Cruise Photography

MrsZee

I would like to see the link on Carnivals site that gives full copyright release of the photos because all of their photos have copyright logos on the lower corner of the photos. Now if you wanted to by pass that of coarse you can cut it off the photo and no one would know BUT technically your breaking copyright laws if you take that photo to have it reprinted without written consent from Carnival. Since they offer you options to buy additional photos in many sizes while on board I dont see them giving a copyright release to people so they can reproduce the image they purchased. If they do thats great but I doubt they do this...so if they do lets see the link, im curious :confused:

The Mrs. has gotten the copyright release for every cruise we have been on. She thinks she found a link on the Carnival website once, but usually e-mails customer service. She has also called a couple of times.

I have the address for one for Azamara, Celebrity, Cunard, Disney, Holland America, NCL, Royal Caribbean but not Carnival. I would love to have one from Carnival. Anyone out there have one.

thanks

Carnival Copyright Release is here:

http://www.seauonboard.com/cruise101_files/Photo%20Release.pdf

You can also email Carnival after any cruise, and they will happily email you a personal copy of the photo release.

It is the proper way to do this, and only takes a minute of your time.

If this is true, why then, as previous posters have stated, is it "stealing" if you make your own copies? Does Sam's Club/Walmart give Carnival a cut? I do not know. From someone who has inside knowledge, I would like to hear!

What the previous posters were talking about is outright stealing.

Not paying at all for the use of backgrounds, or the actual professional setups provided by the Carnival Photographers...

Purposefully taking photographs over the shoulder of a Carnival Photographer...

Taking something for nothing = stealing.

On the other hand, say that you have been on the cruise and used the professional photography services...

You have bought several portraits, and/or multiple copies of certain shots...

(You have paid them for this initial service and product)

You get home, and realize that you need/want a couple more copies (which bear in mind will never, ever be as good quality as the original prints)...

You kindly, and properly email Carnival back to request a couple more copies of your photos...

They can not and do not keep the photos on file after the cruise, so they very kindly give you a Photo Release to get some more copies scanned.

This = gift giving.

Just to put it in perspective, it's kind of like:

What is the difference between the muggers who just stole grandma's purse, and the grandchildren who grandma willing gave some gift money out of her purse?

It's the exact same money from the exact same grandma.

One is stealing, the other is receiving a gift.

Get it?;)

I don't consider the cost of the photos to be that out of line. Actually I paid a lot more for Easter photos of my kids from a local photographer and paid a sitting fee for my kids photos too. And as the previous poster who's a photographer said these people need to make a living. On a cruise you have a choice to refuse photos or not buy the ones that are taken. If you think the photos are too pricey don't have any taken.

Carnival Copyright Release is here:

http://www.seauonboard.com/cruise101_files/Photo%20Release.pdf

You can also email Carnival after any cruise, and they will happily email you a personal copy of the photo release.

It is the proper way to do this, and only takes a minute of your time.

What the previous posters were talking about is outright stealing.

Not paying at all for the use of backgrounds, or the actual professional setups provided by the Carnival Photographers...

Purposefully taking photographs over the shoulder of a Carnival Photographer...

Taking something for nothing = stealing.

On the other hand, say that you have been on the cruise and used the professional photography services...

You have bought several portraits, and/or multiple copies of certain shots...

(You have paid them for this initial service and product)

You get home, and realize that you need/want a couple more copies (which bear in mind will never, ever be as good quality as the original prints)...

You kindly, and properly email Carnival back to request a couple more copies of your photos...

They can not and do not keep the photos on file after the cruise, so they very kindly give you a Photo Release to get some more copies scanned.

This = gift giving.

Just to put it in perspective, it's kind of like:

What is the difference between the muggers who just stole grandma's purse, and the grandchildren who grandma willing gave some gift money out of her purse?

It's the exact same money from the exact same grandma.

One is stealing, the other is receiving a gift.

Get it?;)

I think even my 7 yr old grandson, can understand that.

And Nicely stated also!

