislike the Canaries, most of them aren't even scenic.

Not too bad in the depths of winter, otherwise I would avoid them, shame they send QM2 to Hawaii, I would be first on if she left the USA west cost and sailed over to the islands and further

Archived