1st cruise

Hi all, had this post in 1st time cruisers but was told I would be better posting it here.

4 of us heading on Thomson Destiny on May 8th around the med, wife's 40th that day.

Have been on holidays abroad but never a cruise:(

Have loads of questions, so will ask a few here;

1. Embarkation is between 12-9pm, we should be arriving around 3ish(booked flight separately). How does boarding procedure work and does it take long?

2. Will we be able to get snacks & drinks(were AI) immediately when we board or would we be better eating before boarding?

3. What time is early sitting meals as this is the one I have presently requested, maybe we would be better with a late sitting!

4. Are casual trousers and shirt ok for the week at night or will tie and jackets be needed too?

5. Do people still tip even though it mentions in the brochure tipping is included.

Cheers for any help on the above

Hi - we did our first cruise on Destiny last october and were just as nervous and had just as many questions if not more!!

1. Embarkation is between 12-9pm, we should be arriving around 3ish(booked flight separately). How does boarding procedure work and does it take long?

Embarkation took about 30 mins from stepping off the coach to being issued with our swipe cards and stepping onto the ship. Once aboard a steward showed us straight to our cabin and explained our luggage would be delivered later in the afternoon (the cases all go into a big storage area on dock side) our luggage arrived at our cabin door about 2 hours after that.

2. Will we be able to get snacks & drinks(were AI) immediately when we board or would we be better eating before boarding?

You can eat and drink as soon as you're on the ship depends on what time you arrive as to where is best -

Lido on deck 9 has 24 hour buffet - before 11.30 its breakfast stuff, after that its lunch till about 3.30. While in Port at palma there isnt a cream tea at 3.30 but there is every other day - dont miss that! LOL. If its a bit on the cool/wet/windy side the lido isnt as enjoyable!! you should be fine in may though.

The pool grill (deck 9 other side of the pool to the lido) also does pizzas and Burgers from about 11.30 - 3.30 for a quick lunch.

The seven seas restaurant does a buffet lunch 12-2

3. What time is early sitting meals as this is the one I have presently requested, maybe we would be better with a late sitting!

sittings were 6.45 and 8.45 - we were on lates last time and hated it so have requested earlies. If you are doing excursions you may not be back for your sitting if you are on earlies - someone did say we might be able to swithc if we're planning a late excursion but the Lido is a great alternative on those days - or any day you dont fancy the set menu in the seven seas!

4. Are casual trousers and shirt ok for the week at night or will tie and jackets be needed too?

thats what most of the men wear - long trousers and a collar of some sort are a must - something a bit more formal seems the norm on captains night but you do get those who go the whole way with DJ's and bow ties etc and they look fab :D

5. Do people still tip even though it mentions in the brochure tipping is included.

Its a personal choice. Quite often if you have the same waiter each night in dinner and you get very good service then you may you want to tip them - or if you frequent the same bar and have a good relationship with a member of the bar staff, and we also tipped our cabin steward. Many people DONT tip however - its not a requirement.

hope that helps - any more questions just yell!

sittings were 6.45 and 8.45 - we were on lates last time and hated it so have requested earlies. If you are doing excursions you may not be back for your sitting if you are on earlies - someone did say we might be able to swithc if we're planning a late excursion but the Lido is a great alternative on those days - or any day you dont fancy the set menu in the seven seas!

Oh when I was on the Destiny back in Dec 2008, the sittings were 6.30 and 8.30 - ive ordered the last sitting but even though it is 15 mins later (from the times you have given) it seems that it might be too late for me - will have to comtemplate this one - but then saying that - I will be up late, lol and gives me time for a nap, if needed, haha :eek:

Oh when I was on the Destiny back in Dec 2008, the sittings were 6.30 and 8.30 - ive ordered the last sitting but even though it is 15 mins later (from the times you have given) it seems that it might be too late for me - will have to comtemplate this one - but then saying that - I will be up late, lol and gives me time for a nap, if needed, haha :eek:

Hi tirchoiall and welcome. :) Clare has answered all your questions very fully.

As far as embarkation/disembarkation goes, I do think Thomson look after you well.

