V i P

meow!

We ordinary cats have neither the money nor the courage to get near any of the following VIPs, let alone cruise with them. However, for those of you who consider yourselves suitable, the following is copied and pasted from Silversea's website: (It appears to be a special arrangement trip including a sea portion but not a "regular voyage" as such).

SILVERSEA'S SILVER WIND TO HOST 2010 WORLD LEADERS SYMPOSIUM ON THE BLACK SEA FEATURING CONDOLEEZZA RICE

Exclusive educational travel event from Moscow to Istanbul also features William J Perry, Mikhail Gorbachev, luxurious accommodation, and customised excursions

(16 February 2010) Â Building on the past success of World Leaders Symposium cruises in Asia and the Middle East, ultra-luxury Silversea Cruises today announced its collaboration with San Francisco-based World Leaders Travel to host the 2010 World Leaders Symposium, a Black Sea voyage aboard Silver Wind headlined by former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and other dignitaries.Â

This one-of-a-kind travel event from 30 August to 15 September, 2010, includes a 10-night cruise aboard the award-winning, all-suite Silver Wind and a range of specially arranged shore excursions in Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, and Turkey. In addition to former Secretary of State Rice, featured speakers include former US Secretary of Defence William Perry, former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev, and leading figures in fields ranging from technology and the US-Russian space race to cultural history and global affairs.

Steve Tucker, Silversea's vice president of field sales for North America, said: "It's a great honour for us to host this year's World Leaders Symposium aboard our elegant Silver Wind. Through our collaboration with World Leaders Travel, we're able to offer inquisitive travellers an unmatched educational experience featuring some of the world's most sought-after speakers. It's such a great programme for our guests that we're already looking at possibly hosting additional Symposium cruises in the future."

Tucker further noted that travel agents will be able to book through World Leaders Travel at their usual Silversea commission level -- just as if the agent booked directly with Silversea -- and the commission level will be applicable to the entire programme starting in Moscow and ending after the hotel stay in Istanbul.

They used to charter the Shadow for this event. Guess the budget is tight this year!

From my trip diary -- Whisper Norwegian Fjords -- July 2003

"That evening we were invited to dinner with Ray Solaire who filled us in on what's been going on recently.

About six months ago, The Russian government chartered Silver Whisper to host a gala dinner on May 30 celebrating the 3000th anniversary of St. Petersburgh. There were 320 on board for dinner, including 46 heads of state (Chirac, Shroeder of Germany, Tony Blair, Berlusconi of Italy, but not George Bush, who was tied up in Poland (..?) the most heads of state assembled in one place since WW II. There's a photograph of Captain Corsaro outside the Panaroma Lounge shaking hands with Putin.

The ship was chartered for weeks May 21-June 5. Ray thinks they chartered Whisper because it has 12 Silver Suites - exactly alike - and since there are 12 heads of DEPARTMENTS OF RUSSIA- which I guess are geographical areas/states/whatever - each one would have equal housing, except Putin who had the Owners Suite. They brought all their own tableware and silver, candelabras from the Kremlin, the chefs, and 100 waiters. At dinner, translators were seated next to their chiefs on the small upholstered dressing table stools that are in each suite on the ship. Russian security agents everywhere. All other Silversea staff who were not working were relegated to below deck, the crew quarters. The crew was still agog talking about it six months later when we were there and I don't blame them. I slipped up and forgot to ask about the menu. It must have been a wonderful experience for the crew."

(Note 3/30/10 - Heads of state come and go -- Corsaro's still in charge... -- a reason to keep on sailing and leave the grubby work to others.);)

Mary Ann

Thank you. !

Meow, this is OT, but I was looking for you. In case you don't know, Azamara came out with their 2011 itineraries today. I believe they have the one you have been waiting for in 2011 which includes Iceland. The date is August 17 for 12 nights from Copenhagen to Dublin. Just fyi.

Meow, this is OT, but I was looking for you. In case you don't know, Azamara came out with their 2011 itineraries today. I believe they have the one you have been waiting for in 2011 which includes Iceland. The date is August 17 for 12 nights from Copenhagen to Dublin. Just fyi.
Thank you for remembering me .. meow! I am posting a more detailed reply on the Azamara board.

Archived