What is the deal with coffee?

immer

Ok, I can get used to paying for bottled water. Can do with poor service during dinner time. But I cannot do without coffee first thing in the morning. What is the deal with coffee? Can I fill up a thermos full of coffee late in the evening and bring it to my room? I suppose milk and sugar I can bring with me when I get on the ship.

From what I see, most of the reviews are such that I am beginning to dread the trip.

No coffee – no trip, and they can keep the non refundable fare. Perhaps then they can afford to brew decaf?

Hope to hear from you.

Immer

PS:

There is a wine package. Is there a soda package, or is it only @ $2+ / pop?

there's coffee in the dining room every morning. never went to the buffet for breakfast so I can't help you there. plus the coffee bar is open in the morning with delicious cappacino, american coffee etc if you want to pay for it. i don't think there was a soda package. it's a european ship, you're going to notice some differences from the american lines. I'm american and I loved it. don't dread it. have a bit of an open mind and it will be an outstanding, beautiful ship with a great crew.

Am I correct in assuming that there is breakfast/coffee room service available for all cabins on the Opera? I do have a heater and could bring coffee singles. It is not nice the scare the world or even one ship by showing up with out that first cup...right?

Gail

I cannot speak for Opera but having just travelled 17 days on Lirica I found coffee available every time I wanted it at Pergola on Deck 11 port and starboard side, self service including decaff. They brew it from 500g packs of italian ground coffee, I pack per coffee machine. Its Ok to begin with then as it sits there for a while it becomes less good, much as it would at home.

It was available certainly from 5.30 in the morning as I sometimes got up early to see the ship come into the island of the day and plenty of people, including crew,were getting coffee.

There was also hot chocolate and speciality teas available selfservice at no cost which was great.

If you want to pay for speciality coffee there was an excellent coffee shop and it was reasonably priced.

If Opera is like Lirica you should enjoy your cruise, don't even think about not going unless you are going to turn into an "Ugly American" and then everyone will be better off if you don't go. It was as enjoyable a cruise for me as on Holland America or Princess , just a little different in some ways.

On the Opera there is regular and decaf coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate available 24 hours a day for free right outside the buffet area on Deck 11. There is creamer, sugar, sweet and low etc. There is room service available for coffee and tea as well, there is coffee and tea served during breakfast hours in the buffet and dining room. Dont worry, you wont lack for coffee!!!!! There is a coffee bar that charges for coffee and even hot tea but most people go there for more "specialized" coffee drinks

There was no soda package available when I sailed in December, I brought my own onboard and noone questioned it.

Am I correct in assuming that there is breakfast/coffee room service available for all cabins on the Opera? I do have a heater and could bring coffee singles. It is not nice the scare the world or even one ship by showing up with out that first cup...right?

Gail

My thinking exactly! However, I don't want room service, particularly if it as 'reliable' as it appears to be, judging by some posts and reviews. Besides, I don't want to have alarm wake me up, and then wait around for coffee. This is cruel and unusual punishment that I do not want to undure even when I travel for business.

Thanks for your replies. Just in case, I am bringing along my stash of instant coffee and water heater.

Immer - on Lirica there were tubes of genuine branded Nescafe granules both regular and decaff available on deck 11, as well as hot milk, hot water.

If Opera is like Lirica - and I see no reason why it should not be - then, in spite of whatever reviews you may have read - you should enjoy your cruise.

Archived