London Group Sightseeing Tours

I did a hop on/hop off open top bus tour (so that I would know what they were like when someone asked on this forum - dedication is my middle name ;) ) last time I was in London and it was very good.

I think the freedom it gives you to spend more time at the particular places that interest you and then continue with your tour is excellent.

The guides I experienced were very amusing and kept the facts and figures coming.

I would recommend doing that unless your group is very large and then there may be some economy in booking a tailor made tour.

Nick.

I have seen this page, but i would appreciate any recommendations you might have.
In addition to what Nick says, I thought I'd have a look at what that site returns (I used a 2 person search). It seems to me that if you're going to take up any of the tours they offer, you should look at the offers with a critical eye to see whether you could do it better without them.

For example:-

• The Jack the Ripper tour might be better done as a walking tour - look in Time Out for times and places to meet (Time Out is London's listings bible, out every Tuesday for the week commencing Wednesday, on sale at all newsagents and newsstands)
  • The hop-on hop-off tour is probably just as easily done booked yourself, although if this site is giving a discount, then it might be worth your while (you should know that there are two main companies who do this)
  • Westminster Abbey and the Changing of the Guard would be a waste of money - you can go to Buckingham Palace on the Tube and then walk 15 minutes to Westminster Abbey all by yourself
  • The half day Windsor coach tours plus something in central London just don't make sense - you can do the central London things under your own steam without having to combine it with a trek out of town, which is what Windsor is

But going out to the Cotswolds under your own steam may be more effort than you're prepared to put in - you'd have to rent a car and drive yourself - so a coach tour might be good for that.

Just don't take anything at face value.

• 1 month later...
Yes...quite good.Do all the routes.

Is it a good idea to reserve tours ahead of time? I am wondering if there is a difference price-wise between doing it online or waiting? Also, we are interested in doing a tour outside of London to see a castle and Stratford area. Will I need to book these in advance to be assured of having them available? Our travel dates are Apr. 25-27. Thanks in advance for your input!

Pam

Pam,

you will not have to book any open top bus tour of London and I don't think there are any savings to be made by booking in advance.

I would think that you will have no problems getting a tour to Stratford, or any where else for that matter, once you are in London but it may be worth booking one if you see one that you think will suit you.

Nick.

Archived