Just back from Explorer Mar. 19-28th

We had a wonderful time on the Explorer- our 3rd time and still great. No complaints at all - got picked to have dinner with Captain which was very exciting. If anyone has any questions, just fire away. The only thing I feel needs to be mentioned is we always got to port at around 10:30 -11:00 and walked right on in to waiting area. This time we decided to go a little later as you don't board until 11:30-12:00 anyway. We arrived there at 12:30 and the lines were unbelievably long just to enter from parking area. I will def. arrive there at 10:30-11:00 next time and I will definitely sail on the Explorer again. So convenient just driving up (from CT) with no plane, etc. Just great!!!

We had a wonderful time on the Explorer- our 3rd time and still great. No complaints at all - got picked to have dinner with Captain which was very exciting. If anyone has any questions, just fire away. The only thing I feel needs to be mentioned is we always got to port at around 10:30 -11:00 and walked right on in to waiting area. This time we decided to go a little later as you don't board until 11:30-12:00 anyway. We arrived there at 12:30 and the lines were unbelievably long just to enter from parking area. I will def. arrive there at 10:30-11:00 next time and I will definitely sail on the Explorer again. So convenient just driving up (from CT) with no plane, etc. Just great!!!

how the ship looks now after drydock and who was your cruise director

Dave Chapman was the cruise director and he is great - we had him on 6 or 7 cruises and he is still amazing and funny. The ship didn't change much in dry dock. We were told they painted in the Windjammer and most of the other work was on the outside of the ship. It is showing wear, such as on the decks - the rails need painting - but this was nothing that would change our love for this great ship. They clean, clean, clean all the time - in the halls - everywhere - there is someone cleaning - I was happy to see them cleaning the elevator buttons every day! They have Purell pumps in many places, especially at entry to dining areas.

Yes, they usually always open the rooms at 1:30 - but when we get there at 10:30 - 11:00 you walk right in from luggage drop off - also no line at check in - then you board the bus (only down the road but must go by bus) where they drop you off at door - usually on ship by 11:30 - 12:00. Then you can go to Windjammer for a relaxing lunch or the cafe in the promenade which has sandwiches and pizza and desserts (the cafe is open 24 hrs).

Just love Dave Chapman....got to go search to see if he is still on when we cruise May 15th!!!!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.....we love the explorer...and this trip my girlfriend is going with me while the hubby is on the tractor....my first time to Bermuda!!!

Just love Dave Chapman....got to go search to see if he is still on when we cruise May 15th!!!!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.....we love the explorer...and this trip my girlfriend is going with me while the hubby is on the tractor....my first time to Bermuda!!!

Cris.........So that you don't miss the ship, we sail on May 13th. LOL. ;):p

Cris.........So that you don't miss the ship, we sail on May 13th. LOL. ;):p

my wife and 12 others in her family will be sailing with you... I unfortunately will be staying home with my step daughter so she can go to the prom with her boyfriend....

How do you get picked to have dinner with the captain? Do they have any welcome aboard cocktail parties like carnival does? you know the ONLY time you get free alcohol on a cruise, lol

as I understand it, it's like a lottery to be picked to dine with the captain... the only free alcohol you get is during the Captain's reception which is the first formal night... champagne, mimosas, and I think some mixed drinks

How do you get picked to have dinner with the captain? Do they have any welcome aboard cocktail parties like carnival does? you know the ONLY time you get free alcohol on a cruise, lol

We were on the same cruise. We met someone at the Suite reception who had dinner with the Captain more than likely because there was a large rotary group on board and he was one of the club officers. We got a bridge tour and were hoping for captain's dinner but it didnt happen although we did get to talk to him at the reception.

We were shocked to get asked to have dinner with the captain. This is our 7th R.C. cruise and never was asked or even knew they had this. The manager of the dining rooms came up to our table the first night and invited us. There were 4 other couples chosen and one single man. It was all very formal - had to meet at one of the bars and the ambassador for the ship ordered us drinks of our choice. We then went into dining room and stood and waited for the Captain. It was very exciting - they had place cards with our names and I was right next to him. A little nervous at first, but he was so very nice and a regular guy. They kept pouring this GREAT wine - white or red - whatever we preferred. They took a formal picture of the group with the captain at the table and developed an 8x10 before dinner was over and gave one to each of us! Also received an autographed menu of our dinner. It was really very nice. We met up with the manager of the dining room the next day (as none of us invited knew how we were invited - one couple never even cruised RC). The manager told us he goes around the three levels of the dining room and choses who he wants. It is for the lst formal night - and occasionally he does it for 2nd formal night also. He was a very sweet guy who told me we looked like a nice couple!! So sweet.

Yes there is a welcome back for repeaters and a welcome back for platnium and above. At both of these they only had watered down rum punch and mimosas or beer. My husband wanted his scotch and they refused so he paid for it!!

That's really cool. We were up on the 5th deck of the MDR in the back corner so we never saw the Captain's table being occupied. We're going back on EOS in Dec 2011 so hope springs eternal, lol. We loved the ship although we missed the welcome back reception due to reservations in Portofino. I think EOS is the perfect size and having over 600 days til we're onboard again is torture;)

Archived