Thomson Spirit Bar List current prices

The all-inclusive drinks package is expensive and does not include bottled water nor does it include bottles of wine in the restaurant (though you can have wine by the glass there which they pour from bottles anyway). Several drinks have a hefty supplement on them even if you have already paid for the all-inclusive drinks package e.g. Baileys or Southern Comfort £1.05 on top.

The drinks prices honestly aren't too bad anyway if you're used to pub or restaurant prices and if you decide not to go all-inclusive and there are daily specials and 'happy hour' buy1get1free cocktail offers and plenty of generous all-inclusive new friends to be found amongst your shipmates ;)

Also, if you're going on several day trips you'll not be on the ship to drink very much so do add up what you think you'll drink before you decide on pre-paying the drinks package.

Bear in mind too that you get some drinks included in the holiday price i.e. tap water, milk, tea and coffee at mealtimes (fruit juices at breakfast) in the waiter service Compass Rose restaurant. There is hot and cold water on tap (plus ice) available 24 hrs a day at Lido self service restaurant, coffee, milk, tea bags (PG, English Breakfast, mint, lemon etc). Oh and from early breakfast until 11:30am there are fruit juices, orange, pineapple, tomato, grapefruit, apple available there to help yourself to.

TOP TIPS!

Take insulated mugs with lids to take hot drinks back to cabins or even to take into the show lounge from the Lido self service restaurant. People were bringing in mugs of hot drinks anyway they'd made in the Lido, it's quite fine to do so. They have coffee and teas but don't seem to have hot chocolate to help yourself to in the Lido so if you like milky drinks like that then take some instant sachets of Options choc drink powder or those instant Cappuccino ones (all from your local supermarket) rather than buy the speciality coffees in the bars.

Keep your empty water bottles to fill with the iced water from the Lido or pay 90p a small bottle.

Buy wines and spirits in the duty free shop onboard which opens once the ship sails - cheaper than Tesco a litre of Vodka was £7.95 for example and you are free to drink them in your cabin unlike almost all other cruise lines which don't like you enjoying yourself unless they can profit.

Buy sweets/chocs/munchies oh shore or bring with you. We bought a bag of M&Ms to eat in the cinema from the ships's shop and it was £5.50 for the same size bag as you get for £2 or less at home.

Any more tips people please do add them :)

Another useful post grannypops and with clear advice and tips.

Another one is that you can buy bottled water on shore and take it on board - Thomson don't stop you. If you can find a local supermarket close to the dock (you wouldn't want to be carrying half a dozen water bottles round town!:eek: ) you can find small bottles of water quite cheaply. We bought some 500ml bottles for less than the equivalent of 30p in La Palma. We used them for trips out for the rest of the holiday.

Also spirits are often good value on Thomsonfly - 2 X 1Litre bottles of such as Bacardi, Smirnoff, Teachers etc for £18 - at least I think that's correct last time we travelled. You can stock up on the outward journey - but we didn't find the prices any better value than the duty free on board - it's just a matter of if you see your favourite tipple at a good price it may be worth getting it whilst you can. :)

Hi Kruzseeka

Good idea to get water in the ports cheaply and always make sure the bottles are properly sealed - preferably buy from 'proper' shops - we have been warned on several trips that street vendors in Egypt for example can be dodgy and refill used water bottles with water that wouldn't be safe for our delicate tummies :eek:

All sorts of nasties can be lurking in even clear looking water.

You see the locals drinking straight from the Nile if you do a cruise there, I guess they become immune to the bugs!

Where did you fly to? I am pretty sure they were not selling in flight duty free spirits or tobacco on the UK --> Paphos (Cyprus) --> UK flights, only the gifts and perfumes etc were being sold. It's to do with EU/NON EU destinations isn't it?

Hi Kruzseeka

Good idea to get water in the ports cheaply and always make sure the bottles are properly sealed - preferably buy from 'proper' shops - we have been warned on several trips that street vendors in Egypt for example can be dodgy and refill used water bottles with water that wouldn't be safe for our delicate tummies :eek:

You see the locals drinking straight from the Nile if you do a cruise there, I guess they become immune to the bugs!

Where did you fly to? I am pretty sure they were not selling in flight duty free spirits or tobacco on the UK --> Paphos (Cyprus) --> UK flights, only the gifts and perfumes etc were being sold. It's to do with EU/NON EU destinations isn't it?

We flew to Tenerife with them for the December cruise and they had both cigs and spirits for sale aboard.

I know the canaries has a special tax status, but still in the EU.

And when we flew to Italy last June both were offered for sale then too.

Just a shame we don't smoke or drink spirits, so no advantage for us.

Berwyn

it was confusing some people on the ship about cigarette allowances. Several passengers had bought loads of them either in the ports at Turkey/Egypt or in the ship's duty free shop only to find that just one carton of 200 each are allowed when you disembark the ship after the cruise - i.e. when you are entering Cyprus again!

Apparently your cases are scanned and you get fined even if you are prepared to relinquish the excess. Once back at Paphos airport though, getting your flight home, you can buy 3200 each at the duty free shop in the airside terminal.:)

Hi Kruzseeka

Good advice about street vendors!

Now you've got me thinking grannypops - we last flew to Sharm and I'm not altogether sure now whether spirits were for sale on the plane :confused: ! We bought our duty free spirits on Celebration and packed them in the suitcases (but only 1L each!!). That's always depending on you having enough margin in your cases not to go over the weight limit! Otherwise the xs payable makes the drinks more expensive than the supermarket at home! :eek:

They were being advertised in the brochure on the plane but that's nothing to go by!! The time before we flew into Corfu which would be EU so I think the duty free sales were available then, perhaps that's what I'm remembering! :confused: It's all very confusing - if they're offered on the plane - great - if not the ship's duty free's a good bet. If you're thinking of buying spirits on the plane on the way back though it would be a good idea to check on the outward journey that they are available!!

Archived