They transfer you from the airport (you collect your cases from the carousel then look for the Thomson Reps holding up a 'Thomson Cruises' notice to direct you to the coaches) and then after registration at the port your onboard card will be active so your AI will kick in and as Clare has said, there is food available somewhere onboard 24/7 so no need to eat before you get on the ship.

If you wish to, you are also free to get off the ship again and explore - it will depend on how much time you have and whether the cocktails have already beckoned! :eek:

On the day you leave, again you still have total freedom to use the ship's facilities/restaurants, leave the ship etc. Until you disembark for the final time for your transfer to the airport (at a time determined by your flight home - usually about 3 hours before flight time) you are still a passenger. You do, of course, have to vacate your cabin fairly early (depends on cruise but perhaps around 8.30) to allow it to be perpared for new passengers. Your cases will have already been collected and awaiting your coach transfer to the airport and your hand luggage can be put in a secure store on board if you have enough time to go into Palma for an hour or two. It's a well-oiled machine.

I'm not sure you actually asked for this additional info - I just started to expand a little on your 'passenger status' at the start and end of your cruise and expanded more - and more! :o But hope it helps to give you a bit more of an idea what to expect! :)

I've just noticed you say you have booked your flights separately. I don't know what Thomson's policy is on that one regarding transfer from the airport (i.e. I suppose technically you haven't got transfers as part of your cruise) but it works much like a shuttle service.

I don't know what your transport plans are from the airport but if I were you I wouldn't book a taxi - I'd just follow the flow of passengers who will be ariving all the time and tag along. (Just look out for the next Thomsonfly plane coming in - they're ariving all day!) No-one checks names as you get on the coaches - they just keep asking 'Thomson Cruises?' as you come out of the airport and point out the coaches. If it doesn't work - you've lost nothing as you can pick up a taxi at the airport, or possibly public transport as it's not far from the airport to the port (I assume you are flying into Palma). I'd give it a try. ;)

I've just noticed you say you have booked your flights separately. I don't know what Thomson's policy is on that one regarding transfer from the airport (i.e. I suppose technically you haven't got transfers as part of your cruise) but it works much like a shuttle service.

I don't know what your transport plans are from the airport but if I were you I wouldn't book a taxi - I'd just follow the flow of passengers who will be ariving all the time and tag along. (Just look out for the next Thomsonfly plane coming in - they're ariving all day!) No-one checks names as you get on the coaches - they just keep asking 'Thomson Cruises?' as you come out of the airport and point out the coaches. If it doesn't work - you've lost nothing as you can pick up a taxi at the airport, or possibly public transport as it's not far from the airport to the port (I assume you are flying into Palma). I'd give it a try. ;)

Similar scenario..I have a stay and cruise booked with hotel booked independantly of flight/cruise...I have organised my own transport from airport to hotel and hotel to port but have transfers included with Thomson from port to airport.god that sounds complicated

What a brilliant suggestion! I would never have thought of that!!

Hi Tirchonaill

Just been in your position and been on my first cruise.

Glad you came over to Thomsons from 1st Time Cruisers. They so so much more friendly, helpful and funnier here. Some people over there seem to forget the forum title, i.e. that people don't know what they're doing so need help not sarcasm, or being patronised, or jumping on every little mistake. There are some great people on there but I've read posts from people who've actually been put off cruising in case they meet these people on ship and that's just not fair.

So, welcome to the friendliest forum on cc and have a great time on your holiday. To all the people who were helpful to me directly and indirectly, many thanks. :)

Regarding meals, I think it depends on what you want to do later. We tried early and late eating and found if we ate too late we couldn't have a drink of anything as we were too full. So earlies for us and time to digest dinner.

Tip, don't take a meringue ball gown (think Gone with the Wind) like someone did on the Island Escape because no one else will (I don't think). Apart from anything else it'd need a suitacase all of it's own. :D:D

Jan

Tip, don't take a meringue ball gown (think Gone with the Wind) like someone did on the Island Escape because no one else will (I don't think). Apart from anything else it'd need a suitacase all of it's own. :D:D

Jan

Hi,

DW did that, Not a meringue one, but it weighed a ton. She has trouble getting anything to fit and we saw it in the sale and she looks gorgeous in it.

