Is there anything you changed your mind about buying on board and then regretted it?

Jeafl

It sounds so stupid but on our first cruise, I didn't buy a funship Freddy stuffed toy. It's dumb I know, I am an adult. We went on several cruises and of course they were always on sale, and I didn't buy one. I would always think about it after I got home. Finally I bought a Funship Freddy stuff toy for $9.00 on the cruise ship and he sits on our bed reminding us of the next cruise coming up.......

Ooooh! I need to get one of those! Funship Freddy gives my husband the creeps, I'd love to plant that thing around the house to freak him out from time to time, LOL!

I regret not buying that 4.5 Lt. bottle of Johnny Black in the girft shop. Unfortunatly, they would not rent me a forklift at the port of Miami to unload it. Maybe next time I will buy it, crate it up, and send it heavy cargo......

I'm a photographer, and only buy family shots on the ship since it's the only time I ever show up in any photos :rolleyes:. I was pleased with most of the images I took of my own family. I do however regret not buying the photos from our Stingray City tour. They were about $100 for 20 or so images, but I was confident that the ones I shot would be just fine. I only had my waterproof point and shoot on that tour, and the quality was garbage compared to the pro equipment the tour guide had. I hadn't used a P&S in forever, and forgot about the dramatic quality difference:( I should have known better!

I regret not buying the ship's models until after our fourth cruise.

RWolver,

Have your tried getting the ones you missed on ebay or asking someone from CC to get one for you? I did the same thing you did and missed the first 2. I was able to get them later though through the generosity of other CruiseCritic members who picked them up for me on their cruises.

BTW, Which ones are you missing?

I regret not buying the video of myself and my husband riding horses in the ocean during the excursion in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. It was a dream of mine to ride a horse in the ocean. I got to ride in three of the groups that went out and had a ball.

The video was $25.00 and I am such a cheapskate. I thought that I had already spent enough on the cruise.

To this day I regret it because those were the best pictures my kids ever took. The photographer really captured each of their personalities. I really could kick myself for not spending the stupid $60.
I have also reqretted not buying pictures too!!!!!!! :(
Thats my biggest regret..listening to them and not buying that picture. I'll never get another shot like that.

This is one of the things I continually tell people!

At the moment, you think those pictures are "expensive"...

But in actuality:

#1 Those are moments in time that you can never get back, and never truly duplicate! That alone makes it your best cruise souvenir investment.

#2 The Carnival photographers for the most part are really good. Take advantage of them. Run around to all the stations, take as many pictures as possible, let them take pictures on the gangplank, or at dinner - you'll never know which ones end up with everyone looking great - then choose the best and the ones you love at the end of the cruise. This is such a good bang for your buck as far as photography goes, and most people don't realize it.

#3 Compared to a lot of photography packages in Malls and Portrait Shops across America - the ones you get on a ship are a great deal. Most of the time in land situations, you have to buy a "package" - and you're going to end up paying about the same as you would on a ship. Why suddenly be so frugal about this on the ship? Just consider that you've already bought one of those "Mall Photography Packages" and they're providing you with portraits from all the evenings and days events for your cruise. Then just buy the best pictures, and consider that your "Cruise Photography Package". It's the same thing, just in a different way.

#4 Put the cruise photography in your Budget! These are going to be some of your best, long lasting, cruise souvenirs that are unique to you and your family.

Now that my father has passed away, I'm so grateful that my parents spent the money on the Cruise Photographs. They are some of the best (and only) pictures of my dad with the family (because in the rest of life, he was always the one behind the camera).

Now that I'm married, I'm so glad that I've got pictures of my wife and I on our first cruise together - before we were even engaged. It's the time that we really "fell in love"; and that is captured in the Cruise Photos we bought.

Those genuine moments in time can only be captured once. And they are definitely "worth" $60 or $95 or whatever. They are the only cruise purchase that will increase in "value" over time.;)

There's my personal perspective from a lifetime of cruising. I've got photos from every cruise I've been on, and I'm so glad that they were purchased.

