I need advice for planning a group cruise!

Hi, Everyone!

We're in the earliest stages of planning a business group cruise -- thinking about the Freedom -- January 9th, 2011 sailing.

I'm wondering if there's any advantages/disadvantages with booking a group cruise directly through Carnival?

Thanks so much for your input!

CalmCruiser

Personally I would book thru a TA and they can put up with all the headaches that go along with it......getting peoples deposits, final payments, documents etc.......

And you will get free berths (minus port and taxes) for booking a number of cabins........

I have done a couple of these with 40 or so people and a TA is worth their weight in gold when in comes to group bookings......

Personally I would book thru a TA and they can put up with all the headaches that go along with it......getting peoples deposits, final payments, documents etc.......

And you will get free berths (minus port and taxes) for booking a number of cabins........

I have done a couple of these with 40 or so people and a TA is worth their weight in gold when in comes to group bookings......

Thanks so much Kurbanfan! We hadn't even thought about the logistics you just laid out -- we were just thinking about the rates/special deals.

CalmCruiserNC

If I were going to organize a group cruise, I would use either this boards TA or Carnival's services. My approach would be to call each one of them and ask questions about any perks, special deals and such. The group I am traveling with used a TA out of FL that one of the group personally knew and everything has gone well. I have read on here some horror stories from other posters on their dealings with various TAs. The deals and perks are not going to vary all that much from what I can tell, the difference will be in how well you are represented and how hard they will work for you. Good Luck andI hope everything goes smooth for you.

I went with Carnival myself. I had family and friends who wanted to go so I called Carnival and you need 8 rooms to book a group. We get points and with those points we get on board credit, upgrades and a travel bag. you can choose how you use your points. Every 8 rooms booked ( balcony rooms) we get $900.00 back. I am applying that $900.00 to every ones room. You can get a free room, but I choose to share the wealth per say.

You do get a discount on the rooms, ours was about $50.00 cheaper.

I am having everyone who is going to call Carnival and do there deposit. So it is working out real good.

Sometimes the early saver rate is a LOT cheaper then a group rate-

With group rate you get amenities based on your sailing--maybe cabin credit-- maybe a one hour coctail party (which you can buy into instead at 12. bucks a head)

Ask the agent what is the cancellation fee if any one cancels. Could be 50 bucks or so.

How about making changes-- some will for a fee some will do it for free.

what happens if the price drops-- youcould lose amenities if taking the new price drop.

If I were going to organize a group cruise, I would use either this boards TA or Carnival's services. My approach would be to call each one of them and ask questions about any perks, special deals and such. The group I am traveling with used a TA out of FL that one of the group personally knew and everything has gone well. I have read on here some horror stories from other posters on their dealings with various TAs. The deals and perks are not going to vary all that much from what I can tell, the difference will be in how well you are represented and how hard they will work for you. Good Luck andI hope everything goes smooth for you.

I organized 2 group cruises with our TA out of Calif. and did not have lick of trouble.....so for every horror story there is an awesome story........but normally people don't post about the good....mostly the bad....

Archived