It would take up half her luggage allowance alone so the only way she'd get to wear it is to sail from the U.K.

RE the food Question here's the rest of the family on the Island Escape straight after boarding about 12 midday.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/Cymro1953/Canaries%20Cruise%202009/?action=view&current=P1060255.jpg

Berwyn

Hi Kruzseeka

Gosh I am amazed that you are advocating such cheeky behaviour lol! only joking.

But, joking apart, couldn't this cause a problem if there are only enough places on the coach for the legitimate cruisers who have paid for the transfer as part of the holiday deal?

I am thinking back to last year- I'm sure the rep sped up and down the coach counting bums on seats, and when she had a full coach/or had reached the required number according to her list, told the driver to set off.So if stragglers entitled to a coach seat hadn't reached the coach by then they would be left high and dry at the airport and the rep would be none the wiser!!!!

Flopsy

(you collect your cases from the carousel then look for the Thomson Reps holding up a 'Thomson Cruises' notice to direct you to the coaches)

Kruzseeka I think you have missed out a stage-( I miss this stage out every time lol)- after you collect your cases you go to the Cruise Desk set up quite close to the baggage reclaim to collect your cruise wallet with all the info in- and then you go through to the Thomson reps with the clipboards who direct you to the coach.

It doesn't matter if you miss this desk- the clipboard reps just send you back doh!

Flopsy

Hi,

DW did that, Not a meringue one, but it weighed a ton. She has trouble getting anything to fit and we saw it in the sale and she looks gorgeous in it.

It would take up half her luggage allowance alone so the only way she'd get to wear it is to sail from the U.K.

RE the food Question here's the rest of the family on the Island Escape straight after boarding about 12 midday.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/Cymro1953/Canaries%20Cruise%202009/?action=view&current=P1060255.jpg

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

If I wore a ball gown I'd have a look of the Miss Havershams :D:D. Definitely NOT georgeous. Lucky your DW :). She could wear it on the plane I suppose, just book 2 seats. I daren't say more about the meringue :eek:.

Can't wait for your Dream review, not long now. Hope we're not expecting too much.

Jan

Hi all, had this post in 1st time cruisers but was told I would be better posting it here.

4 of us heading on Thomson Destiny on May 8th around the med, wife's 40th that day.

Have been on holidays abroad but never a cruise:(

Hi tirchonaill

We are on this cruise with you!

My hubby was dragged by me onto his first cruise last year and was determined not to enjoy it.He thought all fellow cruisers would be posh, dressed up to the nines, etc.

Needless to say he was wrong on all counts and came home full of praise for cruise holidays.Within a week we had booked this next cruise!

It's great waking up in a new place every day.I am confident that you are going to love it!

Flopsy

Hi Berwyn

If I wore a ball gown I'd have a look of the Miss Havershams :D:D. Definitely NOT georgeous. Lucky your DW :). She could wear it on the plane I suppose, just book 2 seats. I daren't say more about the meringue :eek:.

Can't wait for your Dream review, not long now. Hope we're not expecting too much.

Jan

Hi Jan,

You mean the old TV series when Francesca Annis was the horrible little girl in it ? :eek::D

We'll be on board this time 4 weeks today!!!

I can't see how she can be that much more fantastic as she's about the same age as the other ships. It's just she'll be a bigger ship and being purpose built as a cruise ship.

Berwyn

Hi Kruzseeka

Gosh I am amazed that you are advocating such cheeky behaviour lol! only joking.

But, joking apart, couldn't this cause a problem if there are only enough places on the coach for the legitimate cruisers who have paid for the transfer as part of the holiday deal?

I am thinking back to last year- I'm sure the rep sped up and down the coach counting bums on seats, and when she had a full coach/or had reached the required number according to her list, told the driver to set off.So if stragglers entitled to a coach seat hadn't reached the coach by then they would be left high and dry at the airport and the rep would be none the wiser!!!!

