Good or bad to pay balance early on ES ?

Ykgorbie

I just need some clarification on the following if someone could help: We're booked for back to back cruises this coming October (3rd and 9th) on the Freedom and we booked about 8 months ago. I have some money to pay off the balance on both cruises now and was wondering if there are any drawbacks to doing so. I had thought there was something about not being able to take advantage of any price reductions once you pay off the balance, no ??

The sooner it's paid off, the sooner I can save up beaucoup the spending $$ and the sooner I can put down a deposit on another cruise ! I also live far enough away from any port (9 hours of flying time from here to Fort Lauderdale) that our airfares are very costly. And I like having the whole holiday taken care of months out....feels good.

Having only cruised with Carnival twice my opinion may be a bit jaded but I've made the calls and Carnival doesn't care. I would not pay before final payment is required because Carnival doesn't offer OBC or anything. Two years in a row I've called about price drops. The first year, being an inexperienced cruiser, I was told because final payment was made I was ineligle. This year they had excuse after excuse. I phoned and was told it was after final payment so i was ineligle. I questioned this saying it wasn't my policy for final payment as early as they require it. I then asked if OBC was available for this. They put me on hold and then came back saying I was now ineligible for this discount because I booked under their "resident discount" and this posting was a past guest discount. They have all their bases covered and hide over and over again behind the fine print of their policies. Carnival has the market cornered. They know it, and therefore, do not hold customer satisfaction in high regard. Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed both my cruises. I still wonder what I'm missing on other cruiselines. Because carnival is so quick to pass on customer service, i and others I have spoken to, are considering the competition.

Good luck

Heimey

Having only cruised with Carnival twice my opinion may be a bit jaded but I've made the calls and Carnival doesn't care. I would not pay before final payment is required because Carnival doesn't offer OBC or anything. Two years in a row I've called about price drops. The first year, being an inexperienced cruiser, I was told because final payment was made I was ineligle. This year they had excuse after excuse. I phoned and was told it was after final payment so i was ineligle. I questioned this saying it wasn't my policy for final payment as early as they require it. I then asked if OBC was available for this. They put me on hold and then came back saying I was now ineligible for this discount because I booked under their "resident discount" and this posting was a past guest discount. They have all their bases covered and hide over and over again behind the fine print of their policies. Carnival has the market cornered. They know it, and therefore, do not hold customer satisfaction in high regard. Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed both my cruises. I still wonder what I'm missing on other cruiselines. Because carnival is so quick to pass on customer service, i and others I have spoken to, are considering the competition.

Good luck

Heimey

Two shots to book ES and you missed them both. :rolleyes:

Good luck

Heimey

Two shots to book ES and you missed them both. :rolleyes:

The Duck knows of what he speaks;) When you book Early Saver, as the OP stated, you can take advantage of price drops until 2 days before sailing. If final payment has already been made, then they issue you OBC toward your Sail & Sign. I just got 400 in OBC last week for our cruise in May!:D

What do you mean by this. I booked when I booked because I had no choice based on my wife's work schedule. I don't have the luxury of booking months in advance because she works for the school board. Can't just leave whenever you want. Kids have to learn. I appreciate your explaining this to me Linda. If booking months in advance were an option I would have. Big Duck or Di ck need not offer his ignorance in a situation he has no knowledge about. His opinion is unappreciated in this. Regardless,thanks again Linda.

Heimey

Heimey

Please also note the the OP is from Canada and our dollar is doing better against the US greenback. I would keep an eye out on the exchange and when it at or above par I would be paying it off. That's my plan for my New Year's cruise!:p

Snow bunny

I would not pay before final payment is required because Carnival doesn't offer OBC or anything.

They have all their bases covered and hide over and over again behind the fine print of their policies. Carnival has the market cornered. They know it, and therefore, do not hold customer satisfaction in high regard.

Because carnival is so quick to pass on customer service, i and others I have spoken to, are considering the competition.

Good luck

Heimey

I disagree with your comments about Carnival and their customer service, but by all means, broaden your horizens and try somewhere else.

What do you mean by this. I booked when I booked because I had no choice based on my wife's work schedule. I don't have the luxury of booking months in advance because she works for the school board. Can't just leave whenever you want. Kids have to learn. I appreciate your explaining this to me Linda. If booking months in advance were an option I would have. Big Duck or Di ck need not offer his ignorance in a situation he has no knowledge about. His opinion is unappreciated in this. Regardless,thanks again Linda.

Heimey

Heimey

This is just rude!!!!!

Heimey

Heimey

The benefit of booking so early with ES is that you can take advantage of the price drops as the occur to reduce your fare before final payment or for OBC after final payment. Thats Carnival's reward to those that book early. To those who can't, like myself on my upcoming cruise, or you in your case, they still offer all of the original discount packages such as past guest and resident rates but they do not reward you by offering you OBC if the rate goes lower as they try to fill the ship.

What I believe you still do qualify for, though you may have to work for it a bit, is you can upgrade if a higher category falls to the fare you paid. Say you paid $500pp for an OV but a balcony becomes available for $500 and your OV falls to $400, you can call and possibly take the upgrade but you cannot receive the $100 OBC for staying in your OV. I am not positive that is a viable option to those not under ES though.

Heimey

Heimey

I don't understand why you can't book in advance. Your wife should have more of a set schedule than those of us who don't work in the school system.

Heimey

Heimey:

Since your wife works for the school board, let me try explaining it to you this way. Let's say your wife's employer (the school district) has a policy against bringing guns to school. My kid brings one anyway and is expelled. I go before the school board to plead on behalf of my kid.

-----------------------------

I SAY: "Look! This gun rule isn't fair! So maybe it was in the fine print on the school web site, but I didn't read it! And I'm too busy to check my kid's backpack in the morning! I didn't know he had a gun! Why can't you make an exception and bend the rules? You people on the school board are a bunch of idiots!"

-----------------------------

My point is that rules are made for a reason. Kids (and adults) need to follow them.

I don't understand why you can't book in advance. Your wife should have more of a set schedule than those of us who don't work in the school system.

I agree, after having worked in a school & in a school administration office for years. Maybe things are different in Canada, but our school board's work meetings and public meetings for the year are scheduled & listed on the school calendar. Also, the board doesn't meet when school is closed (vacations, summer, etc.).

My friend is the assistant superintendent for a school district and even she makes vacation plans in advance, so I'd certainly think someone who is just a board member could do that!

She has to get approval from the board to go during the school year. They tend to take their time in these situations, as was the case this year. I booked an April cruise, getting the early booking discount, only to have to cancel it for a March break cruise. We don't particularily enjoy the chaos associated with March break.

Thanks

Heimey

Archived