Looking for Hotel in London

Samantha94

We have booked a cruise leaving out of Dover England late June 2010 and we are flying into London three days prior to boarding the ship. We are looking for a hotel in London for the three nights. There are so many hotels to choose from and we just want a nice, clean place that is fairly central to attractions. If you have any information, please post - thanks!

We stumbled upon a lovely hotel last summer. It was the 22 Jermyn Street Hotel. It is older, very small -- a boutique hotel -- but not priced badly. We actually found it via Small Luxury Hotels (slh.com) which lets you sign up for free, gives you a guaranteed rate, and then a room upgrade if available at no extra cost.

We got there at about 8 AM, and our room was not ready, but they gave us another smaller room for the morning, and told us to do whatever we wanted insofar as showering, etc., and then go about our day, and when we returned we were in a small suite and our luggage had been moved for us.

It is a short block from Piccadilly Circus, so we could get to the Underground very quickly. It is also a short walk to the kiosk where they sell show tickets on the day of the show -- I forget the name of the operation. Some inexpensive places to eat in the area as well as the more expensive places.

Everyone was very helpful and nice. We loved it. Would go back in a heartbeat.

I highly recommend The Royal Horseguards. Great location, 10 minute walk from Trafalgar & Leicester Squares, right on the Thames across from the London Eye. Underground Station is just across the street and Waterloo Train Station is nearby too. It's also in a quiet area of London.

I agree that figuring out the best hotel in a city as large as London can be overwhelming. Have you taken a look at Cruise Critic sister site www.tripadvisor.com? I have found it invaluable in finding the right hotels for our travels.

Good luck!

Joe

I highly recommend The Royal Horseguards. Great location, 10 minute walk from Trafalgar & Leicester Squares, right on the Thames across from the London Eye. Underground Station is just across the street and Waterloo Train Station is nearby too. It's also in a quiet area of London.

I agree that figuring out the best hotel in a city as large as London can be overwhelming. Have you taken a look at Cruise Critic sister site www.tripadvisor.com? I have found it invaluable in finding the right hotels for our travels.

Good luck!

Joe

Thank you Joe - I will try the Royal Horseguards - I checked on 22 Jermyn Street Hotel that was suggested by bbwex and it has been closed down. I am new to this Cruise Critic Message board so hope that you do get my reply message - really appreciate your help! Happy travels to you -

Samantha

We stumbled upon a lovely hotel last summer. It was the 22 Jermyn Street Hotel. It is older, very small -- a boutique hotel -- but not priced badly. We actually found it via Small Luxury Hotels (slh.com) which lets you sign up for free, gives you a guaranteed rate, and then a room upgrade if available at no extra cost.

We got there at about 8 AM, and our room was not ready, but they gave us another smaller room for the morning, and told us to do whatever we wanted insofar as showering, etc., and then go about our day, and when we returned we were in a small suite and our luggage had been moved for us.

It is a short block from Piccadilly Circus, so we could get to the Underground very quickly. It is also a short walk to the kiosk where they sell show tickets on the day of the show -- I forget the name of the operation. Some inexpensive places to eat in the area as well as the more expensive places.

Everyone was very helpful and nice. We loved it. Would go back in a heartbeat.

bbwex - Thank you for your help - I am not sure if you received my first reply message as I am new to this Cruise Critic message board :) But I checked on the 22 Jermyn Street Hotel and unfortunately, it has been closed down. It sounds as though it would have be a wonderful place - thanks for your help anyway! Happy cruising!

Try Hotel 41 - on Buckingham Palace Rd, right across from the Royal Mews. It's a bit pricey, but we loved it (stayed 4 nights last August pre-cruise). Their breakfasts were incredible, and just a short walk to Victoria Station which is convenient for the underground and rail.

Samantha94, thanks for the heads up, though it was sad news. I just sent an email to the owner wishing him well. We look forward to visiting London again, but we were also looking forward to staying at the 22 Jermyn Street Hotel as well. Oh well, I suppose it's progress, but I cannot say that I agree with it. The area did not need to be "redeveloped."

bbwex: We went ahead and booked a room at Hotel 41; it came with excellent references and the location looks to be great. Yes, it is too bad about the 22 Jermyn Hotel especially when it is a place worth going back to - Thank you for your help though -Samantha

Samantha94, thanks for the heads up, though it was sad news. I just sent an email to the owner wishing him well. We look forward to visiting London again, but we were also looking forward to staying at the 22 Jermyn Street Hotel as well. Oh well, I suppose it's progress, but I cannot say that I agree with it. The area did not need to be "redeveloped."

