Glory review - 3/28 to 4/4

PattiPB

I just submitted my long Glory review from last week. Can't believe I got it done so quickly, but I've gained so much from these boards, I wanted to give something back!!!

Once it's posted, if there are any questions I can answer, please ask! We had balcony staterooms and traveled to the Eastern Caribbean with a group of 10 people varying in age from 11 to 80!

To sum it up in one sentence: It was one heck of a fabulous week on the Glory!!!!

I'll try to answer any question, but just so you know: I'm a very positive person, and find very little to complain about in my normal life, so on vacation, I complain even less...

where was your stateroom?

8266/8268/8270 8D balcony.

A bit too close to the main elevator bank (atrium). We could hear the elevator "ding" all night long. I was in 8270 and it didn't keep me up, but my sister in 8266 said it was a bit annoying---especially when large groups were waiting for elevators.

8266/8268/8270 8D balcony.

A bit too close to the main elevator bank (atrium). We could hear the elevator "ding" all night long. I was in 8270 and it didn't keep me up, but my sister in 8266 said it was a bit annoying---especially when large groups were waiting for elevators.

We're in 6259 so I hope this isn't a problem for us. But we're young and usually stay up until 1 am or so, so I doubt it'll be too big of an annoyance.

how was the laser light show? Cmon patti dont tease us.

Welll......we had a full moon the night we were in St. Thomas, and the shuttle took off the day after we docked in Miami.....

Otherwise the only laser lights were my kids playing with the camera flash!! LOL!!!

Was the Lido aft area adults only?

Son of a biscuit!!! How could I forget to mention Serenity!!! It was beautiful up there, and believe it or not, we were able to get a couple of lounge chairs mid-afternoon the first sea day, and moved up to one of those clam-shelled couch things within an hour. So, no over the top chair hogging that we saw.

Serenity was...well...serene!! Very nice area, well maintained, didn't see kids there when I was there.

I'll be on the Glory in October! Any pics of the ship you want to share I'd love to see! It'll be my first cruise ever and I just can't get enough pics of the ship. :)

Glad to hear you had a good time. How was the food?

I'll be on the Glory in October! Any pics of the ship you want to share I'd love to see! It'll be my first cruise ever and I just can't get enough pics of the ship. :)

Glad to hear you had a good time. How was the food?

Haven't gotten near the bottom of the luggage yet, but once I've got the pictures loaded, I'll post a few.

Food was absolutely fabulous. 10 different people picked 10 different favorites! Lobster was great (order 2), spare ribs, quesadillas, escargot (all 3 of my kids eat it :rolleyes:), sweet/sour shrimp, soups every night were great, we cleaned them out of warm choc melting cake. I could go on and on. Don't miss high tea on the sea days---we really enjoyed that.

Patti,

Thanks for posting your review, sounds like your had a great time. We are sailing on the Glory this weekend. We stop in HMC instead of Nassau.

What is the Free Shuttle you mentioned in San Juan? We are looking to explore on our own.

Thanks

Mike

We are cruising on Glory in May and it will be our first cruise. Thrilled that you had a great experience. Any helpful hints would be wonderful. Just a few questions.

Is there a magnifying mirror in the cabins? Did you find the hair dryer sufficient? Was the iron and ironing board available on your deck or was it in demand?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Can't wait to see the pics! Thanks for sharing.

Patti,

Thanks for posting your review, sounds like your had a great time. We are sailing on the Glory this weekend. We stop in HMC instead of Nassau.

What is the Free Shuttle you mentioned in San Juan? We are looking to explore on our own.Thanks Mike

I'm jealous of you!!! I'm already scheming a way to get on another cruise...We did HMC on another cruise---loved it there, too. My all-time favorite place was Disney's Castaway Cay.

In San Juan they have an extensive free trolley (open air bus) system. It can take you all over the place---someone will be giving out free trolley maps when you dock. We walked to San Cristobal (easy 10 minutes in the cooler AM), trolley to El Morro, then trolley from El Morro back to the dock. Free is...well free. You may wait a fair while, or it may be waiting for you when you walk about of El Morro (that will NEVER happen to us again---we was exhausted, hot and soooo lucky!) Outside San Cristobal is a ice cream cart---have some while you wait, it was lovely!

