Main Dining Room and Tipping

ETA: Speaking to the subject at hand, which is when you are not using the Main Dining Room for traditional assigned seating...

If the ultimate goal of providing a gratuity is to reward (or pay) those who actually provided you service, there can be no dispute that it is best to put cash in their hand, personally.

Any other method, especially in My Time Dining (pooled tips) or using the Windjammer "tip jar" (presumably also pooled), dilutes that reward among all the other staff, who, while perhaps just as deserving, are not the exact ones who personally served you.

This is simple math.

Theron

ETA: Speaking to the subject at hand, which is when you are not using the Main Dining Room for traditional assigned seating...

If the ultimate goal of providing a gratuity is to reward (or pay) those who actually provided you service, there can be no dispute that it is best to put cash in their hand, personally.

Any other method, especially in My Time Dining (pooled tips) or using the Windjammer "tip jar" (presumably also pooled), dilutes that reward among all the other staff, who, while perhaps just as deserving, are not the exact ones who personally served you.

This is simple math.

Theron

No, not simple math, simply your opinion. The OP asked and we are giving her our opinion. No one is right or wrong. The OP just has to decide which works for them. I prefer to use a system that the cruise line has set up called pre paid gratuties. I know that I paid and I let the cruise line handle the rest. If there is a crew member that went out of their way to make my cruise more enjoyable, then there is nothing stopping me from giving them an additional gratuity.

No, not simple math, simply your opinion. The OP asked and we are giving her our opinion. No one is right or wrong. The OP just has to decide which works for them. I prefer to use a system that the cruise line has set up called pre paid gratuties. I know that I paid and I let the cruise line handle the rest. If there is a crew member that went out of their way to make my cruise more enjoyable, then there is nothing stopping me from giving them an additional gratuity.

Within the parameters I stated, opinion cannot trump math. I'm sorry, facts are facts. If your goal is to distribute tips in a convenient fashion, without regard to how they are distributed, then the manner does not really matter. But if your goal is to compensate the folks who served you personally, and you are not using the Main Dining Room with those persons assigned to your account, then my statement stands. This isn't a matter of feelings, it's solid objective fact.

Your opinion on how to best distribute the tips you provide is absolutely up to you and you alone. You are entitled to feel however you wish about that. I was answering a specific question on how to best get tips to the person who personally served you. My response answers that question accurately.

Theron

You didn't phrase it as an opinion but as fact and you seem to have an issue :confused: Feel free to put me on your ignor list please, please.

The OP asked for the best way to handle the gratuities. I gave my opinon CrusiePRN, just like you gave your opinion. What is so hard for you to understand? And no I won't put you on ignore.

Is there a way to inform the main dining room that you do not plan to eat there during the cruise? I prefer the Windjammer.

How should I go about tipping? I understand that tips are their paycheck and regardless if I eat there or not they are there to serve me. But I also have read that you don't have to tip if you don't eat in the main dining room. :confused:

Thanks

Your going to get lots of opinions on this and that is exactly what they are-opinions.

If I were you-I would not tip the MDR and tip my WJ server. If you sit in the same section every night-you will have the same waiter and my opinion is-that person should recieve the tip. Not ones in the MDR you have never met. It's not my job to worry about salary-it's my job to tip my servers is the way I feel.

Just off Explorer. We had free pre paid gratuities through our TA. I often wonder if they do get the full amount. However We were seated at a table for 10 late seating and dined most evenings alone. Two people never came to the dining room. A family of 4 changed to early seating after the first night. Too late for the kids. That left two couples and on the third night the other couple got an emergancy phone call and had to fly home from San Juan. Our waiter had an 8 top next to us that was missing two people also. This brought his weekley pay to half. We felt sorry for him and left him an extra $40.00. Also xtra for the asst. and head waiter. First time I had a head waiter I thought earned his tips.

There were a lot of familys that had late seating with small children. They make you wait untill the second night to try to switch. Sp please, if you aren't going to eat in the dining room give up the table. They will not give it away unless you go to them and tell them you won't be using it. You will make someone else's vacation that much better.

Actually the best way is to use the cash envelopes so they can tip those who gave them service..

and what about those people who gave them service for whom an envelope is not provided.

Perhaps a little honesty from you here might go down well.

Face it, you are trying to tip as few people as you can get away with.

We always pre-pay our tips and then give additional gratuities to those that go above and beyond.

It is common sense to inform the MDR that you are not requiring their services.

The gratuities onboard are reasonable, IMO. It amazes me just how many are so worried about what they are obliged to tip.:rolleyes: I hope one of their kids have to wait tables, to get by, and some idiot stiffs them out of a tip.

Then see what the reaction will be.:p

and what about those people who gave them service for whom an envelope is not provided.

what's the difference in money if you hand your envelope to the MDR waiter or WJ waiter. ??

I'm not getting your logic here.

what's the difference in money if you hand your envelope to the MDR waiter or WJ waiter. ??

