checking for lower prices on cruise booked for May 2011

jstamper

I know there is alot of information out there about this topic but I just cant seem to grasp how you go about checking for a price drop. I know you can check with Carnival or any other source but how/where do you put in specifics (room type, catagory, etc)? I'm new to this so please be patient and thanks for your help!!:confused:

I know there is alot of information out there about this topic but I just cant seem to grasp how you go about checking for a price drop. I know you can check with Carnival or any other source but how/where do you put in specifics (room type, catagory, etc)? I'm new to this so please be patient and thanks for your help!!:confused:

Just go to the website... and do a fake booking. Make sure you check for state residency discounts (your state may qualify for additional discount when least expecting it), past guest discounts, sr. fares, military rates.....

Hi Newburgh, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Trust an old Harrison High grad on this one...

Pricing is a game we all play sooner or later. The major cruise lines are setting their prices and travel agents, mainly internet TA's, are circumventing those prices by sweetening their offers with onboard credits and perks like excursions and dining in the specialty restaurants.

Then there are TA's who block book cabins and as the cruise prices fluctuate they can offer cabins that appear to be at a lower rate but actually are priced at the lowest rate available when the booking season opens.

Rates MAY change, either up or down, depending on how full the ships are. The more cabins the lower the price and vice versa.

I know it's all very confusing but monitoring your cruiseline web site and blind booking really is the easiest way to check rates. Be sure to check after final payment is due too. You might find a lower rate and can negotiate an on board credit that you can use for gratuities too or you might be offered an upgraded cabin.

You'll get the hang of it. It seems to me you are already three steps ahead.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Newburgh, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Trust an old Harrison High grad on this one...

Pricing is a game we all play sooner or later. The major cruise lines are setting their prices and travel agents, mainly internet TA's, are circumventing those prices by sweetening their offers with onboard credits and perks like excursions and dining in the specialty restaurants.

Then there are TA's who block book cabins and as the cruise prices fluctuate they can offer cabins that appear to be at a lower rate but actually are priced at the lowest rate available when the booking season opens.

Rates MAY change, either up or down, depending on how full the ships are. The more cabins the lower the price and vice versa.

I know it's all very confusing but monitoring your cruiseline web site and blind booking really is the easiest way to check rates. Be sure to check after final payment is due too. You might find a lower rate and can negotiate an on board credit that you can use for gratuities too or you might be offered an upgraded cabin.

You'll get the hang of it. It seems to me you are already three steps ahead.

Have a great cruise.

Take it from a TA of 16 years....You give sound advice but need to be providing more accurate info regarding CCL which they are sailing on. IF the OP books with CCL under the Early Saver rate program, the OBC/Upgrade can be had if rates are lowered AFTER FINAL PAYMENT DATE and up to 2 days before sailing date. If booking under the ES rates and they find rates lower BEFORE FINAL PAYMENT DATE, their final payment will be adjusted downward to the new lower fares but NO OBC. If the OP did not book under ES rates, and after final payment lower fares are found, they are not eligible for OBC, but possibly could snag an upgrade for the difference in rates they found. There are no negotiations in this at all. With CCL, TA's are able to offer lower fares by rebating some of their commission and giving it to the client via rate reductions on a stateroom, but cannot advertise these lower fares. If a TA has got "group space" that is available in their allotment, they will try to add more passengers to that group whenever possible to sell their staterooms held in advance, and often is a benefit to a future client simply because they can capture fares that are USUALLY lower than the current fares being offered and may include some perks for clients booked within that group.

Good luck to the OP in their cruise and WELCOME to Cruise Critic ! :D:cool:

Take it from a TA of 16 years....You give sound advice but need to be providing more accurate info regarding CCL which they are sailing on. IF the OP books with CCL under the Early Saver rate program, the OBC/Upgrade can be had if rates are lowered AFTER FINAL PAYMENT DATE and up to 2 days before sailing date. If booking under the ES rates and they find rates lower BEFORE FINAL PAYMENT DATE, their final payment will be adjusted downward to the new lower fares but NO OBC. If the OP did not book under ES rates, and after final payment lower fares are found, they are not eligible for OBC, but possibly could snag an upgrade for the difference in rates they found. There are no negotiations in this at all. With CCL, TA's are able to offer lower fares by rebating some of their commission and giving it to the client via rate reductions on a stateroom, but cannot advertise these lower fares. If a TA has got "group space" that is available in their allotment, they will try to add more passengers to that group whenever possible to sell their staterooms held in advance, and often is a benefit to a future client simply because they can capture fares that are USUALLY lower than the current fares being offered and may include some perks for clients booked within that group.

Good luck to the OP in their cruise and WELCOME to Cruise Critic ! :D:cool:

All very good advice. You seem to be one of the few TAs that actually seems to understand the ES program. The worst advice that I have generally heard on the the ES program has been from other so-called TAs.

All very good advice. You seem to be one of the few TAs that actually seems to understand the ES program. The worst advice that I have generally heard on the the ES program has been from other so-called TAs.

Thanks for the kind words and compliment.... I know there are some TA's out there that just don't get it sometimes ! LOL :D

Archived