Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway

seitseman

I am a bit confused. We're taking our first Alaskan Cruise (first cruise at all) in May of 2005. One of our ports, of couse, is Skagway. We have chosen to do the Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railroad booking the excursion through Princess. Their description follows below. To me, it sounds like we take the bus to Carcross and then catch the train after lunch in Carcross to come back to Skagway. But I've been reading many posts that after lunch the bus goes back someways to meet the train else where. We've called Princess and the representative was very quick to agree that we catch the train in Carcross. Upon checking the www.wpyr.com, we cannot find a train that picks up in Carcross. Can anyone give me any feedback? Thanks SO MUCH :-)

A fetching combination of Experience the Yukon and White Pass Scenic Railway, this tour allows you to experience the beauty of the legendary White Pass Trail of ’98 from different perspectives.

Your adventure begins aboard a deluxe motorcoach that takes you along the Trail of ’98 to the White Pass summit and beyond to Canada’s Yukon. After cresting the White Pass summit, travel through

Tormented Valley and visit the village of Carcross near Lake Bennett.

Enjoy a tasty barbecued lunch at Caribou Crossing Trading Post. Visit the WildlifeGallery and see interesting exhibits of wildlife native to the region before departing for a ride aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route railroad back to Skagway.

SPECIAL NOTES

Since this tour enters Canada, U.S. and Canadian citizens must carry a passport or birth certificate with photo ID. Guests of other nationalities must bring their passport. Vegetarian lunch available. Please notify Tour Office onboard at least 24 hours prior to tour.

I am a bit confused. We're taking our first Alaskan Cruise (first cruise at all) in May of 2005. One of our ports, of couse, is Skagway. We have chosen to do the Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railroad booking the excursion through Princess. Their description follows below. To me, it sounds like we take the bus to Carcross and then catch the train after lunch in Carcross to come back to Skagway. But I've been reading many posts that after lunch the bus goes back someways to meet the train else where. We've called Princess and the representative was very quick to agree that we catch the train in Carcross. Upon checking the www.wpyr.com, we cannot find a train that picks up in Carcross. Can anyone give me any feedback? Thanks SO MUCH :-)

A fetching combination of Experience the Yukon and White Pass Scenic Railway, this tour allows you to experience the beauty of the legendary White Pass Trail of ’98 from different perspectives.

Your adventure begins aboard a deluxe motorcoach that takes you along the Trail of ’98 to the White Pass summit and beyond to Canada’s Yukon. After cresting the White Pass summit, travel through

Tormented Valley and visit the village of Carcross near Lake Bennett.

Enjoy a tasty barbecued lunch at Caribou Crossing Trading Post. Visit the WildlifeGallery and see interesting exhibits of wildlife native to the region before departing for a ride aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route railroad back to Skagway.

SPECIAL NOTES

Since this tour enters Canada, U.S. and Canadian citizens must carry a passport or birth certificate with photo ID. Guests of other nationalities must bring their passport. Vegetarian lunch available. Please notify Tour Office onboard at least 24 hours prior to tour.

Hi!

We took this tour with Celebrity in August '03. As I remember, we took the train from Skagway to Frasier and then boarded the coach for the trip to Carcross. The balance of the Yukon itinerary matches the description given. We then reboarded the train and returned to Skagway.

Have a great cruise. Skagway is a neat little town. Hopefully you will have some time just to stroll (the historic area is very compact).

Deb, I'm not a big fan of that excursion. While unique and varied, you get a "lesser" version of each experience - it's not as good as a pure glacier helicopter flight, not the best hiking route in Skagway, and you miss the best part of the train ride (from Tunnel Mtn to the Summit). For my money, I'd rather get the best of one of two of those experiences.

Murray

Murray,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have changed it so that we are now going on the Glacier Helicopter tour and the White Pass RR tour. I will do some research to see if we can get those off the ship instead of paying the expensive tours through the ship. I am going to keep it a secret about the helicopter tour so that I can surprise my husband.

Now the only port I need to research is Sitka. I have been doing all of the planning for this trip so I am going to let the DH plan that one. There aren't very many options for tours in Sitka.

Thank you again.

Deb

Murray,

How ironic that you should post the link. I was looking at that tour as an option. I put up a thread to ask for suggestions on what tours to take in Sitka. I posted that I was interested in the Hike/Bike tour and the Sea Life Discovery tour.

BTW For the record, I am pretty adventurous person. Not many females have been in the military or were part of the local volunteer fire dept. :eek:

Deb

Archived