How do you budget money for food on ports of call?

nvrdunn

I was just wondering how you budget amount of money for eating off the ship? We are a family of 4 (2 adults, one child, and one infant). We have figured out excursions and cost there, but kind of at a loss for figuring cost for food off ship.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. (and I know we could save money to go back to the ship for food but I would like to budget as if we were not going back!)

I was just wondering how you budget amount of money for eating off the ship? We are a family of 4 (2 adults, one child, and one infant). We have figured out excursions and cost there, but kind of at a loss for figuring cost for food off ship.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. (and I know we could save money to go back to the ship for food but I would like to budget as if we were not going back!)

I think we would need more information about the itinerary you're sailing -- Monaco is going to be pricier than Cozumel for sure. But what I can say is that in all of the ports on all of our cruises, we had restaurants at every price level to choose from -- so I'd say just budget what you think it would cost for you to go out to a restaurant at home and you'll be just fine.

CalmCruiserNC

I'd say we spend a little more than we would out for the two of us at home, but not much more, so I'd say that would be a good way to guesstimate. Our favorite Mexican restaurant in town is about $25 with tip, but in Cozumel, we spend more like $35. We didn't eat in Grand Cayman, but we heard it was more expensive. On Roatan, we were at Fins N Flippers and we spent maybe $25 for lunch, and I had a beer. Now that I think of it, we didn't eat in Belize either.

With 2 adults and one child (assuming the infant is on milk or baby food or eats a little off the adult plates if older) I would plan on $50 per port. That should be plenty. Check out a few of the serving sizes you see coming out some places have big enough servings you could easily share and be satisfied.

I'd say we spend a little more than we would out for the two of us at home, but not much more, so I'd say that would be a good way to guesstimate. Our favorite Mexican restaurant in town is about $25 with tip, but in Cozumel, we spend more like $35. We didn't eat in Grand Cayman, but we heard it was more expensive. On Roatan, we were at Fins N Flippers and we spent maybe $25 for lunch, and I had a beer. Now that I think of it, we didn't eat in Belize either.

My favorite can come under $5 with no alcohol... but they don't offer what I'll get in Mexico...

Maybe for budgeting, take what you know & add 20%??

With 2 adults and one child (assuming the infant is on milk or baby food or eats a little off the adult plates if older) I would plan on $50 per port. That should be plenty. Check out a few of the serving sizes you see coming out some places have big enough servings you could easily share and be satisfied.

I agree, $50 should be gracious plenty, and the servings can be huge.

Missed the Caymans, but they do think highly ($$) of everything from everything I've read & heard.

Bonjour from France !

Just saw all your entries and wanted to give you some GOOD NEWS :

Been traveling a lot up and down the coast just recently (Easter vacation and more...) and found it very easy to get a decent meal for an acceptable rate.

So, whoever is traveling to French ports along the Med, you will find set luncheons for anything starting from € 14 for 2 courses. Medium range for meals is around € 20, but even in top notch restaurants, lunch menues are rather affordable.

Why not try a Michelin-starred restaurant for lunch ... a different experience at a good price, e.g. "Yoshi" in Monaco starts from € 29, or David Faure's "Aphrodite" in Nice with lunch menus of € 25. Reservation advised (poss. via internet).

Wines start at approx € 5 a glass; sometimes it is better to get a bottle (starting at € 20) or the open wine of the house.

One more advise: Just step away from the port restaurants (except in Villefranche - they are all good, but you pay for the sea/ship view).

In Nice it is the Old Town, as it is in Monaco - or the beach area -, in Cannes it is the Rue de France or the Le Suquet, in St Tropez try the Place des Lices and beyond.

In Marseille, there are nice restaurants along the "Corniche President Kennedy" (take a bus or expect a longer walk along the coast from the Old Port), but we opted for a pricier luncheon at the roof restaurant of the Sofitel for the view.

While traveling with kids, international dishes might be an alternative for the not-so-adventureous. In France, it is "steak frites" (beef and french fries) which is the typical "fast-food" and spaghettis in a hundred varieties are to be found in any port.