Flopsy

I'm not sure about checking passengers from the airport to the ship -I don't remember being checked off. We've even had passengers from previous flights on our coach after having a long wait for cases - it might depend on which airport/cruise but it's always seemed to be like a shuttle service - they just want to get you to the port and as soon as a coach is full off they go. You might be right though - I'd still give it a whirl and just seem a bit 'lost' (not too difficult for me!! :D ) You can always apologise and hop in a taxi. Perhaps it is a bit naughty - but in the context of a very small number of independents compared with the 100's coming through the airport, I wouldn't have thought it would cause a problem. Or would it???? :eek:

I'm not sure about checking passengers from the airport to the ship -I don't remember being checked off. We've even had passengers from previous flights on our coach after having a long wait for cases - it might depend on which airport/cruise but it's always seemed to be like a shuttle service - they just want to get you to the port and as soon as a coach is full off they go. You might be right though - I'd still give it a whirl and just seem a bit 'lost' (not too difficult for me!! :D ) You can always apologise and hop in a taxi. Perhaps it is a bit naughty - but in the context of a very small number of independents compared with the 100's coming through the airport, I wouldn't have thought it would cause a problem. Or would it???? :eek:

Hi Kruzseeka,

I'm sure there will be plenty of Thomson's staff still in the airport and if any official fly/cruise passengers were lagging behind they'd sort them out with transport.

Berwyn

Hi Jan,

You mean the old TV series when Francesca Annis was the horrible little girl in it ?

We'll be on board this time 4 weeks today!!!

I can't see how she can be that much more fantastic as she's about the same age as the other ships. It's just she'll be a bigger ship and being purpose built as a cruise ship.

Berwyn

Francesca Annis!! How old is she now. Actually I meant the one where John Mills played Pip :D AND no I don't remember it first time around :). Who played Estella in that one?

I haven't seen many pics of the Dream up to now, only the ones on the Thomsom web site. The cabins look nice though.

Kruzseeker!! I'm shocked :eek: Sneaking onto transfer buses, surely not. Can you imagine how embarrassing that would be if you got caught. Like naughty schoolchildren. :D:D I couldn't show my face at dinner, I'll never make a criminal.

Jan

Francesca Annis!! How old is she now. Actually I meant the one where John Mills played Pip :D AND no I don't remember it first time around :). Who played Estella in that one?

I haven't seen many pics of the Dream up to now, only the ones on the Thomsom web site. The cabins look nice though.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Jean Simmons played young Estella and someone called Valerie Hobson the older one.

Francesca Annis is 64 :eek:.

You can see proper cruisers photos here. There are 2 the same so when you get to the family standing by the lifebelt the 2nd time there's more after that, you haven't reached the end.

Thanks to Sunbather who found the link

http://www.zoover.com/costa-europa/cruise-ship/photos#tabs

Berwyn

Thank Berwyn, I'll look at the pics in a mo. Jean Simmons, that's right, it was on the tip of my tongue. She was a nasty piece of work (in the film, not real life). Died recently I believe.

Jan

Thank Berwyn, I'll look at the pics in a mo. Jean Simmons, that's right, it was on the tip of my tongue. She was a nasty piece of work (in the film, not real life). Died recently I believe.

Jan

Yes she died in January. Have a look there.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQyMzM2Mzk4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTE5NzI2._V1._SX450_SY353_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3516045312/ch0012114&usg=__JdTBK4RvpbHl2IFvHLqVTMmpwmY=&h=353&w=450&sz=44&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=e0PGonuqWVCeGM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djean%2Bsimmons%2Bestella%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUK370%26tbs%3Disch:1

Sorry to wander off topic everyone.

Berwyn

Hi again folks, special thanks to Clare, Kruzeeka and Ecko for the replies and helpful suggestions.

Sneaking on the Thomson coach at the airport seems a good idea,the 4 of us are divided on that suggestion at the moment, if the bar is visited that morning at the airport then the unsure ones courage should be built up by then:). As a matter of interest how much would a taxi be from Palma airport to the port?

Now a question for the alcos:D is there a good choice of spirits in the AI package, dont drink beer, lager, stout etc, do they have non premium Whiskey, brandy etc.

Hi Flopsy, probably will meet you somewhere along the line on the cruise.

We arrive into Palma airport at 1330.

Cheers folks, Shaun

Archived