Post Cruise transfer from Seward to Anchorage

Jake's Mom

I am interested in hearing any opinion on the train transfer vs the bus transfer Royal Caribbean offers at the end of the Northbond Alaskan cruise. Our cruise end in Seward and we will be flying out of Anchorage around 5pm that night.

Has anyone taken either of these cruise transfers?

Although a resident of Anchorage, I've ridden both train and bus to and from Seward. With that in mind, I've always enjoyed the train more than driving. Last week's Parade newspaper insert listed the route as one of the most scenic in North America. Although train and bus follow the same route along Turnagain Arm from Portage to Anchorage, the section between Moose Pass and Portage goes through Grandview and close to Spencer Glacier which is off the road system. Well worth the extra time it takes the train.

If at all possible, add a few days, you are shortchanging yourself with being all the way there. :)

But a "problem" is the ship contracted train is 50%+++ more costly than booking direct. The train is superior scenery, but sometimes they have bus "stops" along the way, adding to that transfer.

The train leaves about 7am, buses leave over a couple hour's time. An alternative suggestion would be to get an early start and consider a Seward activity- Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled dogs, Alaska Sealife Center, flightseeing etc, then get an independent bus to Anchorage, rather than wasting hours waiting for an evening flight.

Although a resident of Anchorage, I've ridden both train and bus to and from Seward. With that in mind, I've always enjoyed the train more than driving. Last week's Parade newspaper insert listed the route as one of the most scenic in North America. Although train and bus follow the same route along Turnagain Arm from Portage to Anchorage, the section between Moose Pass and Portage goes through Grandview and close to Spencer Glacier which is off the road system. Well worth the extra time it takes the train.

How long will it take from Seward to Anchorage by train? Thanks

We thought the train trip from Seward to Anchorage was one of our best "excursions". We saw eagles, mountain goats, moose, and spectacular scenery. If you do the ship's excursion, you disembark first and arrive in Anchorage with plenty of time to explore some before your flight. (At least this was true on Princess.)

Something you might keep in mind is traffic. We were on the bus transfer and the traffic that day was horrific due to an accident. Since the road is the one and only major road leading in and out if there is a hold up you are stuck. We sat on the roadside for two hours when we had a transfer with Holland America due to a truck pulling a boat that overturned on the road. The road is narrow, you cannot go around or turn around. So basically you are stuck. Our friends on the train made it in to Anchorage three hours ahead of us.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look up the web site for the Alaska Railroad they provide all the time tables that will show when the trains leave and arrive. If memory serves me correctly, there is not a 7:00 a.m. train that leaves Seward for Anchorage. I would check the web site.

Hi,

I called Alaska Railroad, and they leave at 6 pm. Sooo... which company does the morning train?

Anne

It is Alaska RR, with cruiseline cars and it is a completely CONTRACTED train by the cruiselines. You need to contact your booking agent and see if the train is running for your particular cruise.

If you look up the web site for the Alaska Railroad they provide all the time tables that will show when the trains leave and arrive. If memory serves me correctly, there is not a 7:00 a.m. train that leaves Seward for Anchorage. I would check the web site.

YES, there is a train, run by Alaska RR, pulling the cruiseline rail cars, and COMPLETELY contracted by the cruiseline. It is NOT going to be on the Alaska RR web site.

The cost is about 40% more than the regular run of the Alaska RR.

We are also taking the train from Seward to Anchorage. Our flight doesn't leave Anchorage until about 8:00 p.m.

RCCL agent couldn't tell me what time the train left - this would be stated when we get on the cruise.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

We are also taking the train from Seward to Anchorage. Our flight doesn't leave Anchorage until about 8:00 p.m.

RCCL agent couldn't tell me what time the train left - this would be stated when we get on the cruise.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

It leaves early morning. About 7am

:eek: Holy Mackrel!! We will have to up and out quickly. We are used to cruising the Caribbean - lazy mornings, leisurely breakfasts, etc. Have to be on my game for this!!!

Millenium -2002

Century - 2003

Navigator of the Seas - 2004

Constellation - 2005

Millenium - 2006

Constellation - 2007

New Baby Twins 908

Liberty of the Seas - 2009.

As an Alaskan who has taken the train a few times between Seward and Anchorage and also driven it many times as well. I recommend the Train as you will see areas that are a bit more isolated then on the bus. You will also have more freedom of movement on the train and to be honest you will have a much better and breathtaking view of a small part of Alaska by Train.

I recommend the train over the bus also the train dosent have to worry about the summer traffic.

Alaska only has one main Highway in and out of Seward and the Kenai Penninusula in and out of Anchorage so all the traffic has to use one highway to get to all of the Kenai Penninsual which is where Seward is located.

So the train is not only more convienent but you will see lots of animals along the way,

Adri :)

As an Alaskan I can attest having traveled all over my state that this indeed is one of the preetiest and most senic areas of Alaska and lots of animals live in that area and few people.

As an Alaskan I can attest having traveled all over my state that this indeed is one of the preetiest and most senic areas of Alaska and lots of animals live in that area and few people.

I agree. By far, the Anchorage/Seward segment of the Alaska RR is the most scenic. I find the Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks, way too many trees and more trees. :) And McKinley is seldom viewable.

Archived