$5 per person over 16 covers both forts. Enjoy!

We are cruising on Glory in May and it will be our first cruise. Thrilled that you had a great experience. Any helpful hints would be wonderful. Just a few questions.

Is there a magnifying mirror in the cabins? Did you find the hair dryer sufficient? Was the iron and ironing board available on your deck or was it in demand?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Can't wait to see the pics! Thanks for sharing.

Lucky to have a cruise coming up! I'm coundownless right now (if that is a word---it's a feeling, though, let me tell you!!!)

Magnifying mirror: yes

Hair dryer: in the drawer below the mirror in the cabin (not bathroom) was sufficient.

Iron/board: didn't look for one, sorry.

Ask your questions! I'm so happy to have the info to share.

Patti,

I see you have been on the Mariner... How does the Glory compare? I loved the Mariner, will I be disappointed? I know they are different, but would love your perspective! When did you sail the Mariner? (Your signature says 2000 but her maiden voyage was 2003)

The review is fantastic. I have a question about how the shows work. We are booked for late dinner and are traveling with our children. Last year we were on another line and it was set up so you could go to the 7:00 show and then right to dinner. Is this how Carnival does it? We really enjoyed seeing the shows with our children and would love to do it again this year.

Patti,

I see you have been on the Mariner... How does the Glory compare? I loved the Mariner, will I be disappointed? I know they are different, but would love your perspective! When did you sail the Mariner? (Your signature says 2000 but her maiden voyage was 2003)

I'm so glad you caught that!!! I was on the MONARCH in 2000 for my 10th anniversary. I'll have to change my siggie---can't believe I never realize the mistake.

As for disappointed---I've never been disappointed on any ship. The Glory was in fabulous shape physically, and the food and service were absolutely great. Frankly, after Disney, I thought I was just done being impressed, but the Glory blew me away. And it was the ship, not the ports---because we've done them before.

The review is fantastic. I have a question about how the shows work. We are booked for late dinner and are traveling with our children. Last year we were on another line and it was set up so you could go to the 7:00 show and then right to dinner. Is this how Carnival does it? We really enjoyed seeing the shows with our children and would love to do it again this year.

Thanks for the positive comment on the review---I loved reading them, so I was committed to providing the information I was seeking as fast as I could. I left some things out, but I really wanted to get it done.

We do early seating for dinner (6-7:30), and the shows started an hour later (8:30). At least two nights, there was just one show---10:30 pm. The other nights it varied---one night it was before dinner, but I remember noticing it was very late another night. I'll double-check at home when I look at the "Fun Times" [i still call them Capers! :rolleyes:] Don't miss the family comedy, either (7:30 and 8:30 pm 4 nights)---my kids really loved it! They had family karaoke several nights, too, that was low-key and very child-friendly.

Patty... Do you know if the pools and hot tub on the Lido deck aft where adult only? They are around the pizza place, but I have read they are adult only.

The adult only area (Serenity) is at the opposite end of the ship from the pizza place. Serenity did have hot tubs, but the pool/hot tubs near the pizza place were open to all guests.

The adult only area (Serenity) is at the opposite end of the ship from the pizza place. Serenity did have hot tubs, but the pool/hot tubs near the pizza place were open to all guests.

The pool/hot tubs on aft Lido deck are SUPPOSED to be adult only.

I just submitted my long Glory review from last week. Can't believe I got it done so quickly, but I've gained so much from these boards, I wanted to give something back!!!

Perhaps you can post it here in this thread.

maybe a link ?

Here is the link to the review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=65361

Patti,

Thanks for your review. I am getting married on the Glory on 4/25/10, we have the Eastern Caribbean itinerary too. Could you tell me which nights were the elegant nights? Thanks.

Monday and Friday night were elegant nights. Congrats on your exciting plans! You are going to have a wonderful time---visit Serenity and grab one of the clamshell couches!!! They were veeeerrrrryyyy romantic, and I've been married 20 years!!!

Archived