Baby Formula...powder or ready to feed?

klarocco

I haven't needed formula on a cruise, but I have traveled a lot with infants. I always bring the powder and mix it with bottled water. As you pointed out, this cuts down on the weight/bulk enormously. That way it's easier to pack extra "just in case".

Also, that way, when out and about, I wouldn't have to worry about refrigeration: just mix it as you need it and it's always fresh.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth!

On our cruise last week we spent a bit of time chatting with a family that was on board with their 4 month old twins. They said that they flew in to the port a day early. Then on the way to the port they had their cab stop at a grocery store where they bought a case (or was that cases?) of the ready to use formula. They also bought a couple of jumbo packs of diapers. Then they had everything delivered to the cabin just like luggage.

We sailed out of San Juan in December with our 7 month old, we packed the formula and diapers in a small suitcase, we brought 2 25.7 oz cans. On the ship we used the water from the lido dinning room. In port we filled the bottles before we left the ship in the lido. We used bottled water in port when necessary.

My 10 month old was still on formula when we cruised last March.

I brought powder and mixed as I went.

Some tips:

I saved my "little" sample can for the plane trip or if I was stranded. My sample can was one of those that you get from your OB. It was a great size and gave me the xtra assurance in case I got stranded. It traveled well in my backpack. In my suitcase I brought the large can from Costco.

I also purchased the little tubes of dry formula. They travel well and make a 4 oz bottle. Great for trips to the beach, etc.

Don't forget - bottle brushes and a small container of dish soap.

Have a great trip!

Archived