question about locking luggage

CharlotteCpl

I know that the CCL site says to leave luggage unlocked. I am now curious to know if TSA approved locks will be a problem. I last cruised in 2008 and had no problems with these locks. I am curious to know if anyone else has used these locks and had a problem. I don't intend on carrying anything that is not allowed, but don't always trust my luck. Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated. I know some say they have used tie wraps, but I wouldn't be able to open them without a knife or scissors.

Sorry, I don't know much about TSA locks because I don't fly. However, I do use tie wraps and instead of using a knife or scissors to cut them, I use a nail clipper (one that doesn't have a file/blade) that I pack in my carry on.

I just cruised two weeks ago. I zip-tied my luggage and had no issues. I always use colored zip-ties that way I know if they opened my luggage. I did not fly. I wouldn't mind leaving my luggage unlocked, but Carnival assumes no responsibility when you leave the luggage with the porter. Then you luggage could be outside your room for an hour or two. If they would assume resonsibility I wouldn't mind leaving it unlocked. Until that time I will zip-tie with colored ties.

Candi

When we cruised Feb. 7, 2010, they had rescinded the requirement to lock luggage. It is now a recommendation, but is not required. We always lock our luggage and use the TSA locks. TSA locks are not expensive and if the airlines need to open your luggage, they will leave a note behind. We had a note in one of our suitcases this last trip; the TSA lock was not cut and was replaced as it should have been. If Carnival needs to open your luggage, they are supposed to call you down to do it in front of them. Never had a problem, but we don't smuggle either.

They have changed or aren't enforcing that rule at most ports... But if your bag is locked, and they want to search it, they call you to security to open and claim your bag. They do this on board, and I know of one person who missed early seating to get her bag... but it was just a nuisance, nothing more!!!

And I use nail clippers to open my tie wraps. The kind in my purse, and haven't had any problems with them...

Thank you all for all of the input. Flying is not an issue for me since we drive. Thanks again for all of the info.:)

With you driving to port, the TSA locks won't make a difference.The cruise lines don't have master keys for the TSA locks. If you are uncomfortable with handing over you bags unlocked to the porters and luggage lock or the zip ties will work for that.

Better than the twist ties...I bought a package of velcro one wrap resusable straps....25 for about 2 or 3 bucks at places like Michaels..They have a loop at the end...I iriginally bought them for microphone cords, etc....Many many uses...

Archived