Economy Delima

We are in the same boat (no pun intended). We have our own small hotel, and both work 100 hours a week. The travel business in Europe was very badly hit last year, with the hotels being one of the worst affected trades in Germany. Germans just did not spent money on holidays anymore. We lost several collegues who had to close down or went bankrupt.

UKBayern,

You don't realize how much you just cheered me up! My business have "something" to do with the German travel industry as well as the US Travel Industry.

I made the assumption that the Germans would probably be traveling more now with the strong euro. Business has slowed down there as well as the USA.

I am glad it is not just me! In Deflation, you get very angry, and always think it is only you. LOL.

At least, I am doing my part, staying the course, and doing my RCCL cruise! I am contributing to the world economy. Have Faith in the Future!

I notice you have a corner aft booked - not exactly the least expensive cabin on the ship. Since you say you can afford the cruise but seem to be very concerned about the economy, why not book a regular balcony and save some money? If I were in your shoes and felt the way you do, then I would figure out how to do the cruise, but just spend less.

Good idea to change cabins. I have checked into this but we booked this criuse early and with out balcony credit, I cannot get anything less expensive except for an inside. Problem is, DW has claustrophobia (sp) and must have a window. This is a real problem, not made up, she cannot have an MRI (even open MRI) without sedation. Oh, and no, we are not balcony snobs. ;)

As far as doing something less expensive, we have thought about staying home and just doing whatever we want. Well I have calculated that should we pamper ourselves and eat out every meal (which I will want to do as it is not much vaca if DW has to cook, or me for that matter) we will spend darn near $500 that week. Yes, we could fast food it for a week and spend less but don't think my waistline could take that. This is less than the cruise but not a bunch.

Another staycation minus, I would probably end up at the center a few times thinking I could get something done that normally cannot be completed with customers in the building. Normally that week we get the carpet cleaned, parking lot sealed and stripes painted, and other deep cleaning (my cleaning employees are very good about getting this done while we are gone). I know I can find something that needs done and I will go. No, I am not a workaholic but I do what has to be done.

Someone suggested a less expensive time to travel. Unfortunately during Memorial Day weekend there is a celebration in our area that takes business away from us so we choose it to close as well as the following week since that is one of the slowest weeks of the year. We have to take that week or it will cost us dollars at the bowl.

I know I keep shooting down suggestions and I feel very bad about it because all of you are so nice to offer your opinions. I am listening to each and every post, I just really need "talk" this out. It sure has helped even though it might not show.

Tim

Good attitude, Deban. Just now I have prayed for your family, and I trust things will go well for your daughter.

Kathy

Thank-you we leave for the doctors in a bout an hour. We appreciate all your prayers

I didn't read the whole thread but my motto is you only live once, so do what you want now...you never know what tomorrow will bring - I say go and have fun!

This past Sept my DH had a heart attack. Fortunately he is fine now, but he very well could have had a different outcome :eek: So as I write this, he is at the airport with my 21 y/o DS waiting to board a flight to Tampa for Yankees spring training. He has always wanted to do this, so I just booked it and told them to goooo :D You never know what tomorrow will bring...that's why I'm going on Oasis this July...why wait??? ;)

EXACTLY. I'm 70 years old. I didn't grow up feeling I was owed a cruise! (Actually, I'm not a good example, though, because we were so poor we never even had a vacation.) But many people these days have such a sense of entitlement. I just feel such a concern for them.

Kathy

Similarly, I worry about a number of my students who will ONLY work if conditions are just right: They feel that they shouldn't have to do much of anything on Mondays and Fridays and certainly not the day before a holiday, or if it's too hot (that's a big one, even though we do have air conditioning). If we've come in late because of snow/ice, they think the rest of the day should be a "gimmee". And on any given day they feel that half a day's classwork should be adequate -- but, of course, they want to know why they don't all have As . . . or at least Bs!

Of course, I'm not talking about ALL of my students, but a large number have a very questionable work ethic. I fear that the world will not be kind to them.

We can survive for about six months without income. After that who knows.

Yes it was budgeted but just kind of afraid to spend it. We buy very little for each other on our anniversary, birthday, mother/father days, or Christmas. Also, since we both work at the center, our grocery bill is next to nothing since we eat most of our meals there. This is where most of our cruise money comes from.

There is no right/wrong answer to this question. As others have said, you never know what tomorrow might bring. For that matter, I may not wake up in the morning to read the following posts. HOWEVER, this does not mean I can just go out and do what I want, I have to consider all outcomes.

Again, thanks for all the posts and keep them comming. I have learned much from this thread and have enjoyed others opinions. THEY HAVE HELPED!

I will come back once the decision has been finalized.

Tim

I can understand that feeling. I also agree with someone who said that you might need more. I personally have probably double that because I work in an industry where it is pretty normal to be out of work for 6 months. I would say that you and your spouse need to sit down and talk about what a good amount would be. Once you get to that point I wouldn't stress about it too much. Of course I agree here with everyone else that said you have to make sure you have retirement planned for etc...

