Have you ever gotten Sea lice(rash under suit) from snorkeling?

luv2gonow

I wanted to report that we wore the repellant while snorkeling Belize and did not encounter any Sea Lice to our knowledge. We can't confirm whether it worked or not but we had a few extra $$ to spend on what seemed to be a remedy for the biting guys.

Oh my. I have never heard of this before. Here is a section from the link posted earlier explaining "sea lice"

Sea lice are not lice at all, however. They are the microscopic larvae of the thimble jellyfish (Linuche unguiculata). Around the size of speck of pepper, sea lice float freely through the warm seas during the late spring and early summer months. Areas of bare skin normally escape unscathed, but if they go through your bathing suit the fabric acts as a net and their venom can be triggered leaving large red welts and blisters - and often in the most sensitive of areas!

If you see pepper flakes RUN!!!

Edit to add: Don't forget to add "Safe Sea" to the senstitive areas. :eek:

So if you swim naked you will be fine. Problem solved. :eek:

And I'll be honest with you, I'd rather deal with these things than those bloody greenhead flies we get in Jersey. I hate those things with an undying malevolence.

AMEN TO THAT! I live in Florida now, but grew up at the Southern New Jersey Shore. I'll take mosquitos, gnats, sand fleas.....anything over "greenheads"! Many people who have never lived in areas with salt marshland have never heard of "greenheads". When I first moved to Florida no one knew what I was talking about.

I grew up and still live in Boca raton ( hi Firefly former neighbor). Sea Lice is relatively a new problem. I never had it the whole time growing up and we were always at the beach then bam one summer when i was 13 (22 years ago) It became a problem oddly enough the first time you get it is the worst. The more you get it the less it itches and smaller the marks. here in Boca I haven' had it in at least 5 years. Very odd now that i think about it cause I kiteboard and scuba dive...Very interesting reading all this..Back then they had no clue what it was...had to leave school due to a fever and extreme itching...

I've never known bug spray to help ...

And I'll be honest with you, I'd rather deal with these things than those bloody greenhead flies we get in Jersey. I hate those things with an undying malevolence.

Agreed. You must be from South Jersey. Or those blasted black flies that would visit if the wind was right. I'm a beach bum, but they would run you off. Don't dare go in the ocean--they love salt water on your skin. I was born & raised on Absecon Island. Only a Jersey-ite would comprehend.:eek:

Archived