If this helps some newbies reading this - I'm happy to give you my perspective.

Enjoy!:cool:

We are sailing the Victory in May, our first cruise. What types of things are available on board to buy? I know about the pictures, but as far as souveniers and that kind of thing, what is there? Sorry for the newbie/rookie question, but I'm trying to figure out a budget for the cruise, at least a ballpark. I do plan to pick up a few pictures, but since hubby is a camera buff, I'd say we'll have a ton of pics on our own. Someone mentioned models... happen to have a pic?

Thanks.

On both my cruises, they would have a t-shirt sale on the last sea day.

2 for $20. By one get one type of thing.

Both times they had plenty to choose from if you need a Carnival Souvenir.

The first cruise I didn't see a Friendship Freddy stuffed doll,

but I did get two Friendship Freddy blow up things, weighted feet, and about 3 feet tall.

One for the Grandson 5,

One for the Adult son, cuz what do you get them?

Our cruise was in Nov.

I came home, had Freddy all blown up and standing on his kitchen table. Well it had gotten dark by the time he got home.

I still have his voice message to me on my old phone...

and I will never give up that recording, it was priceless.

"If your trying to scare the hell out of me, that worked..."

Freddy can be a little scary :D

I bought the stuffed Freddy, as a gift for my soon to be Grandson,

to take on his first cruise, next Jan. At 7mo. that should be just perfect for him to tote around...

And do not buy the gift watches, they are purdy, but only one use before they fall apart.

Not good souvenirs.

Spend the same money on the photo you were not going to get. You will want at least one.

and buy the gifts to take home at the T-shirt sale or in port.

But in actuality:

#1 Those are moments in time that you can never get back, and never truly duplicate! That alone makes it your best cruise souvenir investment.

#2 The Carnival photographers for the most part are really good. Take advantage of them. Run around to all the stations, take as many pictures as possible, let them take pictures on the gangplank, or at dinner - you'll never know which ones end up with everyone looking great - then choose the best and the ones you love at the end of the cruise. This is such a good bang for your buck as far as photography goes, and most people don't realize it.

#3 Compared to a lot of photography packages in Malls and Portrait Shops across America - the ones you get on a ship are a great deal. Most of the time in land situations, you have to buy a "package" - and you're going to end up paying about the same as you would on a ship. Why suddenly be so frugal about this on the ship? Just consider that you've already bought one of those "Mall Photography Packages" and they're providing you with portraits from all the evenings and days events for your cruise. Then just buy the best pictures, and consider that your "Cruise Photography Package". It's the same thing, just in a different way.

#4 Put the cruise photography in your Budget! These are going to be some of your best, long lasting, cruise souvenirs that are unique to you and your family.

Now that my father has passed away, I'm so grateful that my parents spent the money on the Cruise Photographs. They are some of the best (and only) pictures of my dad with the family (because in the rest of life, he was always the one behind the camera).

Now that I'm married, I'm so glad that I've got pictures of my wife and I on our first cruise together - before we were even engaged. It's the time that we really "fell in love"; and that is captured in the Cruise Photos we bought.

Those genuine moments in time can only be captured once. And they are definitely "worth" $60 or $95 or whatever. They are the only cruise purchase that will increase in "value" over time.;)

There's my personal perspective from a lifetime of cruising. I've got photos from every cruise I've been on, and I'm so glad that they were purchased.

I agree totally. Very good newbie advice, we always take alot of pictures and are sometimes surprised. We don't photograph well, but if you take advantage of the photo stations, you can end up with one that is priceless.

But in actuality:

You are absolutely right, and now I feel even WORSE that I didn't buy those stupid pictures! I won't make that mistake again.

We bought (3) 8x10's and a 5x7 from when we first boarded the ship I just wish they offered different options like a cd of your pictures on the ship for $100 or even $200 (depending on how many pictures are on that cd) or 4x6 sizes...not 8x10's....I mean what are we going to do with a TON of 8x10's haha...they didn't scan that well, but in person they look GREAT! :D

Yes, I had regretted not getting one of the neat porthole frames on our '07 cruise. So my sister picked one up for me as a surprise during our cruise last fall. It looks really neat on our wall, framing my fave pic taken of the cruise with me and my family in the ocean and 7 Mile Beach in GC.

