Need Advise on port in Amsterdam

We will be leaving at 4:30 pm from the port in Amsterdam. Is there actually anything to see upon leaving the port? Should we be on deck for photos etc. Our group would like to have a "Sail Away" but we don't want to miss anything either. Can someone help me please.

We will be leaving at 4:30 pm from the port in Amsterdam. Is there actually anything to see upon leaving the port? Should we be on deck for photos etc. Our group would like to have a "Sail Away" but we don't want to miss anything either. Can someone help me please.

I would wait until you are at the open sea.

1. The skyline of Amsterdam City - from the upper deck it's like the view from the roofs of London with Mary Poppins...

2. The Ijmuiden lock when the people are standing there to wave you.

3. The Dutch landscape between Amsterdam and Ijmuiden: there are mixed discussions here: after 4 times I find it not too interesting. If you are doing the first time and you have "ride" side of the ship it could be interesting if you are not living very urban - if you have the "wrong" side of the ship it could be very boring with all oil raffineries etc.

But if you stay at the bow of the ship or on one upper deck you will discover which side is right or wrong.

Regards

HeinBloed

The sailing out of Amsterdam itself is very nice with view over the city.

After a while you get the "polder" dutchlandscape which is partly interesting on the right side of the ship.

Indeed you will often see people waving and watching the ship sail by in Northseacanal..

Be on deck before IJmuiden (about 2 1/2 hr. from Amsterdam) and see how the ship sails into the lock, how the waterlevel will be handled and after about 20 minutes how the ship leaves the dock again.

Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to be outside.

Archived