Always fun for kids and adults is a picknick with French specialities, such as fresh baguette, olives, fresh fruit from the markets (there are always markets close to the ports), some goat cheese or ham ... and sweets (jellied fruits, nougats, homemade chocolates, the most colorful cakes and tartelets)!

The French also love their roasted poultry and there are a lot of butcheries, selling the freshly grilled chicken like street side vendors. It smells always "yummy, yummy" while walking in Nice's Old Town during lunch time :-).

Wishing all of you BON APPETIT in France !

When we pulled into port in Cozumel a few years ago the first thing my kids saw was the golden arches of McD. We also take snacks in plastic baggies with us and that cuts some of the cost. You will find plenty of good places to eat for not too much more than you'll pay at home.

How many € is a Royale with cheese? :confused:

LOL! I also wonder how much a breifcase with a shiney light inside would cost...:D

Just as a point of reference...when in George Town on Grand Caymen Island my DW and I had a burger, fries and a daquari at Jimmy's Buffets restaurant neat the pier and it cost over $80 USD...remember the USD is worth less than a Grand Caymen dollar.:eek:

LOL! I also wonder how much a breifcase with a shiney light inside would cost...:D

Just as a point of reference...when in George Town on Grand Caymen Island my DW and I had a burger, fries and a daquari at Jimmy's Buffets restaurant neat the pier and it cost over $80 USD...remember the USD is worth less than a Grand Caymen dollar.:eek:

Wow!!! $80 USD?!?! :eek: :eek:

I can't imagine how much it would be for my family of 4 then!

Question: I have read tips that we should bring snacks off the ship with us inside a ziplock bag. Such as fruit, muffins, etc...

But then I read somewhere that the ships don't allow food off the ships.

Does anyone know what which one is correct?

I don't plan on bringing an entire meal in my backpack - but I would like to bring some capri suns and snacks for us as we will be on an excursion all day.

This makes me curious

Do they have Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville in Grand Cayman?

I have been to several, most are nice for a visit, but

sorry phriends..over priced and over rated

Since we have paid for lunch on the ship we will usually have a big breakfast and wait for our return before eating lunch.

Part of this is DW has many food allergies and it is best for us to do this. Not to mention do not trust many restaurants at ports of call for their sanitation practices.

Question: I have read tips that we should bring snacks off the ship with us inside a ziplock bag. Such as fruit, muffins, etc...

I don't plan on bringing an entire meal in my backpack - but I would like to bring some capri suns and snacks for us as we will be on an excursion all day.

Do not bring any fruit off the ship. You can bring prepacked items. We usually bring some granola bars, capri sun would be fine. Packages of chips etc that are sealed will be fine too.

It really depends on the itinerary you are on. For instance, much of the time we will get up, have breakfast, go for an excursion, come back for lunch on the ship, and then go back out to shop/sightsee. This works well in ports like Coz or St. Thomas where you are docked very close to the action. Obviously at a tender port this would not be an option. We also try to stay away from the 'Margaritaville' type places, they are vastly overpriced and give you no real local flavor. Try to find where the crew goes to eat in port, a local spot will give you a better memory, better food, and a cheaper meal.

You also might want to check the ports of call boards. There you can get information on places to eat and how much they cost. That way you can have a few choices going into port depending on your schedule. I found a place in Nassau that I did not know about before. Also Grand Cayman is very expensive.

I usually just intentionally OVER budget. I normally figure about $75-$100 per port for my own family of 4, which includes a few souvenirs, drinks at the beach and some snacks or lunch. Any $$ leftover when we get back from our trip rolls over into our next vacation fund goal. :D The only exception would be Grand Cayman, where prices on everything are jacked up and it literally cost us $65 for lunch last time (at a boring beach restaurant...for 2 hot dogs, 2 drinks, 2 sodas and 2 sandwiches).

Wow!!! $80 USD?!?! :eek: :eek:

I can't imagine how much it would be for my family of 4 then!

Food is NOT allowed off the ship unless it is pre-packaged

Archived