Nautica 8/5/2010: Rome Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia and then ship boarding.

raleighschwinn

We are booked on the Nautica Yacht Havens cruise departing out of Civitavecchia on Thursday, August 5. We have an overnight flight from Philadelphia that arrives in Rome Fiumicino Airport at 8:45 AM on Thursday morning. We thought we would be able to leave the airport around 10:00 AM and then take the train to Torino and switch to Civitaveccia. Assuming we get there around Noon, does anyone have any suggestions about what would we be able to do between then and embarking for our cruise? Could we check our bags and explore on our own? Can we board the ship early.

This is our first Oceania Cruise.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob-

Even if you are flying business class, it is unlikely that you will be out of the airport before 11 or 11:30. First you must collect your bags, then go through customs, and they don't worry about putting those functions near each other in the airport. It could be quite a walk.

That means that even if you get lucky and make wonderful connections on the train, you wont get to Civitavecchia until about 1 or 1:30.

You could just check your bags with the porter at the dock, but my guess is that you'll be tired enough, at that point, to want to get on the ship

Now, you dont say what type of cabin you booked, but the folks who are in Suites and Concierge level Cabins are technically entitled to early boarding.

Many times, Oceania does not enforce this in Europe, because they realize that most passengers are getting off of TransAtlantic flights, but you should know that they could ask you to wait if you are not suite or concierge.

If you do decide to drop the luggage and explore, keep in mind that you need to be back on the ship TWO FULL HOURS before sailing.

Thank you for the information. My real intent was to see if we can board earlier. My partner Don and I really would like to relax on the ship.

Bob

Chances are you won't get to the ship before 1:30-200 so you will probably be able to walk right on. The only time we have ever seen non-suite cruisers being held up in the boarding process was in Venice when they allowed suite passengers very early boarding about 10:00 am. Enjoy your cruise.:)

• 1 month later...

Bob - we are on the cruise and booked it (first time with this line and ship) because it goes to so many of our favorite ports. Bonafacio in Corsica and Porto Venere are both small, magical destinations. It's just a GREAT itinerary. As for arrival, etc. The train from Fumicino to Termini (main train station in Rome) runs about every 30 minutes and takes about 30 minutes. Cheap, quick, and easy. The train from Termini to Civitaveccia runs about every hour, takes about 45-60 minutes and is also very inexpensive (less than 8 Euros last time I took it). We are in Rome for a few days before the cruise but will probaby take the train to the port. The Civitaveccia train station is close to where the ships dock but if it is hot (which it is certain to be) share a cab or van from the train to the ship. Well worth it. Should be only a few Euros if shared. Last time on the train we looked for luggage with our ship's tags and then just asked if they wanted to share the cab. If you have time in Rome between trains, you can check you bags for a few hours or days at the bag check at Termini which is below where the trains come in. There can be a line so be prepared to wait for 30-45 minutes possibly. There are a few things to see in Rome that are VERY CLOSE to Termini that are more fun without your luggage. There is basically nothing to see in Civitaveccia. Hope this helps a bit. Trevor

I'm also on this cruise, had cruised on Oceania before, and if I remember correctly, we were able to get on ship rather early. I plan to get to ship by 2:00PM, after 3 day stay in Rome.

By the way, there is a Roll Call Thread for this Cruise, we should consolidate everyone on that THREAD,

Just go to Roll Call, Oceania, Nautica, and then go to this date.

• 3 months later...

Trevor,

Sorry to post this way but I lost your business card on the trip back to the states on Sunday. As a result I had no way to contact you guys outside of posting on cruise critic.

When you get a chance, please email my aol account with all 4 of your email addresses as Don and I want to stay in contact with you.

Great meeting you all on the cruise.

Bob and Don

Archived