Great comment!

Frankly, some of these well-meaning responses are a bit disturbing. Just because we are tired, or just because we have sickness, or just because we have "budgeted" (depends on what that means--does that mean you have the $$$ in hand?) for something like a cruise doesn't mean we are entitled to it. That's a great part of the problem in this economy. Some people are losing houses because they didn't use their money wisely. (I realize that is not always the case--but often.) Some have racked up huge credit card bills, etc. Some spend every penny that comes their way and have nothing in reserve if they should lose their jobs. They feel they should deny themselves nothing. (Hence Ummgood's concern.)

Again, I'm not saying that's the attitude of everyone who has commented, but it seems to be the attitude of some. I don't think I've described my concern very coherently because I'm writing this during the commercials of "Extreme Makeover Home Addition" (!), but I feel strongly that we need to be very careful regarding our expectations.

OP, I trust you'll make the right decision, and if you go - have a GREAT time. Not saying OP should not go, but Ummgood has made a very good point.

Kathy

I made the comment because I was a bit floored by all the comments about improving the economy by spending. I am personally from a standpoint that if people spent what they can afford and budgeted for that then the economy would be a better place. Yeah it would hurt right now if everyone did that because in reality the entire world would have to come back to a more reasonable level and that reset would hurt but then I think the economy would be more stable as people are less likely to panic at the least bit of bad news. (but that is what the news likes so they will never promote that type of thinking.)

I also agree with others here who state that you don't have to spend money to have a great vacation. When my wife and I were first married and had to do cheap vacations by camping etc... we had more stories and happy memories than we seem to get now spending money going on cruises, tours, etc...

Maybe we need to camp some more?

Good idea to change cabins. I have checked into this but we booked this cruise early and with out balcony credit, I cannot get anything less expensive except for an inside. Problem is, DW has claustrophobia (sp) and must have a window. This is a real problem, not made up, she cannot have an MRI (even open MRI) without sedation. Oh, and no, we are not balcony snobs. ;)

Tim

Since you haven't made final payment, could you cancel this particular cruise and book another that does have a less expensive option?

Understand the week is fixed, but can't you change to another line?

Due to the way in which RCCL took care of us when we had the emergency of our center burning while on a cruise, we will only sail RCCL. Not doing this trying to make it sound as if RCCL is better than anyone (I cannot judge due to never sailing any other line) they just handled the situation so well for us we cannot jump ship, yes pun intended. ;)

Tim

Tim I think you REALLY want to go on this trip. Sounds like you have money saved and your business isn't going under, is it?

YES!!! I really want to go on this cruise. NO!!! I don't want to spend the money. This is kind of like want your cake and eat it too.

No our business is not going under. Hopefully the economy is gonna turn around we will be able to get more customers in our center. Things have been tough this past year. If next year is as tough as this has been, well, let's just hope it does not get any tougher.

Tim

I would be a lousy person to give advice - my husband is self-employed and I work full-time (always have) - we have found that "someone" has to have that steady salary to keep you afloat. We have a 15 year mortgage (decided on paying the house off sooner than later). Our house is nice but nothing fabulous - we were considering on "moving up" but decided against it - that would mean a 30 year mortgage and, if something were to happen, no "breathing room".

He is having probably his worst start in about ten years with his business (he does drain cleaning). It was a shock - usually, in the bad economies, he does well (people staying home and clogging those drains). Our first thing was to cut back on expenses - we were actually considering refinancing our mortgage next - but it hasn't gone that far yet.

We have a cruise booked for July and final payment due in two weeks - are we going? Most definitely. It's our one big vacation a year and we can't take it with us. We are pretty "financially responsible" the rest of the year - this money won't make us or break us.

Having said that - I see that Tim has taken two cruises a year - we had some years we did that but cut back to one. Perhaps that is the answer?

We have a cruise booked for July and final payment due in two weeks - are we going? Most definitely. It's our one big vacation a year and we can't take it with us. We are pretty "financially responsible" the rest of the year - this money won't make us or break us.

Having said that - I see that Tim has taken two cruises a year - we had some years we did that but cut back to one. Perhaps that is the answer?

This is really the attitude I have. We are financially responsible 51 weeks a year and "this money won't make or break us."

We have been taking two cruises a year but this has been totally accidental, even though we have done it a few years. The second cruise we have been up taking has been either so inexpensive it was too good to pass up or a good reason, hence DW 50th birthday this past Oct. Two a year is probably not gonna happen for a while now.

We are going to decide what we are going to do by the end of the week and I WILL let everyone know what our decision will be.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Tim

Well, as most probably know, we have made final payment on our cruise in question.

Thanks again for all the posts, they really did help and were all considered.

Once we finally sat down and talked it out, we made our decision. It was not an easy one but we decided to go for it.

One of the things we decided on was to not "plan" our criuse for next year, just take it easy and see what happens. This is not gonna be easy for me as I am cruise crazy. LOL

Again thanks for all the posts. Hopefully I will be able to help some of you in the future.

Tim

Archived