Okinawa

cruiser02

Will be arriving in Okinawa on the Daimond Princess Does Princess provide a shuttle into the downtown area? Is this a port that you can easily explore on your own?

Hi Cruiser02!

You can walk into town from the boat dock. The main shopping street would be about ten minutes walk up the street. It's a very safe walk through the town. However, if you were staying there and taking in luggage, then you might want to take a taxi. I'm assuming you would be docking at the same port that HAL did when I was there. I didn't love Nagasaki, but many people do. You can look at my trip report and photos if you'd like on my travel blog.

http://www.Lutherbailey.blogspot.com

Luther :)

We were on the Diamond Princess in Okinawa in October 2009. They did provide free shuttles to town, the port was way out. The Diamond is very large and much of the time we were docked in Freight type shipyards. They drop you off in the Heart of the City, lots of shopping right there. Cabs to the castle are easy to take from there also. We got lucky when we were there. There was some kind of festival and parade and they were all in costume.:) Enjoy your cruise, the Diamond is a beautiful ship.

We were on the Diamond Princess in Okinawa in October 2009. They did provide free shuttles to town, the port was way out. The Diamond is very large and much of the time we were docked in Freight type shipyards. They drop you off in the Heart of the City, lots of shopping right there. Cabs to the castle are easy to take from there also. We got lucky when we were there. There was some kind of festival and parade and they were all in costume.:) Enjoy your cruise, the Diamond is a beautiful ship.

I was on the Volendam.. which is quite a bit smaller than the Diamond. I surprised though because the dock that we were at seemed quite large. Maybe another ship was there already?

There last year on the Diamond Princess. There was a shuttle bus to the downtown area, not sure if you had to pay or not. We took a tour to the castle which dropped you in town first for an hour or so of shopping and then to the castle (cost way too much for what you saw and did). The castle itself is a reproduction. Don't expect much as far as shopping is concerned. While it was good to get off the ship to explore Okinawa, there wasn't much to explore. Don't expect very much. Decided to stop at the local Starbucks for a cup of coffee. whoa--$3.65 (at that time) for a cup of java.

SAS

Just back home from the Diamond last week. Princess did provide a free shuttle to downtown. (Way too far to walk.) Previous poster was right that there's not much to see. We took the monorail to Shuri castle, and back (very easy to navigate), & did a little shopping. Okinawa was the least exciting of all the ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Okinawa is not a dump. It is a port where one can do things one self . Taxis cheap . Interesting to visit underground former Japanese Imperial Navy HQ of WWII where Officers committed hari kari .

Okinawa isn't a dump, but there is not much to see or do there. There are a few interesting sights around the island, mostly related to World War II. After visiting the Shuri Castle (rebuilt) in Naha, we walked the entire length of Kokusai Street, which is supposed to be the main street and shopping area in town. While there were a few interesting things to see, I thought most of the merchandise was stuff for everyday use, and there was nothing that interested me. There were many toy stores, but most of the things looked like cheap junk, although they were expensive. And, many of the stores had exactly the same stuff. We couldn’t find an ATM that would accept American cards, but, as it turned out, we didn’t need it, because we didn’t find anything to buy.

Okinawa is not a dump. It is a port where one can do things one self . Taxis cheap . Interesting to visit underground former Japanese Imperial Navy HQ of WWII where Officers committed hari kari .

taxis are cheap? compared to what? they were very, very expensive. okinawa ain't tokyo, but you wouldn't know it from the prices.

Tip for Mastercard holders whilst in Japan . It is very difficult to find ATM's in Japan that will accept Mastercards. However just pop into any Japanese post office and find the ATM and all ATM's in their post offices accept Mastercards .

Will be arriving in Okinawa on the Daimond Princess Does Princess provide a shuttle into the downtown area? Is this a port that you can easily explore on your own?

I visited Oiknawa on OCEAN PRINCESS last December. Princess did provide a free shuttle to downtown from the Port on that trip.

we were there a couple of weeks ago on the Diamond and docked a little way out of town. You could not walk it, but Princess did provide a free shuttle.

We were only there for about 6 hours and I don't know why Princess bother to go there. If we went there again, I would not get off the ship. Definitely the worst port we have been to and local tours are VERY expensive. Local shops and market stalls were very repetitive and not that cheap.

Fletch1

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i sent a friend request to you. im martha and we are going on the apr 4/2011 beijing to bangkok cruise and i saw you did a otur in okinawa of the WWII bunkers and i was wondering if you took a private tour? any info you have? private tours at any of the other ports? tiawan, hong kong,shanghai, singapore and 2 stops in vietnam?? thanks martha

It is pronounced and written "Hara Kiri", by the way.

The US Military and Chinese refugees have nearly ruined Okinawa.

The crime and filth there are amazing. But a great spot to visit strip clubs, massage parlors, and pawn shops.

As mentioned earlier, it is quite expensive, but without the great comforts and sights of the rest of Japan.

so sad to read what has happened to my BELOVED OKINAWA...was there as a teen in the late 60s early 70s (dad stationed in the AirForce) and one day thought i would be able to go back and hopefully on a cruise...some of my BEST YEARs were spent on the island of OKINAWA!!!

hi there my fiance and I are going on a cruise with royal carribian in Sept this year and Naha and Nagasaki will be two of the ports of call, which one has the Inperial navy underground tunnels that you metioned? did you go there your self? how did you get there?

Many thanks

This sounds really interesting my fiance and I are going there in september was it Naha or Nagasaki? How did you get there?

This sounds really interesting my fiance and I are going there in september was it Naha or Nagasaki? How did you get there?

It is in Okinawa. You can get there by taxi.

that was naha. take the ship's tour (surely it will be offered). taxis are ridiculously expensive in okinawa.

• 4 weeks later...
the cheap Okinawa that we apparently knew back then is gone!!

where were you stationed?

Ft Buckner. I lived in Yomitan (off post) and Kishaba Terrace (on post). My middle daughter was born there.

Most of the time I was out on HAWK sites on Mt Tano-Dake (north of Nago), in Yomitan-Son (near the old airfield), and commanded the site just above White Beach.

Ft Buckner. I lived in Yomitan (off post) and Kishaba Terrace (on post). My middle daughter was born there.

Most of the time I was out on HAWK sites on Mt Tano-Dake (north of Nago), in Yomitan-Son (near the old airfield), and commanded the site just above White Beach.

i believe if i remember right...its only been 40 years....lol...that i saw a couple of movies at the theatre there-Ft Buckner and i think we use to check out the PX.

well that was COOL that your daughter was born there..

i spent 2 summers near White Beach (Girl Scout Camp) and got to ride in an LST-my brother was so jealous.

my dad was stationed at Kadena and we lived off base for awhile in Kadena Circle--about a 1/2 block or so from the 'sea-wall'

i LOVE talking the "old days" on Okinawa...

Archived