Alaska cruisers please help me decide:)

luv2gonow

Hi,

Ok I'm dying to cruise to Alaska next summer....my 40th birthday:D

I was all hooked on the Spirit which actually leaves on my birthday of

7-26....I looked at all other lines going to Alaska......Disney(same itinerary)....fuggetaboutit.....lol.....3000 more for a balcony....and still 1000 more than the Aft Wrap on Spirit:eek:

NCL is 500 bucks more pp for Balcony(Spirit)......on the Pearl....BUT it goes to Glacier Bay.

Please look at this itinerary and help me decide...

Norwegian Pearl

Seattle...depart 4pm

Inside Passage Ak, Cruising...(what is this...Is this Tracy Arm Fiord??)

Juneau.....2pm-10pm

Skagway...7am-8pm

Glacier Bay National Park Cruising ..Cruising

Ketchikan 6am 1:30pm

Victoria. B.C...6pm-11:59

Seattle....

Ok.....heres Carnival Spirit

Seattle

At Sea....where are they????close to coast with same view as Pearl???

Cruise Tracy Arm Fiord......( Is this the "inside passage"???)

Skagway 7am-9pm

Juneau 7am-3pm

Ketchikan 7am-1pm

Victoria B.C 7:30pm-midnight.

So My real question is Is the Inside passage the same on the Pearll (Is this Tracy.arm Fiord).....and Is Glacier Bay the real point of the 500 difference.

Thanks

Kerri

I would do Carnival for the fact that you get to Juneau alot earlier. I would not want to sacrifice my time there. I loved it and the whale watching was fabulous. This is an awesome cruise and you will not be disappointed.

Thanks.....do you happen to know is the is Tracy Fiord.....the "inside passage" or is it different??

Thanks for your response.

I can't wait to see all of the beautiful scenerey:D

Tracy Arm Fjord is not the same as the inside passage. The inside passage is a narrow strip of water that is very deep and has waterfalls and wildlife both on shore and in the water. Very, very beautiful! Tracy Arm Fjord is an absolute wonderful tour through a series of glaciers that is remarkable. Glacier Bay is a different set of glaciers.

My opinion is go with Carnival. Use the extra 500 on your excursions since they are quite expensive on any Alaskan cruise. You will love both the inside passage and Tracy Arm Fjord.

Any the Spirit was the best of our past 7 cruises. We are leaving on it's sister ship, the Miracle, next week to Panama and we cannot wait! Book quickly and enjoy your cruise.:D

P.S. Make sure to post a review when you return.

You might want to check out the Alaska boards to get more info on the differences between Tracy Arm & Glacier Bay and the different cruiselines. There is TONS of great info on there, and a lot of the posters are from the area or have been on many Alaskan trips.

I've been on there a lot researching my own trip for 2011, we've decided on HAL since for us Glacier Bay is a can't miss! But, everyone has different priorities.

Have fun whatever you decide!

Jenn

Thanks everyone.....I think i will head over and look on the Alaska

Boards..Duh...thanks:o

Also....wondering....on the Spirit....the 1st day is a "fun day at sea".....Is this the inside passage?????

Thanks

K

Hi,

Ok I'm dying to cruise to Alaska next summer....my 40th birthday:D

I was all hooked on the Spirit which actually leaves on my birthday of

7-26....I looked at all other lines going to Alaska......Disney(same itinerary)....fuggetaboutit.....lol.....3000 more for a balcony....and still 1000 more than the Aft Wrap on Spirit:eek:

NCL is 500 bucks more pp for Balcony(Spirit)......on the Pearl....BUT it goes to Glacier Bay.

Please look at this itinerary and help me decide...

Norwegian Pearl

Seattle...depart 4pm

Inside Passage Ak, Cruising...(what is this...Is this Tracy Arm Fiord??)

Juneau.....2pm-10pm

Skagway...7am-8pm

Glacier Bay National Park Cruising ..Cruising

Ketchikan 6am 1:30pm

Victoria. B.C...6pm-11:59

Seattle....

Ok.....heres Carnival Spirit

Seattle

At Sea....where are they????close to coast with same view as Pearl???

Cruise Tracy Arm Fiord......( Is this the "inside passage"???)

Skagway 7am-9pm

Juneau 7am-3pm

Ketchikan 7am-1pm

Victoria B.C 7:30pm-midnight.

So My real question is Is the Inside passage the same on the Pearll (Is this Tracy.arm Fiord).....and Is Glacier Bay the real point of the 500 difference.

Thanks

Kerri

Kerri,

You make no mention of RCL, Celebrity, or Princess. I would look at what they have to offer. We are sailing Radiance 13 night Ultimate Alaska May 8 out of San Diego. We booked this the very day RCL opened their Alaska books last year, which was the end of March, 2009. The price was fantastic for balconies. Our D1 is $1600pp plus tax...a real bargain!! RCL, Celebrity, and Princess' books for Alaska 2011 will open any day now. At least by next week. You may want to look at their curise itineraries and prices before making a decision.