Another thread reminded me of a question I had about the photography on board. I think it is great that they take pictures will all these backdrops and they are fairly professional photographers with nice cameras. I am happy to buy an 8 x 10 for 20 bucks if I like it, because usually a sitting fee with a photographer at home would be more than 20 bucks. All that aside, though, I have one question... I really prefer a crisp, sharp image to these "dreamy" images they try to create. Can we ask the photographer to ease off on the "soften" feature in their edit program? Or is it just the thing to do with cruise ship photography and I pretty much have no choice?

I also disliked that they insisted I pose with a fake martini and a rose on a piano, seemed so cheeseball, but we had a good laugh about it, didn't have to buy it, right?

I didnt think I would do these photos but then my friend was doing them every night and I got hooked on them as well. The photos are really quite good and they make huge 8 by 10s that you dont have to buy- they have them on a wall and you can either dump them in the reject box or buy them. I thought it was pretty cool. The big ones were 20 dollars, pricey but not bad for a no pressure take as many as you want professional photo session. We bought 3 overall- different ones - one ot frame and two other family shots to send to our parents.. You can also have them resized OR the effects changed. They specicially mentioned this to me when I was laughing at one with soft focus. They said they could print out the same picture without soft focus. So take the plunge! Try it out! It was quick and fun.

A couple of things to add.

First, on the technical side:

They get blur or softening of the image in the ways Fourseventeen mentioned, or by using soft lighting. If they have a big umbrella on the flash, the image will be a bit softer. A white cover on the on-camera flash will also do this. If you don't want a soft focus shot (the look of "Star Trek women" :) ), find a photographer who doesn't have a giant Chimera umbrella set up.

Most professional cameras actually have less of the stuff that Host Mach was talking about. It's uncommon to have things like face detection or significant image manipulation tools in a pro camera. It's getting a little more common now (in the last year or so), but you'll still find more of those features in a $200 point-and-shoot than in a $4000 Nikon DSLR.

On the "moral" side, you should realize that the photographers are Carnival employees, and are using Carnival-supplied equipment. Here's the job description for a "Shipboard Photographer" position they have open: http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/fun_jobs/shipboard_photographer.aspx

To me, this means that if you see a backdrop sitting unused, it's not amoral to snap a shot there yourself. You're not taking money, time, or income opportunity from an independent photographer. It's the equivalent of taking a shot with the whale tail in the background - just Carnival-owned shipboard scenery.

I personally think that most of the shipboard photographers aren't very good, but there are some who are OK. It's usually a crap shoot as to whether any photo will be good enough to want to see once I'm back home. Then again, I don't photograph well, so it may just be me ;)

My $0.0079+interest

- Steve

My husband works for a major pharmacy that also does photo processing and it has been drilled into my brain the importance of the copyright release.

If you call Carnival customer service they will fax you a copy that you can take to say Wal-Mart, Target, etc... and have copies printed.

My husband works for a major pharmacy that also does photo processing and it has been drilled into my brain the importance of the copyright release.

If you call Carnival customer service they will fax you a copy that you can take to say Wal-Mart, Target, etc... and have copies printed.

Many retail photo processing outlets will insist on a release for anything that looks like it was done by a professional. I have had Costco refuse to print my images without a release, and I have heard that most Walmarts can be very adamant about it, as well.

Their problem is that, if they copy something for which YOU don't have the legal right to copy, then THEY can be held liable by the copyright owner. I suspect that somewhere in the distant past, Walmart or someone else lost a big lawsuit over this sort of thing.

I am on the side of those who feel that using the pro's backdrop is very tacky and unethical. To me, its like bringing a bag lunch into a nice restaurant and using their silverware. On most of the cruises I have been on, there have been signs on the equipment when the photographer is not there, asking that passengers not use the backdrops. I've even seen photographers roll the backdrop up when they leave, to make it more difficult for someone to use it.

BTW, how many passengers realize that Carnival, essentially, owns the copyright on any photographs YOU take, while on board.