We hope that you enjoy the Hotel 41 as much as we did! If you can, try not to eat a large dinner, as the "plunder the pantry" had some tasty treats. It was great the first night when we got there around 10PM after an all day flight. However, we were always way too stuffed from dinner on the other days.

Hope you got a breakfast package, as their English breakfasts were fantastic. They kept us full most of the day without needing lunch.

We are actually in London for one night pre-cruise this September, and it was between 41 and The Goring - went with the Goring, as I found a better discount there... Should be an interesting comparison.

We hope that you enjoy the Hotel 41 as much as we did! If you can, try not to eat a large dinner, as the "plunder the pantry" had some tasty treats. It was great the first night when we got there around 10PM after an all day flight. However, we were always way too stuffed from dinner on the other days.

Hope you got a breakfast package, as their English breakfasts were fantastic. They kept us full most of the day without needing lunch.

We are actually in London for one night pre-cruise this September, and it was between 41 and The Goring - went with the Goring, as I found a better discount there... Should be an interesting comparison.

JPALBNY - Thanks for the additional information about the "pantry" and the breakfasts. We did book the breakfast package so am glad to hear that it is worth it. Everything about the place just looks fantastic and the location is great - Glad to have the accommodations taken care of - Now we are just trying to find transportation from London to Dover for the Regatta June 30th cruise and then I think we're all set :) Thanks again for all your help! Happy Cruising! Samantha

Now we are just trying to find transportation from London to Dover for the Regatta June 30th cruise and then I think we're all set :) Thanks again for all your help! Happy Cruising! Samantha

Try to make a full day out of the trip from London to Dover. There are a number of interesting sights on the way. Last year, we left London at ~8:30 AM, and stopped at Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral, and the village of St. Margaret for a view of the white cliffs of Dover before our driver/guide dropped us off at the pier. Much more enjoyable than a simple transfer...

Can you tell me more as we are on the cruise Sept 16 and would like to do the same.

Can you give me a heads up who how etc.

Thanks so much

Paul

Sure - we used tour guide named David Stubbs. He met us at our hotel at a prearranged time (well, actually a few minutes later, but still OK) and took us to the aforementioned places. He was knowledgeable about the sites, etc., but didn't accompany us at the sites so we could wander at our own pace. I think it was about 250 pounds for the whole day, and he'll customize the itinerary to whatever you want to see.

His e-mail is davidstubbs56@blueyonder.co.uk and his website is http://www.londoncountrytours.co.uk/. We have always had David himself; don't know any of his other employees. He's very personable and we'd use him again if/when we need to (not this trip, unfortunately).

You may recall that we were going to be on this cruise with you, but switched to a very similar itinerary on Silversea that's leaving 9/11 - from Tower Bridge in London instead of Dover. Oh well, catch you another time!

Sure - we used tour guide named David Stubbs. He met us at our hotel at a prearranged time (well, actually a few minutes later, but still OK) and took us to the aforementioned places. He was knowledgeable about the sites, etc., but didn't accompany us at the sites so we could wander at our own pace. I think it was about 250 pounds for the whole day, and he'll customize the itinerary to whatever you want to see.

His e-mail is davidstubbs56@blueyonder.co.uk and his website is http://www.londoncountrytours.co.uk/. We have always had David himself; don't know any of his other employees. He's very personable and we'd use him again if/when we need to (not this trip, unfortunately).

You may recall that we were going to be on this cruise with you, but switched to a very similar itinerary on Silversea that's leaving 9/11 - from Tower Bridge in London instead of Dover. Oh well, catch you another time!

Jpalbny and Polecat1 - Thanks so much for the heads up on the transportation from London to Dover. A tour sounds great and something that we had talked about doing - really appreciate all the information; you guys are really seasoned travelers! Thanks again! Samantha

Linda, Thank you for the heads up for a good dinner place; we have our hotel reservations now but the help on places to eat is very helpful as I know London is $$expensive :)

Samantha

We stayed twice at the Best Western Burns Hotel near Earl's Court Tube Stop. If you stay in the area, or not (you can always take the tube), try dinner at Ffiona's Resturant.

Linda

Archived