Leaving Saturday - Help!

BobKat406

Heading to Bermuda this Saturday (will dock Monday and Tuesday). Based on everything I have been reading, have come up with a sudo-plan:

Day 1: Ferry to St. George in the morning (9-9:30). Check out Fort St. Catherine, Tobacco Bay Beach, Perfume Factory (is there still Wench dunking at noon?) Is it worth the trip to St. David's Lighthouse? Anything else we should see there other than taking a quick walk around the area?

Bus to Hamilton (which one)? Do they still have walking tours at 2:30 p.m. Go to Underwater Institute and maybe the aquarium. Is there anything else that is a "not miss" in Hamilton?

Then we'll head back to the Dockyard for dinner on the boat (is the Ferry the best way to go?)

We'll probably walk around the dockyard that evening after dinner (maybe check out the Frog and Onion)

Day 2: Southampton for Gibb's Lighthouse and Horsehoe Bay (which bus is the best)?

Back to Dockyard for Sea Glass at beach by royal naval cemetary, glass blowing and shopping.

Back on ship in time to depart.

Does this sound doable or "wishful thinking"?

Would love opinions and suggestions!

Thanks!!!:rolleyes:

Hello BobKat;

I lived/worked on BDA for a few years... it's a great vacation destination... Been back a few years now so my information may be a little out of date; but here goes...

Ferry to St. George is a MUST; it's a great ride. As far as I know wenches still get ducked; not sure of the times... If you're tight for time - skip the Perfume Factory & spend it discovering St. George. There's LOTS to see in this historic town...

As above - skip St. David's - too far out of the way if you're on limited time.

Bus (make sure you have plenty of change; they accept US coinage - but don't give change!) back to Hamilton from St. George - take the 10 or 11 - and stop-off at the Aquarium on the way. It's at 'Flatt's Village' also a picturesque spot... Then jump the first bus available for Hamilton. Cathedral, Parliament, Fort Hamilton (if you can make it) Front Street & Point Pleasant - all worth a visit.

Ferry back to Dockyard (ferry terminal is close to Point Pleasant) - take the slow ferry if you can time it right - you'll see a bit more of the inner islands - fast ferry goes straight across...

Frog & Onion - definitely worth a visit for a jar of grog! Historic building; lot's of 'character'..

Day 2 - Dockyard - Gibbs Hill Lighthouse - #7 bus... NOT #8!

Have fun & enjoy the trip... Next time - book longer!

Bobkat406 asked:

Day 1: Ferry to St. George in the morning (9-9:30). Check out Fort St. Catherine, Tobacco Bay Beach, Perfume Factory (is there still Wench dunking at noon?) Is it worth the trip to St. David's Lighthouse? Anything else we should see there other than taking a quick walk around the area?

Answer: The first Dockyard-SG ferry is at 9:15A; arriving at SG at 9:50A. If available, take the jitney to Tobacco Bay and walk to Fort St. Catherine. I would suggest visiting the Unfinished Church, Somers' Garden, Gates Fort and collect sea glass at Alexandra Battery; best done at low tide. The downside of collecting sea glass now is that you will be carrying around most of the day. I agree with the previous poster on not visiting St. David's Lighthouse. I think the Wench dunking is still done.

Bus to Hamilton (which one)? Do they still have walking tours at 2:30 p.m. Go to Underwater Institute and maybe the aquarium. Is there anything else that is a "not miss" in Hamilton?

Answer: Take a route #10 or #11 bus inbound to get to Hamilton. On the trip to Hamilton, you'll first come to BAMZ (aquarium). In Hamilton, board a #3 bus outbound for the short ride to the Underwater Institute. Not to miss: shopping, Fort Hamilton, climb the bell tower of the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity for the views. Can't help with the walking tour.

Then we'll head back to the Dockyard for dinner on the boat (is the Ferry the best way to go?)

Answer: Yes, ferry terminal is on Front St.

Day 2: Southampton for Gibb's Lighthouse and Horsehoe Bay (which bus is the best)?

Answer: From the Dockyard, board a route #7 bus inbound for HSB and Gibb's.

Back to Dockyard for Sea Glass at beach by royal naval cemetary, glass blowing and shopping.

Answer: on the way back to the Dockyard (outbound route #7 bus), you'll first come to the Royal Naval Cemetery. Glass blowing and shopping are at the Dockyard.

Does this sound doable or "wishful thinking"?

Answer: I think it is doable but slow down to enjoy Bermuda.

For your transportation, I would suggestion you buy a transportation pass which is good for both the bus and ferry. Passes are available for 1, 2, or 3 days and give you unlimited rides for the number of days purchased for. Also, bus stops are indicated by either pink or blue poles. Buses are either outbound from Hamilton or inbound to Hamilton. A pink pole stop would be for a bus inbound to Hamilton; a blue pole stop would be a stop for a bus outbound from Hamilton;

SBtS

We live in an area with lots of historic forts, so I admit, I skipped those and have no intention of seeing them this time, either!

St. George is wonderful. Check out the Fodor's walking tour info online to see all the sights there. Me, I'd skip a fort to explore the town and enjoy Somer's Garden. Last May they had the wench dunking at noon. Wear a hat and bring a bottle of water! It takes a while and you're standing around in the noon-day sun. Quirky and funny though. We enjoyed it!

Check the dockyard glass-blowing demonstration times before you get on the bus. It's just a short walk.

I wasn't all that jazzed about the Frog & Onion, but this year I'm definitely hitting the Swizzle Inn.

Don't try to do too many museums/aquariums/etc. You'll be back...and you can see other things next time. Leave yourself enough time to enjoy the beauty of the south beaches.

If you don't have a fear of heights, climb Gibb's Lighthouse for the views. If you do, the views from the hill are pretty spectacular without the extra work! :cool:

Archived