Emerald vs Sapphire?

popper

First time with Princess - cruised Sapphire in March 2010 and enjoyed it. Booked Emerald for December. How do the ships compare? We enjoyed the aft pool area, 4 Anytime Dining rooms, Kids club on Sapphire.

Didnt like the crowds in the Horizon Court Buffet - long lines.

Any comparisons would be appreciated! thanks

Our first cruise was on the Emerald, on it's inaugral voyage in the Mediterranean. So, my opinion of the ship may be a bit swayed, since I was so in awe of EVERYTHING, including the itinerary. We loved it. We were on the Sapphire last year to Alaska, and loved it too. If I had to say which I preferred, probably the Emerald - I liked the Cafe Caribe at the end of Horizon Court for just a little variety and extra service. I think lineups at the buffet will be found on either ship depending on the time you arrive. We were early risers for breakfast and never had a problem - lunchtime, we just tried to avoid the popular time and had no problem then either, except in Alaska on the sea day when EVERYONE was on board and eating at the same time! I did like the 4 anytime dining rooms on Sapphire - it was nice to have the choice of places to go, with their signature dish in each room. Emerald has the 2 bigger Anytime rooms, but they aren't themed in decor or with the signature dish. Can't comment on the kids programs as we didn't have any kids with us. I missed out on the International Cafe when we were on the Emerald - just too many things to try I guess! I'm looking forward to trying it next time on the Crown. The Emerald's rooms were more up to date in their decor and flat screen tvs. The internet cafe and writing rooms were nicer in my opinion on the Sapphire. Loved both of the ships - once you're on one, the other feels very familiar, but with a few little differences to keep you on your toes.

The Emerald will have the International Cafe and Vines in the atrium area. The Sapphire doesn't. The Sapphire has the wider promenade deck with full loungers - the Emerald Promenade Deck is narrower and with chairs. The Emerald has Sabatini's at the back of the ship instead of on Deck 7 where it is on the Sapphire. Also, on the Emerald there is the Adagio Bar area (very quiet and nice for a pre-dinner drink) next to Sabatini's at the back of the ship. The Sapphire doesn't have Adadio's. However, I likethe aft pool area better on the Sapphire than on the Emerald. There are more loungers there on multiple decks than on the Emerald. This is because having Sabatini's and Adagio at the back takes up some of the aft pool deck area. The Emerald's decor, especially in the atrium area, is a bit more elegant due to all the tile, marble, and beautiful light fixtures. The Sapphire is one of my favorite ships and quiet beautiful but I have to say seeing all that lovely tile in the atrium (Crown, Emerald, Ruby) instead of primarily carpet makes a difference.

Both are great ships. Enjoy

We've been on both as well and love each for different reasons. We really like the Sapphire's wider Promenade deck and the Conservatory. On the Emerald we really like the International Cafe, Adagio's and Cafe Caribe, but otherwise the ships are very similar. You also have to remember that the Sapphire has one less passenger deck so it sails with 400+ less people with just about the same amount of public space.

Dave

Archived