I just watched an Internet News progam interviewing Paul Motter, CrusieMates Editor. He states the bargain markets right now for cruising are Alaska and Mexico....so you pick the right part of the world to cruise next year. We are sailing Summit to Mexico November 2011...again at a bargain rate!!

Bob

I have done the Spirit 2 times to Alaska, 2004 & 2008. This was before

they changed it to a round trip. We did both of ours was northbound.

We enjoyed College Fordj and Loved our long visits in Juneau. But with

the new scheduled time and ports on the spirit I am not sure if I would

go on Carnival. I am a Carnival fan and have sailed many times. But think

I would look at one way trips on other lines.

We went on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas in 2000 to Alaska on our first cruise. It was spectacular! We are now going on the Spirit in July 10 years later. Most of the ports are the same, but Tracy Fjord is different from Glacier Bay. I think that no matter which way you go, it is going to be magnificent scenery! Alaska is just so breathtaking. I think I would go for Carnival the first time and see how you like it. Saving the money on the cruise means more money available on excursions, and they have some really awesome ones! I think you will see incredible scenery either way, and the Spirit is an awesome ship...we were on her in February in Mexico. You can't lose on this one...that's just my humble opinion!:D

I can't answer your questions but I'm assuming the day at sea is just crusing up the coast from Seattle to official glacial (?) area of Alaska. (I'm going to have to research this as well.)

Coincidently, I just booked this cruise today to take my parents to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. This is their first cruise and I'm excited for them. :)

I am Plat on CCL, but I can't see myself doing a CCL cruise to Alaska. Yes, the Spirit is a nice ship (I was on her last xmas), but I went to Alaska on the Golden Princess last summer and it was spectacular. Things it had that CCL doesn't:

1) Movies under the stars- the weather was excellent and they do this much better than CCL

2) Better quality food. Examples- buffet area had prime rib 3x (you never see this on CCL). There are other examples, but it is late.

3) naturalist- he gives lectures and narrations. They also had park rangers come on board.

4) Excellent deck service. They have people on deck to give you hot coffee/hot chocolate/bullion, still have cookies and milk service.

5) We also got to see Libby Riddle lecture. I don't know if any of this is offered on the spirit.I will be going on the Golden again and going through Glacier bay. Funny thing is that it is cheaper for me to cruise Princess than CCL.

The Spirit is a nice ship, I like the class (I'll be on the Legend in June), but the Golden offers superior food, service, entertainment.

I asked in the last 6-8 weeks about whether Glacier Bay was worth the extra $$ and was told overwhelmingly YES. Either way, I'll bet you enjoy your cruise! I think we will wait until we can spend more time on land before or after, which won't be until DH retires.

Don't be surprised if you get a slap on the hand from the "powers that be" for posting a website that sells cruises. I know, cause I made a mistake once and posted something about that very website.:eek:

I didn't realize:o Sorry....powers that be.....feel free to erase that.

Anyway.....thanks so much for all the posts.

Final question....do you think I am correct in thinking the Carnival cruise to Alaska would draw a younger crowd...and maybe more children?????

Thanks

Kerri

I am Plat on CCL, but I can't see myself doing a CCL cruise to Alaska. Yes, the Spirit is a nice ship (I was on her last xmas), but I went to Alaska on the Golden Princess last summer and it was spectacular. Things it had that CCL doesn't:

1) Movies under the stars- the weather was excellent and they do this much better than CCL

2) Better quality food. Examples- buffet area had prime rib 3x (you never see this on CCL). There are other examples, but it is late.

3) naturalist- he gives lectures and narrations. They also had park rangers come on board.

4) Excellent deck service. They have people on deck to give you hot coffee/hot chocolate/bullion, still have cookies and milk service.

5) We also got to see Libby Riddle lecture. I don't know if any of this is offered on the spirit.I will be going on the Golden again and going through Glacier bay. Funny thing is that it is cheaper for me to cruise Princess than CCL.

The Spirit is a nice ship, I like the class (I'll be on the Legend in June), but the Golden offers superior food, service, entertainment.

I'm worried that the other lines will have an older crowd....has that been your experience???

Thanks

I asked in the last 6-8 weeks about whether Glacier Bay was worth the extra $$ and was told overwhelmingly YES. Either way, I'll bet you enjoy your cruise! I think we will wait until we can spend more time on land before or after, which won't be until DH retires.

I'm sure it is spectacular.....looks like the Spirit goes right there....wonder why they don't cruise it????

I'll probably chooose the Spirit....because....

#1 Cheaper

#2 I'm used to Carnival....and i do like assigned MDR....I love getting to know my waiters everyday....and they dote on my daughter.