I'm not getting your logic here.

What if the MDRW keeps all of the tip? What about the assistant waiter?

Are you bringing envelopes for everyone who served you:?

We have had waiters from other stations "help" our waiters out in the WJ. They will remove dishes and bring more drinks if we need them. How many envelopes are you planning on bringing?

Bakin; BTW-love your sig:)

The OP said they are not going to the MDR.

So if they give up the table why not tip the Wj servers.

No need to worry about an asistant waiter as you only have one in the WJ, somebody else could use the table in the MDR and I would give the whole kit and kaboodle tip to the WJ server! simple as pie.:D

And again-i will state-most folks assume everone eats every morning and afternoon in the WJ. So not true. room service and eating lunch in port can eliminate the WJ frenzy as most of us prefer. That's why some love our dinner in the WJ at night!;)

and I can only imagine the dining options on these two new mega monsters:eek:

Come on people, it's pretty obvious that ALL waitstaff rely and deserve tips, not just the main dining room. So some people think buffet staff do not work hard too? Please. And the attitude of not informing the dining room that you will not be attending is rude, rude, rude. Why am I always shocked at some people's behaviour? These have to be the same people that hog chairs, cut in line, and berate staff at the smallest notion; they are completely self-absorbed. Please don't be on my ship. :(

Honesty , this is my opinion, RCL determined the amounts to tip and following that guideline is exactly what they want. If a service is not used I would not tip for it, I don't run around handing dollar bills to everyone who says good morning. I FOLLOW the RCL guidelines no more and no less. I'll bet the staff wish everyone would follow the guidelines but that's really none of my business. I have never opted out of the MDR but if I did HONESTLY I would not tip the MDR staff because I did not use their service. I would leave a tip in the WJ jar but not the same amount as the MDR because it was self serve and that's worth less to me. How much more honest do you want me to be?:)

[quote name=cage keeper;23862984

There were a lot of familys that had late seating with small children. They make you wait untill the second night to try to switch. Sp please' date=' if you aren't going to eat in the dining room give up the table. They will not give it away unless you go to them and tell them you won't be using it. You will make someone else's vacation that much better.[/quote]

Our problem is the opposite. Because we have second seating, which for our iteneraries is not popular and full, we try and talk to the matri-de the first day. They refuse to take our table number. They tell us they have to leave us the option of dining in the mdr in case we change our mind. We've had them do this to us 9 out of 10 of the last crusies. The only time it didn't happen was when the one doing it was the person who used to be manager in the windjammer who knew us well enough to know we wouldn't be coming - had already seen us do 4 cruises the year before and only use the windjammer.

With this attitude on the part of the people in the dining room, how do you convince them otherwise? We'll tip but it doesn't seem fair not to let the servers, or the other people at the table that we're not showing up when we've already told the matri de.

For people like us, I wish there was an option of never using the dining room and having the tips prepaid.

Our problem is the opposite. Because we have second seating, which for our iteneraries is not popular and full, we try and talk to the matri-de the first day. They refuse to take our table number. They tell us they have to leave us the option of dining in the mdr in case we change our mind. We've had them do this to us 9 out of 10 of the last crusies. The only time it didn't happen was when the one doing it was the person who used to be manager in the windjammer who knew us well enough to know we wouldn't be coming - had already seen us do 4 cruises the year before and only use the windjammer.

With this attitude on the part of the people in the dining room, how do you convince them otherwise? We'll tip but it doesn't seem fair not to let the servers, or the other people at the table that we're not showing up when we've already told the matri de.

For people like us, I wish there was an option of never using the dining room and having the tips prepaid.

That just doesn't seem right. I know I don't like empty chairs at our table as much as the waiters don't. And on past cruises friends that booked cruises late were forced to take MTD when they perfer traditional. You are right. When you book a cruise,"no dining seating" should be an option. When our 23 yo son goes with us he doesn't eat in the dining room. But they do set aside 3 seats for us. On our up comming Alaska we will be 11 people and I think most night 3 will eat in the buffet.

That just doesn't seem right. I know I don't like empty chairs at our table as much as the waiters don't. And on past cruises friends that booked cruises late were forced to take MTD when they perfer traditional. You are right. When you book a cruise,"no dining seating" should be an option. When our 23 yo son goes with us he doesn't eat in the dining room. But they do set aside 3 seats for us. On our up comming Alaska we will be 11 people and I think most night 3 will eat in the buffet.

This is why I suggest to people who know they are not going to eat in the MDR to sign up for My Time Dining. This way there is not a specific seat reserved for your use. The issue here, however, is that you have to pre-pay your tips. Maybe someday if enough people comment on it they will allow none as a dining option, but until then maybe ask to have the tips removed if you don't ever eat in the MDR. They keep track when you show up for MTD so you should be able to prove it if necessary???

This is something that each person has to decide for themselves what's best in their situation and what they are comfortable with.