We don't drink and do VERY little gambling. But we buy photos like crazy!! I just like having them. I even bought the one the last time of my daughter (she's 25) when the pirate sort of grabbed her outside the MDR! The look on her face was priceless. I also liked the one of my husband, my grown son, and my son-in-law with the feather-clad showgirl. Line us up for a photo and I buy it!:D

I always let them take my picture and I don't think I take pics that well, so when they catch a good one I buy it.

One of my favorites is from last Fall on the Dream. We were getting off the ship in Barcelona and I was on the gangplank for "that" picture. Someone did something funny and I laughed. That's when he took my picture and I love it. Still makes me happy when I think about the cruise. (I guess that's why I couldn't wait to go back and do it again on the Magic).

oh, oh, oh and when we were sailing into Venice I was on the Lido deck and they came around and took pictures with Venice in the background. Love it.http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/NadineA_photos/Dream%20Cruise/NadineOnDreamInVenice.jpg[/img]"]NadineOnDreamInVenice.jpg

I bought a small globe on our first Carnival cruise. It is about 2.5 inches across and half filled with sand and shells and a Carnival logo on the outside. I passed on the one that was about 6 inches across.

A couple of years later I realized that I could open the bottom (it wasn't glued). So I started putting more shells into it from each cruise and a little sand from that beach, and a peseta that I found on the beach in Cabo....................now it's full and I wish I had bought the big one.

You can't find them anymore.

I always let them take my picture and I don't think I take pics that well, so when they catch a good one I buy it.

One of my favorites is from last Fall on the Dream. We were getting off the ship in Barcelona and I was on the gangplank for "that" picture. Someone did something funny and I laughed. That's when he took my picture and I love it. Still makes me happy when I think about the cruise. (I guess that's why I couldn't wait to go back and do it again on the Magic).

oh, oh, oh and when we were sailing into Venice I was on the Lido deck and they came around and took pictures with Venice in the background. Love it.http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/NadineA_photos/Dream%20Cruise/NadineOnDreamInVenice.jpg[/img]"]NadineOnDreamInVenice.jpg

Great picture - can't wait to cruise with you next year. You can share all of Europe's secrets with us:rolleyes:

I like to buy Christmas ornaments from places where we visit. I regret not purchasing a hand-made ornament that I saw in Puerto Rico over Christmas. I did get one at Megan's Bay in St. Thomas. However, we will be in San Juan at the end of May and I am going to buy the ornament this time! :)

Just a word of caution: Though some places are noted for buying jewelry, don't always expect to find the best quality in those ports. We shopped around in places in San Juan and then compared the prices and quality to St. Thomas. The weight of jewelry in St. Thomas was less than San Juan in a few places even though the price was the same or higher. We ended up getting much better deals in a place in Old San Juan. It pays to shop around! :)

I would have chosen not to spend $400 on spa treatment!

Then again, it was our honeymoon, and we did the 90 minute couple's hot stone massage, plus there was a full body exfoliation as part of the price. And, that money had been given to us to enjoy ourselves however we wanted. But never being able to splurge like that in real life, and having to be pretty aware of our spendings, I can't help but feel buyer's remorse still just a little.

We went on our first cruise last September and bought both the ship video and the port video. When we got home and finally watched them I was really disappointed. We had taken our 12 and 14 yr old daughters with us and I just assumed the ship video was going to include all sorts of aspects of the trip, including things such as bits and pieces from the shows, some footage of the Circle C activities (and other kids groups too), etc. Unfortunately it seems that the video focuses primarily on the "partying" aspect. The port video was better but still not worth the $$ to me. In the future I won't waste my money and would suggest other families think twice as well if they are looking for something like we were.

How long are the videos?

Archived