#3 I'm worried about the age of the passengers on the other lines. I will be 40 next year....and i hear Alaska generally draws an older crowd.

Thanks

Kerri

What do you think:D

I'm worried that the other lines will have an older crowd....has that been your experience???

Thanks

I'm sure it is spectacular.....looks like the Spirit goes right there....wonder why they don't cruise it????

I'll probably chooose the Spirit....because....

#1 Cheaper

#2 I'm used to Carnival....and i do like assigned MDR....I love getting to know my waiters everyday....and they dote on my daughter.

#3 I'm worried about the age of the passengers on the other lines. I will be 40 next year....and i hear Alaska generally draws an older crowd.

Thanks

Kerri

What do you think:D

.....we like the Spirit class ships, you are probably right about more kids on the cruise, it is cheaper and my 14 yo son will turn Platinum on that cruise.

:)

wasiii

We went to AL with Carnival 2 years ago. I made sure we did the inside passage and the Spirit went to Glacier Bay that May. Everything about AL was amazing. We had an aft balcony on the Spirit. It was definitely worth it. Glacier Bay takes your breath away, from the glaciers calving to the whales, other wildlife. We will never forget AL and will return soon. Can't go wrong with Glacier Bay! Also the Skagway White Pass train ride was amazing. We took a private tour up the Klondike Pass and then took the train ride back. That is a MUST DO!

.....we like the Spirit class ships, you are probably right about more kids on the cruise, it is cheaper and my 14 yo son will turn Platinum on that cruise.

:)

wasiii

I'm going on the Miracle in June.....can't wait.....i hear it is similiar to the Spirit....so I'll know what to expect.

We went to AL with Carnival 2 years ago. I made sure we did the inside passage and the Spirit went to Glacier Bay that May. Everything about AL was amazing. We had an aft balcony on the Spirit. It was definitely worth it. Glacier Bay takes your breath away, from the glaciers calving to the whales, other wildlife. We will never forget AL and will return soon. Can't go wrong with Glacier Bay! Also the Skagway White Pass train ride was amazing. We took a private tour up the Klondike Pass and then took the train ride back. That is a MUST DO!

Did your cruise also go to Tracy Arm Fiord....wondering if I will see the snow covered mountains and Icebergs there as well????

Yes....I did notice all kinds of train rides on excursions.....i can see I'll be spending quite a bit more on excursions than usual.

Thanks

Kerri

We took the NCL Pearl to Alaska last August. We had a great time and Alaska is beautiful, but I can't say I would take another cruise with NCL. The stateroom we had was much smaller than on Carnival (even though we had a mini suite) and the food in the MDR wasn't very good. The Pearl tends to feel very crowded at times and the buffet is a chaotic mess. We tried it just to see what NCL is like, and as I said, had a great time. Glacier Bay was definitely a highlight. It was a good thing we were able to watch most if it from our balcony, because I was literally shoved out of the way by the other passengers on deck! The shore excursions in Alaska were some of the best we've ever been on. Don't miss Medenhall Glacier in Juneau. Have a great time and happy 40th!

Also....wondering....on the Spirit....the 1st day is a "fun day at sea".....Is this the inside passage?????

I believe that MOST lines departing Seattle go out into the Pacific Ocean WEST of Vancouver Island on their way North. This could be a bit on the rough side if there is a lot of wind. We did this last year on HAL Zaandam and there was a pretty large swell for night 1, day 2 and night 2, then they came into the "Inside Passage" south of Juneau.

To get the passage on the East side of Vancouver Island (sheltered water) I believe you usually have to depart from Vancouver, BC.

Whichever way you go it's a glorious trip....don't miss Glacier Bay.

Steve :)

With a July cruise date it really won't matter with glacier tour you do. We did NCL Star because CCL wasn't touring Alaska yet. For us it was much cheaper to get to Seattle than to Vancouver. I didn't notice where you live so don't forget to factor in flying (Vancouver was 3 stops, Seattle 2)

Spend the money for a balcony. Spend money to go out on Mendenhall Glacier. Juneau in the morning is good except a lot of stores won't be open but they'll be closed by 5 or 6 and it will be cool by then.

larrymeador[/left];23772539]

My opinion is go with Carnival. Use the extra 500 on your excursions since they are quite expensive on any Alaskan cruise. You will love both the inside passage and Tracy Arm Fjord.

I don't know why everyone thinks you have to book excursions through Carnival. They are the middle men here and they make a commission.

It is easy to find the companies they use by putting a few keywords into Google. - For example, I booked directly with

Chilkoot

Charters for the railway excursion (train/bus as the grand white pass summit is not running until 2 weeks AFTER my cruise!) and paid $175 instead of $205 (and it is the EXACT SAME TOUR)

Anyway I leave on the Spirit to Alaska May 11 - I will have a review on here by the 19

th

if the OP still needs help deciding

Archived