Do you HAVE to "hold-hands" climbing Dunn's River Falls?

Cruise_Creature

No offense, but holding hands with some random stranger (and potentially being drug to the ground by their falling) is not exactly my idea of a fun time and if it's mandatory would be a deal breaker for me. No can do.

I'm extremely fit, and nimble and have done some exhaustive mountain climbing and would be in much less danger on my own, is this possible? To just climb the thing at your own pace, picking your own route as you go?

Again, no offense to those who do it that way, it's just too goofy for me.

no, the cruise ship drops u off in ocho rios(near shopping area)...the falls is less than 5 minutes away...you only have to hold hands in the beginning minute or so, it is slippery at times and they let you take diffent paths depending on your skill level, I went the harder steeper part - if your physically fit it should be no problem...the only part that was uninviting to me was the shops ont the way out of the falls...They harass you to buy items like you wouldnt believe

Hope this helps

No you do not have to hold hands and you do not have to use a guide. They will try to make you think you do, however. At the beginning they will yell at you if you try to enter without one of the guides, but there is a sign at the beginning that clearly states something to the effect of, "Climbing without a guide is at your own risk". So that is saying you can, even if they don't want you to.

We had a blast doing it on our own. We just went slow and took our time. At one point a guide yelled at us to "come back over here" (apparently he thought we were getting out of his line), but we just continued doing our own thing.

Somehow we got lucky and didn't get hit by the vendors. At the top we went left towards the parking lot and weren't bothered at all. I believe the vendors were off to the right, but I wasn't really paying attention. On the way down the stairs going to the bottom of the falls, a man did pass me and asked if I wanted some "pot" but I ignored him.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who posted here! I'm back from the cruise aboard RCCL's Navigator and the wife and I climbed by ourselves and had a marvelous time. As some have said, the guides become a bit sour when you advise them you'll be off on your own. They yelled "go, get away". Once we were atop the thing those who had went with the guide lead "snake chain" up the thing the guides could be found scowling at people and looking them straight in the eye saying "you did not tip, give me a tip". I saw one old guy tip, then 3 minutes later the guy he tipped was trying to bully him into another tip. Very rude, very sour people.

Once people in our group saw us off lounging in the pools waiting for the "snake" to get to our level as we leisurely climbed at our own pace many of them broke off as well. If you're reasonably fit, and without any serious impediments there is no way you benefit from being led up.

I'd heard stories of the vendors at the top for years and I have to say it was nothing like I expected. I found it relatively relaxed and pleasant. Now, they can be a bit forceful, grabby, and are prone to trying to guilt you into a sale. I saw some who felt awkward about the whole thing, but personally I just looked when I wanted to, chatted people up when I wanted to, then walked off when I wanted too. If they keep talking, just keep walking and smiling and they get the point quick enough.

Only thing bad about this area is that the fare was most;y junk.

Glad you had a good time, Cruise_Creature! Sometimes I feel like the only one who has said the guides at the falls were rude, so thanks for confirming what I believed to be true about them.

In our experience, we thought they were just yanking their chains of people up the falls. I figured it was their way of hurrying up and getting to the next bunch so they could make more tips. When I mentioned that on another thread, well, I don't think they believed me :/

Maybe some of them aren't rude and pushy, but all the ones we saw were. Going on our own was definitely the best choice for us...and I'm glad it worked out well for you, too!

You are better off having a guide, since he will hold your camera for you and keep it dry. He will also take pictures of you during your climb. The important thing is NOT to go with the large group that they will try to stick you with. We were a group of 7, and they tried to make us go with a large group of about 30 people. We went and found our own guide, they are sitting at they bottom, waiting their turn. This way, you stop for as many pictures as you want, and go at your own pace. I recommend getting a guide, just not they one they try to force you to use.

Archived