How far out do you start planning what to pack

jenndun

I had a list on the computer of the basics I'd start buying and packing those about a month out, just so they were bought and out of the way (extra meds, shampoo etc). But my computer crashed so I lost my list. Have to make up another.

Clothing I start getting an idea about 2 months out. Mostly because I have to alter most of my formal dresses when I buy them so I have to start earlier then if I shopped off the rack. This year I'm dieting so putting off shopping until the last minute for the best fit and hoping I can get things shortened in time.

I have 23 days and the suitcases are out with somethings ready to go. I usually pack the clothes I wont be wearing before I go. and the other JUNK I will need ,like my power strip, snorkle gear,hamper,cups, etc, you get the idea. I put things in as I think of them so I don't forget anything.

That reminds me, I need to get my bungy cord. LOL

Start putting things such as suntan oil and such in an area so you know what you have and what you need. Do the same with any dress clothes you may be taking as well. Check expiration dates on any bathroom items you might be taking such as cold medicines and put them on a list if you will have to throw the old ones out and buy new ones. You don't want to be scrambling the night before.

Start thinking about your plan for securing the house, putting timers on lights, etc.

If you have an automatic ice maker, you will want to learn about the "ice maker trick" (tease):p

Wow. I usually start packing once I book the cruise, at least in my head. :o I am an obsessive packer. I will pack and re-pack countless times. I haven't started yet for November, but will probably have the suitcases out my August or September. (Yes, I know they make medication for that)

I start making lists the day I book the cruise! Mine is 87 days out. I've cleaned the guest room and now the packing will begin. I'll make the official list and have fun shopping over the next few months. I love the new clothes on vacation and a few of my comfortable favorites.

Do what makes you happy! It's vacation. I'm an OCD planner...... :-)

I have 37 days out until the cruise. I have had a list on the computer since 60 days. I do what the other people have suggested. I buy things here and there that I will need and place in a suitcase (or at least a corner of the house) and cross of the list that I have. That way once it is here, it is just place into suitcase and go.

I will also add that normally I am not this anal about packing but I am packing with an infant so I need to make sure I am prepared for everything!

here is my list so far (sorry its long)

A. Medicines & Sundries (Whole Family)

a. Any current prescriptions

b. Benadryl

c. Antibiotic Cream

d. Anti-Itch Cream

e. Anti Diarrhea Meds

f. Pedialyte

g. Band-aids

h. Infants , Children’s, Adults Tylenol & Motrin

i. Vitamins

j. Sunblock (Infants & Regular)/lotion

k. Chapstick/Aquaphor

l. Sunburn gel

m. Anti bacterial hand cleaner

n. Childrens insect repellant

o. Diaper rash cream

p. Baby shampoo

q. Nichole shampoo

r. Toothpaste/brush

s. Hair brush

t. Shaving stuff

u. Dish detergent (for bottles)

v. Laundry soap/stain remover stick

w. Roll of quarters

x. Thermometer

y. Air freshener

z. Razors

B. Baby Items

a. Diaper Bag

b. Diapers

c. Wipes

d. Swim Diapers

e. Pacifiers

f. Zip lock bags

g. Formula

h. Bottles

i. Nipples

j. Baby food

k. Spoons

l. Bibs

m. Inflatable tub

n. Baby monitor

o. Toys (rattles, links to hold toys)

p. Blanket

q. Placemats for table

r. Sun tent

s. crib sheets

t. Halo sleep sack

u. Extension cord and power outlet

v. Nightlight

C. Clothing for family

a. T-shirts (6-7)

b. Shorts (6-7)

c. Button up shirt/nicer pants formal nights (3)

d. Dresses (3)

e. Jeans

f. Pjs

g. Socks

h. Sandals

i. Bathing suits

j. Jeans

k. Underwear (8)/Bras

l. Socks (8)

m. Sandals/flip flops

n. Water shoes

o. Sneakers

p. Dress shoes

q. Jacket/sweatshirt

r. Hat

s. Sunglasses

B. Miscellaneous

a. Sleep machine

b. Nichole’s pillow

c. Camera

d. Painters tape for curtains

e. Small alarm clock

f. Small tote bag that can fit into luggage for sodas (check goodwill)

g. Chargers

i. Ipod

ii. Cell

iii. Nintendo ds

iv. Camera

About an hour before leaving for the port . . . but, technically, I cheat as I always have a double set of toiletries already in the luggage, 4 or 5 laundered and folded shirts always in the closet, so I just throw in puter, camera, battery charger, shorts, underwear, polos, socks, suit, dress shoes and I'm off. I usually book only 3-5 days before the cruise, so this method fits right in.

OK another compulsive packer here. When we finish a cruise we put things away that we only use for cruising in our guest room. Then we start picking things up we will need for our next. Right now 35 days out clothes are lying on the bed and today I will decide where they all go. Need clothes to get to plane in Boston. Plane clothes. Clothes for our day in Cocoa Beach. Clothes for Embarcation etc. I try to plan it so that when we get on the plane with our 2 carryons we have lots to hold us if our luggage gets lost. I know lots just throw things in a suitcase and go, I don't operate like that.