This is why I suggest to people who know they are not going to eat in the MDR to sign up for My Time Dining. This way there is not a specific seat reserved for your use. The issue here, however, is that you have to pre-pay your tips. Maybe someday if enough people comment on it they will allow none as a dining option, but until then maybe ask to have the tips removed if you don't ever eat in the MDR. They keep track when you show up for MTD so you should be able to prove it if necessary???

This is something that each person has to decide for themselves what's best in their situation and what they are comfortable with.

I do not agree with your suggestion. There are times when MTD is full and people who want to use it are turned away. I would not be happy if this happened to me only to find people were signing up and not taking advantage of it.

Also, my understanding is that you can't ask that your pre-paid gratuities be removed with MTD. So, that is not an option.

Too many pages of this same subject, so sorry I did not read them all. Here is what I discovered regarding WJ tipping on our 14 day fall 2009 Indy cruise. I hope this helps.

We never ate breakfast & lunch in the MDR.

We ate 3 dinners in the MDR. We advised the servers of our intentions on our first nite (we did not eat in the MDR, just went there to advise them). We did that as a courtesy. For our 3 nites, we tipped the MDR waiter & asst. $35 each (last nite took them envelopes even though we did not stay for dinner, & we graciously thanked them - they were very good servers.)

We thought the WJ dinner food on our Indy cruise was excellent - we were so impressed. We had the best lamb chops ever! The made-to-order dinner pasta bar is a real treat, & the pasta was extremely good since I led the cook thru every detail of how we wanted it! Every one of the WJ staff was extremely friendly & constantly asked if we wanted anything - we were very impressed. Best buffet food & staff we have ever had on any of our many cruises.

Two of the WJ officers became 'attached' to us & visited with us each dinner for some very pleasant & informative conversations, & gave us little food 'gifts':)(like plates of chocolate dipped strawberries-yum!). So, we felt they would be honest with us, & we asked them - if we auto-tip or give our tip to the MDR servers would it be shared with WJ crew, & they said "No". We said, but the WJ crew also work in the MDR, so it works out? They said "No". Many of the WJ crew do not work in the main dining room, so they do not benefit from the MDR tipping. They informed us that for the last WJ dinner a tip box would be located at the WJ entrance & we could monetarily thank the WJ crew by placing our tip envelope in the box, if we so choose to do. That is what we did - although, the tip box was not prominately located; we had to search for it.

So, I wish more cruisers would generously use the WJ tip box. And, I wish more CC folks would not tell inquirers to tip the WJ crew via auto-tipping or envelopes to MDR staff - it is just not true.

Not tipping the WJ staff because it is a buffet is not acceptable for us. We feel they definitely deserve tips. Just because they are not putting the food on one's plate & bringing it to one's table does not mean they are not serving. They are putting the food & drinks on the serving tables for us to select - that is a service. Sometimes they are complying with requests for drinks, etc. - that is a service. If they are pleasant & exchange pleasantries with diners - that is a service - it is their job. We would never consider leaving them out of our tip arrangements - unless the service was horrible, of course.

Lastly, when we travel, dine, cruise, etc., we tip for services rendered to us personally. We do not make charitable donations. So, on land & sea, we do NOT tip for services NOT rendered, such as, to MDR staff when we do not eat there. We do not base our tips on how much money the employee makes - that is between the employee & the employer - none of our business - just as I would not eliminate a tip because the employee makes a fair wage. Also, just as a table will sit empty when the ship is not full, it will sit empty when we do not dine in the MDR - that is not an issue for us, IMO. We have the right to dine where we choose on a ship (unless it is Cunard & they won't let us in the upscale dining room!:eek:)

As I said - I hope some of my input is useful to someone. I realize some will not agree, but that is OK with me. We are all entitled to determine how we spend our own money, aren't we. Happy sailings everyone.

Hi,

Prepaid gratuities are pooled between the serving staff.

Tips in the traditional dining rooms are not pooled. MTD tips are. Any extra cash you wish to give to an MTD waiter is his or hers to keep.

We saw a tip jar outside the WJ so this really does make the most sense for the given scenario.

Only a few ships have them. Radiance used to, but then were told by Miami to take it down. So that tip jar is a rogue setup. I liked it, because we eat quite a few dinners in the WJ but seldom saw the same server twice.

I used to try to tip where I got service, and generally gave more than the recommended amount overall so as not to short anybody in the MDR even if I wasn't eating there. But it's all gotten too confusing to me with all the various venues. I just put the tips on my Seapass account and forget about it. I wish RCI would give up on the traditional tipping - they are now pretty much alone in the mass market world in insisting on it. Add a daily service charge and be done with it.

Thank you twoatsea for the information. I will definitely bring cash with me so I can tip in the WJ and will not do prepaid. My first cruise we added tips onto our seapass account even though my boyfriend and I only ate in the main dining room 2 nights out of our 9 night cruise. I feel bad now for not tipping in the WJ. I still have a lot to learn about cruising. :)

Archived