From the Carnival website, contract terms. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

15. GUEST’S USE OF PHOTOS, VIDEOS OR RECORDINGS PROHIBITTED

Guest hereby expressly agrees that he/she will not utilize any tape recording, video, or photograph(s) of himself/herself, any other guest, crew, or third party on board the vessel, or depicting the vessel, its design, equipment, or any part thereof whatsoever, for any commercial purpose or in any media broadcast, or for any other non private use, without the express written consent of Carnival. Guest acknowledges that by boarding the vessel, at any time, Guest irrevocably agrees to this provision, which is a condition precedent to being permitted on board the vessel and can be enforced by any legal means, including, but not limited to, injunctive relief.

Note that this applies only to commercial use. You can print all you want for your own use or to send to friends or family. But if you were to submit your photographs to someone who was, say, preparing a book about cruise travel, you would be violating the contract that you agreed to by stepping aboard the ship.

Many retail photo processing outlets will insist on a release for anything that looks like it was done by a professional. I have had Costco refuse to print my images without a release, and I have heard that most Walmarts can be very adamant about it, as well.

Their problem is that, if they copy something for which YOU don't have the legal right to copy, then THEY can be held liable by the copyright owner. I suspect that somewhere in the distant past, Walmart or someone else lost a big lawsuit over this sort of thing.

I am on the side of those who feel that using the pro's backdrop is very tacky and unethical. To me, its like bringing a bag lunch into a nice restaurant and using their silverware. On most of the cruises I have been on, there have been signs on the equipment when the photographer is not there, asking that passengers not use the backdrops. I've even seen photographers roll the backdrop up when they leave, to make it more difficult for someone to use it.

Yes, if they don't have that copyright release that just opens them up for a possible lawsuit. So not worth it to the retailers.

I keep my copy of my copyright release handy just in case I want to have copies printed. Again, all you have to do to get one is contact Carnival.

[quote name='noblepa']Many retail photo processing outlets will insist on a release for anything that looks like it was done by a professional. I have had Costco refuse to print my images without a release, and I have heard that most Walmarts can be very adamant about it, as well.

I am on the side of those who feel that using the pro's backdrop is very tacky and unethical. To me, its like bringing a bag lunch into a nice restaurant and using their silverware. On most of the cruises I have been on, there have been signs on the equipment when the photographer is not there, asking that passengers not use the backdrops. I've even seen photographers roll the backdrop up when they leave, to make it more difficult for someone to use it.[/quote]

They clearly do not want you using your own camera on those backdrops. They block them off when they are not using them with the light umbrellas and other barriers and they dont want you taking photos while they are. My friends kids were getting a photo and the photographer was on the floor with them trying to get them posed in a very strange fashion and it was the biggest jumbled mess we'd ever seen, and the parents and we were cracking up and I took a picture of the chaos and the photographer shot me a panicked look saying, no pictures! no pictures! I get his point but it was not a posed shot and his his back was center stage of the photo so I didnt even think about it. I would understand if I was snagging a nice posed shot but I was actually getting a candid very bad attempt to pose children. Still, its clear that any photos near the studios are big no nos.

But that said, if you have your own nice camera you can take plenty of beautiful shots of your own throughout the ship. I wouldnt use those backgrounds in particular. I think they just come out nice with the lighting they use (and close down when a photographer is not there) and the high quality cameras, otherwise I wouldnt be interested in them.

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]I have not looked closely at the cameras but I suspect that they can operate in a program mode that internally generates that soft, slightly fuzzy look. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]Have a talk with the photographer and tell him/her what you're interested in...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]:)
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
I actually noticed that when you pay for pictures - the cashiers there can actually access your picture on their computer - so maybe find the picture you like and take it the cashier and ask if the quality can be adjusted?

[quote name='noblepa'][snip]
I am on the side of those who feel that using the pro's backdrop is very tacky and unethical. To me, its like bringing a bag lunch into a nice restaurant and using their silverware. On most of the cruises I have been on, there have been signs on the equipment when the photographer is not there, asking that passengers not use the backdrops. I've even seen photographers roll the backdrop up when they leave, to make it more difficult for someone to use it.[/quote]I agree, it's definitely tacky to use their equipment (which the backdrops and props are). I haven't seen signs asking people not to use the sets, nor have I been asked not to take photos near them. It would only take once for me to not use them.

It's not like I want to take photos near the backdrops anyway - why bother with that when you have great sunrise/sunset views and countless other opportunities to take nice photos?

Archived