My DW is the packer in the family but the night before the cruise all of the clothes I am taking finds its way on our bed.

Since we became platinum and they do our laundry less and less each time.

For Meds will make sure I have enough a few days before the cruise.

I had a list on the computer of the basics I'd start buying and packing those about a month out, just so they were bought and out of the way (extra meds, shampoo etc). But my computer crashed so I lost my list. Have to make up another.

Just a suggestion, but for static lists like this create an account with Google, and use their Google Docs to store them. I lost my mailing list (Christmas cards) once several years ago, and found this alternate. I know maintain about 10 different long term lists in Google Docs that will always be there.

To answer the OP, I have a list that I adjust when something new pops into my mind from reading these boards, or chatting with my many friends who cruise. I normally start the main planning for packing about 2 months out, and pack the day before I leave (take it off from work to go get the last minute items on my list I do not seem to have at home).

I have a trip box where I put the extra vacation things. I started filling it after Christmas because we are taking the kids for the first time. I bought them some cruise things for Christmas and didn't want them to lose them. The rule is: What goes in the trip box, stays in the trip box. :p It's getting pretty full now as I keep buying the new summer shoes and things they need. We leave in 83 days! I have already packed the suitcases once because I was worried about the weight limits on the plane, 35 pounds each so we're good. We've never flown as a family either. We usually drive. I've made a list of clothing for each of us (and which suitcase they go in) but won't pack the suitcases until the day before we leave. Yes, I need help!! :D

My husband works on cars all day and will grab any t-shirt or short sleeve shirt he touches in the morning.(not a morning person). I washed his shirts from last years cruise when we got back washed them and put them back in the suitcase. I'll freshen them up about 3 weeks before we leave. Then for the next 2 weeks I'll pack and repack.

Anything new I buy for him will also be washed and packed, NOW.

My cruise in in Sept.

I have 37 days out until the cruise. I have had a list on the computer since 60 days. I do what the other people have suggested. I buy things here and there that I will need and place in a suitcase (or at least a corner of the house) and cross of the list that I have. That way once it is here, it is just place into suitcase and go.

I will also add that normally I am not this anal about packing but I am packing with an infant so I need to make sure I am prepared for everything!

here is my list so far (sorry its long)

A. Medicines & Sundries (Whole Family)

a. Any current prescriptions

b. Benadryl

c. Antibiotic Cream

d. Anti-Itch Cream

e. Anti Diarrhea Meds

f. Pedialyte

g. Band-aids

h. Infants , Children’s, Adults Tylenol & Motrin

i. Vitamins

j. Sunblock (Infants & Regular)/lotion

k. Chapstick/Aquaphor

l. Sunburn gel

m. Anti bacterial hand cleaner

n. Childrens insect repellant

o. Diaper rash cream

p. Baby shampoo

q. Nichole shampoo

r. Toothpaste/brush

s. Hair brush

t. Shaving stuff

u. Dish detergent (for bottles)

v. Laundry soap/stain remover stick

w. Roll of quarters

x. Thermometer

y. Air freshener

z. Razors

B. Baby Items

a. Diaper Bag

b. Diapers

c. Wipes

d. Swim Diapers

e. Pacifiers

f. Zip lock bags

g. Formula

h. Bottles

i. Nipples

j. Baby food

k. Spoons

l. Bibs

m. Inflatable tub

n. Baby monitor

o. Toys (rattles, links to hold toys)

p. Blanket

q. Placemats for table

r. Sun tent

s. crib sheets

t. Halo sleep sack

u. Extension cord and power outlet

v. Nightlight

C. Clothing for family

a. T-shirts (6-7)

b. Shorts (6-7)

c. Button up shirt/nicer pants formal nights (3)

d. Dresses (3)

e. Jeans

f. Pjs

g. Socks

h. Sandals

i. Bathing suits

j. Jeans

k. Underwear (8)/Bras

l. Socks (8)

m. Sandals/flip flops

n. Water shoes

o. Sneakers

p. Dress shoes

q. Jacket/sweatshirt

r. Hat

s. Sunglasses

B. Miscellaneous

a. Sleep machine

b. Nichole’s pillow

c. Camera

d. Painters tape for curtains

e. Small alarm clock

f. Small tote bag that can fit into luggage for sodas (check goodwill)

g. Chargers

i. Ipod

ii. Cell

iii. Nintendo ds

iv. Camera

Awesome list!!! To the OP, I started about 2 weeks ago and I cruise in less than 2 months!!! LOL! But I like prepping way ahead and up until the day of my cruises....

about 10 weeks out, in a few weeks I will pull out our suitcases and place a dryer sheet in each one to give it that spring-time fresh smell, then after 3 to 4 weeks my wife and I will start to slowly pack. Will be all ready to go the week of the cruise.

Archived