CPAP and cruising

CBussey64

Just wondering if anyone on this board has cruised with a CPAP machine? If so what do I need to do to be sure there is an available outlet near the bed? I have 103 apneic episodes an hour with a pulse of ox 79% without it, so it's a MUST bring. Thanks in advance.

I took mine as a carry on. I wouldn't trust the airlines (lost or broken). :)

CPAP is very common and you will not need a medical necessity letter ( or at least I never have) , do carry it on the airline and the cruise ship . I have a 25' extension cord which is overkill but have been on one ship ( I can't remember which ) and the only outlet was in the bathroom and I needed the extra length .

If you go to the pursers desk you can get an extension cord with a 25% refundable deposit , it's a hassle though to wait in line on the first and last days so i just picked up my own cord and keep it in my bag.

I use Bi-Pap and when I switched from c-pap I do not use water in it , I did use water in my cpap and needed it . I guess the constant air dried me out .

Do not worry it will all go well , enjoy your cruise

Does Carnival have electrical outlets with two or three prongs on them so we'll know which type of extension cord to bring?

Their outlets will have 3 prongs and the type of extension cord will depend on what your needs are - if your appliance requires a 3 prong then make sure you take an extension cord that will accept a 3 prong cord.

I have used a c-pap on about 23 cruises over the past 7 years. Never used water but you should get a 3 prong power strip and at least a 6 foot extension cord. Be ready to take it out at the airport, they will not be happy if you dont. Carnival usually doesnt bother. Once they asked me to go to the purser and verify I had all proper components, but nothing else. Happy sailing.

Archived