Virgin Gorda Baths with 11 month old

mel77gap

We are trying to decide if we should do the Virgin Gorda Baths in Tortola with a 11 month old, my parents will be with us to help out. Does anyone have any opinions about if this excursion is ok for a little one?? Thanks(:

CeleBrat (a poster here) did Virgin Gorda with her kids and reviewed the experience (and her entire cruise) here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1047076

I followed her experience with great interest because I've always wanted to do the baths and have been waiting until my kids were old enough. I am going to say that at 11 months, it would be very tough. There seems to be alot of squeezing and bending and crouching -- so how would you do that if you were carrying or wearing a 11 month old -- it would be tough. Not impossible. Nothing is impossible. ;) But I would say it would be tough.

Hoping CeleBrat sees this thread. :D

In all honesty I wouldn't attempt to carry/wear an 11 month old through the caves. You will most likely be stressed out and you won't enjoy it. Trust me. If you take turns with your parents that is a different story. Have them sit on the beach while you go through, then come back and let them go. I wouldn't attempt to do it all together.

CeleBrat (a poster here) did Virgin Gorda with her kids and reviewed the experience (and her entire cruise) here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1047076

I followed her experience with great interest because I've always wanted to do the baths and have been waiting until my kids were old enough. I am going to say that at 11 months, it would be very tough. There seems to be alot of squeezing and bending and crouching -- so how would you do that if you were carrying or wearing a 11 month old -- it would be tough. Not impossible. Nothing is impossible. ;) But I would say it would be tough.

Hoping CeleBrat sees this thread. :D

CeleBrat here, checking in. Thanks for the shout-out cruisinmama06!

I would say NO to an 11 month old at the Baths. It would be very difficult to try and carry them through the rocks. We found we needed our hands to stabilize ourselves along the walls as we climbed up and over boulders and whatnot.

There is also a beach at the Baths, but due to the surrounding rocks, the undertow was very strong, and a few times we got "bashed" on the rocks by the waves.

CeleBrat

I wouldn't attempt it. I fell on the rocks that were slippery and slimy and I was wearing good swim shoes. Yes, there's lots of crouching and rough terrain. The beach when we got there dropped off dramatically. It was neat to see, but I wouldn't rush there again, and especially not with a little one.

You dock in Tortola, and then have to take a ferry to Virgin Gorda and then a bus/van ride to get to the Baths. And back. It's an all day excursion, and can be tiring even for an adult. My oldest DD and SIL did this when we were on HAL, and loved it, but were exhausted at the end of the day. I've been to the Baths many times (tendered in on a dinghy from a tall ship), and can repeat what others have said. The beach area itself is quite small, and surrounded by the large boulders and smaller rocky areas on both sides. The caves, while unique and beautiful, are dark inside in some areas, and do require maneuvering. They actually aren't "caves", but large granite slabs that have fallen against each other to create narrow walk-ways, and have shallow water at the bottom. There's no set "trail" - you just kind of wander through. The beach area is great for experienced snorkeling, but not plain swimming, as the water is rough. There are also a lot of small motorized boats going in and out from private vessels. The area behind the beach is quite steep, and the last time I was there, there were no facilities directly on the beach - you had to climb up narrow and sandy steps to get to an area with some shops, a pool, a restaurant, and restroom facilities. Tevas or beach shoes were good, but definitely not bare feet! There's no shade, other than inside the "caves" which have water in the bottoms. It's definitely not a place for a baby. On this same cruise to Tortola (HAL), I took a taxi to Cane Garden Bay (about 25-min. over hilly, twisty-windy roads) and stayed for the day. It has a very pretty large beach with good sand, calm and shallow water, plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas, restaurants, and clean restrooms. I saw a number of young kids enjoying themselves there. I'm just letting you know my experiences. Enjoy your cruise!

We did it in January with our 13 month old. It was tough, but not impossible. DH carried DD and I lugged the stroller. We had a great time at the beach at the other side. Would I do it again, maybe not. Especially if I thought Tortolla/VG is a place I might visit again (and I would!).

At one point there is a steep rock that rope to help pull you up. At another point there is a 5 foot ladder going up to a low-ceilinged area.

It is doable with at least two adults, but some parts will be difficult.

Thanks so much for your suggestions about doing this excursion with a little one(: We were planning on taking turns with the grandparents but I think we'll skip this one for now(: Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do In Tortola, should we try and do a half day in Virgin Gorda or shouls we do something else in Tortola???

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do In Tortola, should we try and do a half day in Virgin Gorda or shouls we do something else in Tortola???

Did you see what Imsulin suggested above? I will repost it here. Sounds like a perfect suggestion. :)

On this same cruise to Tortola (HAL), I took a taxi to Cane Garden Bay (about 25-min. over hilly, twisty-windy roads) and stayed for the day. It has a very pretty large beach with good sand, calm and shallow water, plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas, restaurants, and clean restrooms. I saw a number of young kids enjoying themselves there. I'm just letting you know my experiences.

Did you see what Imsulin suggested above? I will repost it here. Sounds like a perfect suggestion. :)

On this same cruise to Tortola (HAL), I took a taxi to Cane Garden Bay (about 25-min. over hilly, twisty-windy roads) and stayed for the day. It has a very pretty large beach with good sand, calm and shallow water, plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas, restaurants, and clean restrooms. I saw a number of young kids enjoying themselves there. I'm just letting you know my experiences.

Thanks, Michelle! I will also add that the taxi I took actually had seatbelts, (think I mentioned this before) so I would definitely recommend bringing a carseat. Tortola is quite hilly, but the ride over to Cane Garden Bay was very scenic, with ocean views most of the time. I negotiated a r/t price with the taxi driver before we left the pier, and he met me at CGB the designated time to take me back to the ship. The BVI (and the Grenadines) are my favorite places in the Caribbean! I like the British influences.

Archived