Can men wear jeans with a nice shirt on casual nights?

I always wear a suit on formal nights and dockers most other nights but I tried to wear jeans once. I was on the Ncl Pride of Aloha and they had me change my pants in order to enter the dining room. No big deal though. NCL is still my favorite cruise line to date. Going on my first RCI cruise in May so we will see how it goes.

Back to the Op. I have seen a lot of jeans in the MDR on all nights so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think I just caught someone on a bad night. Lol!

NCL had a no jeans policy, but I believe they have since done away with it.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I called back again after reading the replies and the next customer service rep told me that jeans were fine as long as they weren't ripped...

I totally get that they may not be the optimal choice for casual dinners in the main dining room, but hopefully we'll be able to get away with it! Don't want to ruin the surprise by making him go shopping! :)

It should say in your dac someplace that jeans are not allowed in the dinning room for dinner .That plain and simply english.Of coarse there are always people that feel the rules are for every one else except themselves. You know the ones Im talking about!The ones that sneak booze on board, the ones that pull up infront of the store and sit with the car running instaed of parking like everyone else ECT.My grandmother used to say {if your friends jump of the bridge are you going to jump with them} I have been on a ship and seen people refused entry to the dinning room and was pleased to see these rues being applied, OH YEA and on the Oasis they are doing this to chair hogs aswell. 30 and your towels are gone end of story.If you get stuck eating in the buffet at night dont come back blamming people for giving you bad advice.

It should say in your dac someplace that jeans are not allowed in the dinning room for dinner .That plain and simply english.Of coarse there are always people that feel the rules are for every one else except themselves. You know the ones Im talking about!The ones that sneak booze on board, the ones that pull up infront of the store and sit with the car running instaed of parking like everyone else ECT.My grandmother used to say {if your friends jump of the bridge are you going to jump with them} I have been on a ship and seen people refused entry to the dinning room and was pleased to see these rues being applied, OH YEA and on the Oasis they are doing this to chair hogs aswell. 30 and your towels are gone end of story.If you get stuck eating in the buffet at night dont come back blamming people for giving you bad advice.

You are 100% incorrect here. Jeans are allowed in the dining room. I have the Oasis Compass right here in front of me and here are the dress code SUGGESTIONS.

Tonight's Dinner Dress SUGGESTION

Casual or Colorful Caribbean. Please note that bare feet, short pants, cap and tank tops are not permitted in the Dining Room or any of our Specialty Restaurants.

Where do you see no jeans above?

To the OP, go and enjoy your cruise and don't let the hens on this board try to sway you in any other way. Jeans are fine. :)

I always look at this issue a certain way.

What would I wear to a better restaurant in town?

I prefer to dress up on occasion but perhaps the only reason is that I don't get to wear my nice suits daily as I work out of the house.

You see, that question depends entirely on what town you're in. Here in Los Angeles, we wear jeans to the better restaurants. The only people really dressed (especially in khakis) are the tourists. :D;)

It should say in your dac someplace that jeans are not allowed in the dinning room for dinner .That plain and simply english.Of coarse there are always people that feel the rules are for every one else except themselves.

Really. Have you actually seen this in your docs (I'm assuming dac means docs)? If so please, please tell me where.

Such a touchy topic here on CC, lol, you got to laugh a bit! Here is my question (& I dont care what others wear as long as they look presentable and not like they're working in a field, lol) - Why is it that folks dont like to get dressed up and look fine anymore!? Just curious. (& yes on casual nights we have worn nice, dressy jeans in the MDR without incident)

Such a touchy topic here on CC, lol, you got to laugh a bit! Here is my question (& I dont care what others wear as long as they look presentable and not like they're working in a field, lol) - Why is it that folks dont like to get dressed up and look fine anymore!? Just curious. (& yes on casual nights we have worn nice, dressy jeans in the MDR without incident)

I don't know that anyone said they don't get dressed up at all. We're talking casual night here, where jeans are clearly allowed. Now ask me about formal night, and I'll tell you that I wear a tuxedo. That just wasn't the question here.

Regarding preference - my assumption is that he doesn't prefer khakis as I have only seen one pair (which he dug out for our last cruise and were subsequently ruined in the wash which I was thankful for cause they were horrid) and he wears jeans most of the time. I am going on the assumption that if he wanted/liked khakis he would have purchased some - though perhaps he simply hasn't had a reason to. But I would prefer NOT to have to go out and buy pants for him that he may or may not like if the "no jeans" thing isn't a hard and fast rule.

OP, I bet you didn't think you'd get so many opinions on whether you should bring jeans to the tropics, did you? No, since that's not what you asked!

She obviously knows what he wears, so why the need for people to say if jeans are a good thing to bring to warm weather? If she wanted to know that, she would've asked that question.

- Why is it that folks dont like to get dressed up and look fine anymore!? Just curious. (& yes on casual nights we have worn nice, dressy jeans in the MDR without incident)

well, some people have to dress up everyday for work. so dressing up to go to dinner is nothing new. and vacation is the entire idea that you should do whatever you want to do, so people don't like rules like what clothes you wear -we already have that at work (and the kids that go to certain schools these days). however, most people are willing to somewhat dress up on certain nights if their wife, girlfriend, etc likes to get decked out.

She obviously knows what he wears, so why the need for people to say if jeans are a good thing to bring to warm weather? If she wanted to know that, she would've asked that question.

Come on, you've been around long enough to know that maybe one or two posts answer the OP's question, the rest are just the same old stuff that we appear to be addicted to. Don't spoil the fun. I love jeans threads.

