Pictures of the Grand - corrosion on the metal

12Cruise

Recently, someone posted pictures of the Grand corrosion on the metal in the balconies, etc...

I've looked high and low for those pictures and can't find them. I need to share them with the other couple who is sailing with us. I do not want them to be surprised.

I don't think it will matter with them, as it does not with me, but I need to / would like to, fully disclose everything that I know about the ship that they may not know. Kind of like a CYA type of thing. LOL :D

Thank you, 1 HappyCruiser - I want to show our companions what they "may" see...DH and I aren't worried about it, and would never think about cancelling our cruise because of the corrosion, but, we do have to consider them because they are our friends, and, because we are the ones who booked first and then they decided to join us. I just want everyone to be Happy! ;) :)

The first week of Feb. this year.
The reason I asked is that when I was on the Grand (10/08) TA our balcony door frame looked like that and they replaced it ,and many other on the trip. The thing that scared me was the floor on the forward elevators, it felt spongy and everyone stood near the edges not the center. She was going into the yard after the trip.

This is obviously one of the things that can only be replaced during a dry dock overhaul and didn't come about overnight. They were constantly chipping paint above the balconies every day which added extra work for the cabin stewards to clean up daily. The rest of the ship was in generally good condition and I wouldn't hesitate to book it even with the partition corrosion even though it didn't look very pretty.

One major item that I'm sure had been fixed was the air condition in the Da Vinci dining room. The temperature adjustment was almost non working & it was on full blast during the whole trip. The air temp must have been 65 -68 degrees and they couldn't adjust it any warmer. I haven't heard anyone else complain about the situation so it must have been fixed since then.

Though I have sailed on the Grand and would again, my primary concern for Princess is that this kind of degrading condition and appearance, MAY make some cruise passengers seek out newer and nicer ships. I would hate to see this beautiful ship get a bad reputation.

Though I have sailed on the Grand and would again, my primary concern for Princess is that this kind of degrading condition and appearance, MAY make some cruise passengers seek out newer and nicer ships. I would hate to see this beautiful ship get a bad reputation.
Having sailed on the Grand Princess many times I looked forward to one of the "newer and nicer ships", booking the Emerald Princess in her inaugural season.

I saw the same type of rust, etc. on a new ship that I've seen on the Grand Princess or any other ship.

Maintaining a cruise ship in pristine condition is a more than full time job for the crew, especially in areas where the ship is exposed to salt air. It is unrealistic to expect any ship to be in prime condition in all areas.

I am reminded of the Golden Gate bridge, where painting and repainting is a full time job - when they get finished painting from end to end, they just start over again. It's simply a matter of exposure to the elements.

The pictures are, to me, the kind of sensationalistic news we are bombarded with daily. You know - the ones which show a disaster, where you might notice the same picture shown about every 3-4 minutes. Was there an issue? yes. Was it epidemic in proportion - no. That's the way it is with rust on the exterior of a ship, and Princess' maintenance is pretty darn good on making sure it isn't a major issue.

We were on the Grand for two weeks in mid-January. Sure she has some warts and blemishes but there was nothing that would or should spoil ones cruise vacation. What is seen in those pixs normal corrosion and I am sure will be dealt with by Princess.

Archived