Cunard Queen Victoria April 2010

zltm089

Hi everyone

Wow! This is a great website!...I got the link to this forum from tripadvisor and I am a member of another bmw car forum aswell where other members like travelling.

I am thinking of going on the QV in april and would like to get some newbie advice. It will be my first cruise and would like to know if QV is worth the money?

Planning to get a balcony grade A1. is there a great difference between the grades? Are drinks and snacks "free" 24-7? It says that all meals are included in the fare, what if I get hungry after lunch? Do I need to wait for dinner? or is there a "free" area where I could get some light snacks?

Any advice regarding getting good seats for dinner? I would like to make the most of this cruise and any adbice would be much appreciated!...

Sorry about all the questions.

Cheers!

You will absolutely love the Queen Victoria. The Lido self-service restaurant has a section open 24/7 and food is always available and is all paid for. All you soft drinks (not Coke) teas and coffees (apart from speciality coffees) are also paid for. All your alcoholic drinks and wine at dinner are added to your bill using your room card at all locations - prices are all more than reasonable too.

You'll find answers to all your questions on this forum. We're all very friendly and happy to help so don't be afraid of asking!:)

Planning to get a balcony grade A1. is there a great difference between the grades? Are drinks and snacks "free" 24-7? It says that all meals are included in the fare, what if I get hungry after lunch? Do I need to wait for dinner? or is there a "free" area where I could get some light snacks?

Personally, I would recommend QV to anyone, particularly for a first time cruise. She is a wonderful ship, with a great ambience, and staff who are helpful and efficient to a fault.

There is little difference across the range of standard Britannia grade balcony cabins - just be careful to avoid those with the view obstructed by lifeboats if a seaview is important to you. There are also a small number of balconies in the forward section of the ship on 4 Deck that have metal fronts which means that your sea view from inside the cabin is a bit limited. There are also a few cabins that have larger than average balconies but I am not sure if any of those are A1.

I think someone once calculated that the longest period of time that you need to go without food on a Cunard ship is 15 minutes :D

I have no idea whether that is based on hard factual research or just a good guess, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that you will not go hungry. All food in the Britannia restaurant is included in your fare. You can also eat free in the Lido which is a self service, cafeteria style establishment. There is also a small burger bar affair on the pool deck just aft of the Lido that does burgers, pizzas and that kind of thing (free). Room service is also entirely free and is available round the clock. All drinks from the bars have to be paid for (including, IIRC, soft drinks) but they are charged to your cruise card so you don't need cash or anything of the sort.

Get in there and eat!!! You'll have an absolutely terrific time.

J

I do hope you have been warned about the major downside of cruising - and Cunard ships in particular!

It is VERY addictive!! Please be prepared to book another voyage on board or immediately you disembark :)

Cruising is bad for your wealth!

Personally, I would recommend QV to anyone, particularly for a first time cruise. She is a wonderful ship, with a great ambience, and staff who are helpful and efficient to a fault.

There is little difference across the range of standard Britannia grade balcony cabins - just be careful to avoid those with the view obstructed by lifeboats if a seaview is important to you. There are also a small number of balconies in the forward section of the ship on 4 Deck that have metal fronts which means that your sea view from inside the cabin is a bit limited. There are also a few cabins that have larger than average balconies but I am not sure if any of those are A1.

I think someone once calculated that the longest period of time that you need to go without food on a Cunard ship is 15 minutes :D

I have no idea whether that is based on hard factual research or just a good guess, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that you will not go hungry. All food in the Britannia restaurant is included in your fare. You can also eat free in the Lido which is a self service, cafeteria style establishment. There is also a small burger bar affair on the pool deck just aft of the Lido that does burgers, pizzas and that kind of thing (free). Room service is also entirely free and is available round the clock. All drinks from the bars have to be paid for (including, IIRC, soft drinks) but they are charged to your cruise card so you don't need cash or anything of the sort.

Get in there and eat!!! You'll have an absolutely terrific time.

J

Jimmy, as always, great advice...and great pitch. I found my credit card in my hand and don't remember getting my wallet out.

Waiter...I'll have the Roast Duck with the Mango Salsa...

Jake

Archived