Yes, its perfectly fine. My hubby wears a pair of nice jeans and a polo shirt or a button up shirt on casual nights. I have even worn a pair of "dressy" jeans (you ladies know what those are) and a dressy top with some spiffy looking shoes on casual nights. No biggie. ;)

OP, I bet you didn't think you'd get so many opinions on whether you should bring jeans to the tropics, did you? No, since that's not what you asked!

I definitely didn't expect such an outpouring of responses - but I do appreciate them all!

There was definitely no issue wearing jeans for casual nights on the last cruise we were on (which was on Carnival) but having never been on an RCI ship, didn't know if things were different. And that cruise was in the Southern Caribbean in the late summer and he was OK in jeans (not too hot), so I am hoping the weather wouldn't be any hotter in the Bahamas in May and that won't be an issue! :)

I like to think that my brilliant Wolverine logic finally got to him, but I can only dream...:)

Never.

To the OP....wear what you want, but remember, you'll look out of place.

We were on Adventure a couple weeks ago. We sat near the entrance on deck 4 and saw everyone that entered. We only saw 5 persons wearing shorts and about a dozen wearing jeans. I did not see any so called "designer jeans", they were all the $30 variety of Wranglers and Levi's and one of them had both knees ripped open. So much for "nice jeans". Everyone else was dressed properly. We asked the head waiter why they allowed shorts, even though the sign out front prohibited shorts. As well another table near by asked the same question. He gave some excuse about not want to cause a scene. So we cut back on his tip. We felt he deserved at least a small tip, since he did remove the shell from our lobsters. We also DID have a Smart Casual night, 2 Formal and the rest were casual.

So to refresh everyone as to what RCI's dress code is:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UCLOU1YOmKOUZ1czLu_m8_b:12hbiodf7;jsessionid=0000daij_3kyi2F4m-reT1g9Ajz:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Jeans - or as I call them, dungarees - have become the worlds' uniform now. I'd imagine you will see them in the dining room on what used to be "formal" night - a vanishing trend, alas - along with whatever else anyone wants to wear. Personally, I am bored to tears with jeans, levis, dungarees...don't own a pair anymore. When I want casual I wear khaki.

Can he? Sure. But do you think that what he wants to present himself as the best he owns for casual wear?

Dinner on casual nights is usually just country club attire. He may not want to look like he's the car hop.

What is "country club attire"?

Sounds like something from the 1950s.

I definitely didn't expect such an outpouring of responses - but I do appreciate them all!

There was definitely no issue wearing jeans for casual nights on the last cruise we were on (which was on Carnival) but having never been on an RCI ship, didn't know if things were different. And that cruise was in the Southern Caribbean in the late summer and he was OK in jeans (not too hot), so I am hoping the weather wouldn't be any hotter in the Bahamas in May and that won't be an issue! :)

Carnival and RCI are very close in what they offer.

There isn't much different in the two lines at all other than their alcohol polices.;)

So if it is acceptable on Carnival, go for it on Royal.:)

Never.

To the OP....wear what you want, but remember, you'll look out of place.

We were on Adventure a couple weeks ago. We sat near the entrance on deck 4 and saw everyone that entered. We only saw 5 persons wearing shorts and about a dozen wearing jeans. I did not see any so called "designer jeans", they were all the $30 variety of Wranglers and Levi's and one of them had both knees ripped open. So much for "nice jeans". Everyone else was dressed properly. We asked the head waiter why they allowed shorts, even though the sign out front prohibited shorts. As well another table near by asked the same question. He gave some excuse about not want to cause a scene. So we cut back on his tip. We felt he deserved at least a small tip, since he did remove the shell from our lobsters. We also DID have a Smart Casual night, 2 Formal and the rest were casual.

So to refresh everyone as to what RCI's dress code is:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UCLOU1YOmKOUZ1czLu_m8_b:12hbiodf7;jsessionid=0000daij_3kyi2F4m-reT1g9Ajz:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

I think you just admitted from your own observations that there is no dress code, only suggestions. ;)

While I might agree with you that it's a shame they don't enforce their own suggestions/code, RCI is definately a mass market casual line. As such I accept that during dinner I'm likely to see any sort of dress style including shorts.

As to the maitre de I suspect it's not his fault but those above him/her who tell them to be slack on what's allowed in the MDR. It's to bad you couldn't cut their tips back like you did the poor fellow who is likely just following orders.

Jeans - or as I call them, dungarees - have become the worlds' uniform now. I'd imagine you will see them in the dining room on what used to be "formal" night - a vanishing trend, alas - along with whatever else anyone wants to wear. Personally, I am bored to tears with jeans, levis, dungarees...don't own a pair anymore. When I want casual I wear khaki.

And I think a pair of well cut jeans look much better than a pair of khakis which in my opinion are not appropriate for a night out at all. My husband will be wearing jeans, a button down shirt and dress shoes and will look much nicer than someone in "khakis" and a polo shirt. He can the above into the nicest restaurants and clubs in Vegas or at home in Seattle. I don't even know what "dungarees" are?:confused:

Do people still actually wear those? :confused:

Not unless they roll them up mid-calf and have the bobby sox and saddle shoes to go with them. I remember "dungarees" lest anyone think I am some sweet young thing (not), but I would never put dungarees and today's jeans in the same category. JMO!

I think you just admitted from your own observations that there is no dress code, only suggestions. ;)

While I might agree with you that it's a shame they don't enforce their own suggestions/code, RCI is definately a mass market casual line. As such I accept that during dinner I'm likely to see any sort of dress style including shorts.

As to the maitre de I suspect it's not his fault but those above him/her who tell them to be slack on what's allowed in the MDR. It's to bad you couldn't cut their tips back like you did the poor fellow who is likely just following orders.

Oh, contraire. What I am seeing is 99% of the cruisers, on that cruise, knew how to follow directions and chose to adhere to the dress code.

Archived