Dressing for dinner on Silver Spirit Med Cruise

mbw220

Nowadays with airline luggage restrictions it is getting very difficult for people who arrive from faraway places to carry with them lots of formalwear.

I think people should be allowed to make their own choices and we should not worry so much about having an entire dining room looking like a bunch of clones.

For example, if you go to any restaurant in New York City or London before or after the theatre you will find a wide variety of dressing habits -- there will be some tables with suits and ties and evening dresses, other tables with people wearing slacks and sweaters with ladies in pantsuits and even other tables with people wearing those dreaded jeans.

At the end of the day, everybody mixes in just fine and has a good time.

As long as people around you are clean and showered, why should we care what they are wearing? Is your conversation with your tablemate going to suffer that much because you are dressed up and they are less dressed up? Are we really that shallow as human beings?

If you are sitting at a table for two with your loved one, won't you have better things to talk about during your vacation than the fact that the people at the next table are not as dressed up as you are?

I, personally, bring one dark suit on a 7-day cruise with different shirts and ties. If the suit gets tired looking during the cruise, I even send it to be dry-cleaned. Am I less worthy to talk to during dinner because of this?

All of this makes me wonder how superficial we all are as human beings.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I, personally, bring one dark suit on a 7-day cruise with different shirts and ties. If the suit gets tired looking during the cruise, I even send it to be dry-cleaned.

So,you are conforming to the dress code by wearing a dark suit on formal nights.That makes you no different from most of the guests on a Silversea cruise.

But I don't bring a tuxedo -- does that make me less worthy?

And I wear the same suit. Will people talk about me?

On one occasion I just didn't feel like putting on a tie. And yes, it was formal night. I wore my suit and a nice dress shirt -- left the collar open and just didn't put on the tie.

I did get one or two looks from the 70-year old and 80-year old spinster and widow contingency. Nobody else seemed to care or notice.

Am I less worthy because I didn't want to wear my tie and therefore broke the dress code?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

On one occasion I just didn't feel like putting on a tie. And yes, it was formal night. I wore my suit and a nice dress shirt -- left the collar open and just didn't put on the tie.

I did get one or two looks from the 70-year old and 80-year old spinster and widow contingency. Nobody else seemed to care or notice.

Am I less worthy because I didn't want to wear my tie and therefore broke the dress code?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

You're equal to any of the other guests,minus a tie.;)

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Don't try that on the Europa,which is a German orientated ship.You would be asked to go away and come back dressed properly.This ofcourse has no bearing on your worthiness it is just a dress code.

It is one of my favourite ships.

I think people should be allowed to make their own choices and we should not worry so much about having an entire dining room looking like a bunch of clones.

You might think that, but that's often not how it works.

I remember one SS cruise, when a group boarded in San Juan, having purchased tickets as journalists at a discount (turns out, they were all affiliated with a travel agency and were not necessarily journalists). One gentleman appeared in the Dining Room wearing a t-shirt painted as a tuxedo. He was turned away, but you should have heard the commotion of him protesting. Most SS cruisers don't prefer a free for all as it comes to dress. If you do, fine; just don't choose SS.

For example, if you go to any restaurant in New York City or London before or after the theatre you will find a wide variety of dressing habits -- there will be some tables with suits and ties and evening dresses, other tables with people wearing slacks and sweaters with ladies in pantsuits and even other tables with people wearing those dreaded jeans.

At some NY restaurants, a jacket is mandatory. I made the mistake of going for a drink to Per Se without a jacket. The restaurant had one for me to wear; otherwise, I would have been turned away.

Archived