Dover Sole anyone??

Could anyone recommend a restaurant with great Dover Sole in Dover.

Our plan is to visit Dover castle and have a nice lunch or early dinner (probably better) so we can see the Castle and town first.

My husband had Dover Sole in NYC once and he really enjoyed it so here is our chance to have the real thing - in Dover:)

Could anyone recommend a restaurant with great Dover Sole in Dover.

Our plan is to visit Dover castle and have a nice lunch or early dinner (probably better) so we can see the Castle and town first.

My husband had Dover Sole in NYC once and he really enjoyed it so here is our chance to have the real thing - in Dover:)

There is a gorgeous pub/restaurant in St Mary's Bay, Dover called The Coastguard.

They don't always have Dover Sole on the menu, but do do a FANTASTIC traditional fish & chips.

We live about 30 mins from there, and often go over for lunch on a Sunday.

Google The Coastguard, Dover and you will find it.

Best regards.

Beverley

Oh my - two wonderful restaurants. The menus for both sound delicious!!!

Thank you so much for the recommendations.

The Coast Guard is hosting a Historical Food Festival in Sept. - sounds like a fun event. I hope you can partake and have a great time. I just love to do things like that:)

What is the "allottment" they are talking about? I have a share in a organic veggie co-op and in the summer get veggies every week. Is it like that?

I'm a bit hungry now I might add!:rolleyes:

In the past British houses were built "back to back" with a small outside yard and no gardens. Local councils would rent small plots of land for people to grow their own veg on. Even today allotments are popular. The annual hire charge is cheap and many councils have waiting lists! :D

http://www.allotment.org.uk/

Lots of info on this site about British allotments! ;)

http://www.theallotmentdover.co.uk/allotment/home

This place uses fish caught from the nearby Folkestone small fishing fleet and fresh produce from local people's allotments! ;)

Do you by chance know if I can get into this restaurant in a wheelchair? I followed your link and it looks wonderful, but I don't want to get all excited and find I can't get in the door!

I tried emailing them, but only got back a "canned message", "thanking me for my interest"...

Oh my - two wonderful restaurants. The menus for both sound delicious!!!

Thank you so much for the recommendations.

The Coast Guard is hosting a Historical Food Festival in Sept. - sounds like a fun event. I hope you can partake and have a great time. I just love to do things like that:)

Seriously, if they have an event and you can catch it DON'T miss it!

It is a gorgeous old English pub, literally right on the beach.

If they have a food festival... I'll be going myself:D:D

Do you by chance know if I can get into this restaurant in a wheelchair? I followed your link and it looks wonderful, but I don't want to get all excited and find I can't get in the door!

I tried emailing them, but only got back a "canned message", "thanking me for my interest"...

OK, I rang them for you. They have excellent wheelchair access with wide double doors at the front of the restaurant.

They advised that you really must make a reservation as they get very busy.

:D

OK, I rang them for you. They have excellent wheelchair access with wide double doors at the front of the restaurant.

Well done for phoning! :D

The access is good and there are times when it gets very busy. :rolleyes: That does depend on time, day etc though.

bsquare I've not been to the Coast Guard for a while. Must try and get there this summer! ;)

You both have been wonderful with the info.

We have a few gardens here like that - not many. I have room for a garden but the deer just love my goodies so I don't do all that work for them. I go to our Farmers Markets and my veggie share in the summer.

I hope you both have a wonderful time at the Historical Food Festival at Coast Guard. If I was there in Sept. - I would be first in line:D

If you remember, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you again - wonderful have "friends" all over the world on CC

Oh, how very kind of you! Thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing this!

I'll make a reservation right now!

Archived