Special items to pack

I'm puzzled by those that bring the folding hampers......I find the bottom of a closet or an empty drawer works just fine :D

We simply use a laundry bag and leave it in the bottom of the closet area.

An empty drawer??? We must reserve the cheaper cabins. I can not recall an empty drawer.:)

Bill

:D If we end up cruising with you, we'll be sure to save you a drawer

Seriously, though, we travel VERY light....a rolling carryon and backpack for me, a rolling carryon and camera bag for DH

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2010/04/how-to-pack-light-for-cruise.html

My sister has a Kindle and it is amazing. I especially like it because it is not like reading a computer screen.

I've seen the Ipad and am on the fence about it. I like that it has all the features, but it is like reading a computer screen. I guess you can get a screen cover that dulls the surface, but the Kindle is so much smaller and lighter.

My sister has hers in a nice leather cover, so she holds it like a book.

Although I usually visit the library first stop on a cruise, a Kindle would be great.

My concession to extra packing is my DVD player, I can't sleep without a movie.

I know you said you don't need a bungee cord for the sliding doors on Princess, but I brought a bungee cord on one of our cruises on Carnival. I loved the idea of hearing the ocean in our room until there was a knock on the door. I opened the door to see three ship's officers standing there to discuss my bungee cord with them. I honestly had no idea that I was 'doing something wrong.' They explained to me not only was it causing the air conditioners to work twice as hard, but that the constant sea air with all the salt was very damaging to the interior of the room. There was no question that these officers were trying very hard to stop this practice of leaving the doors open. I haven't done it since and now leave the bungee cord at home. I wasn't thrilled at the sight of these three guys at my door, and don't plan on it again.

I don't understand the luggage scale. If one is concerned enough with weight to need one, it just adds to the total. I can see weighing your bag before you go, but it shouldn't weight much more coming back. Even if you do shop so much that you go over the weight, what is the point. If it weighs too heavy will you leave something behind?

I don't understand the luggage scale. If one is concerned enough with weight to need one, it just adds to the total. I can see weighing your bag before you go, but it shouldn't weight much more coming back. Even if you do shop so much that you go over the weight, what is the point. If it weighs too heavy will you leave something behind?

I have a HEY'S luggage scale and it weights next to nothing and is quite compact. I keep it in my carry on. We always use it to balance out our luggage, if we find that one piece weighs close to 50 lbs and the other only 36 lbs we will change things up in the luggage just so they r more even in weight. I must also tell you the HEY'S scales are very accurate. We won't leave home without it :p

Happy Cruising.........

DonnaF :D

A note about the Kindle (and Barnes & Noble's Nook). They do not really have a "computer screen" at all. There is no backlight at all. They use a special process called e-ink, which appears the same as type on a page. They do need ambient light, but can be read easily in bright sunshine. At this point, I think the Kindle has a slight edge, but they are already in version 2 essentially, and the Nook still has to evolve a little.

As for the luggage scale, they are readily available, and we use one all the time since we fly Southwest, and they don't want luggage over 50 pounds, so we can weigh our suitcases, and shift things around so we don't have one at 53 pounds and another at 46. Now that I have it, I weight my propane tank to see if I have enough propane for cooking, etc.

Just a note for people on this thread that might be sailing on Holland America -- you cannot take your own power strip, but they will lend you one onboard.

I will be bringing and always carry a very small first aide kit. Its so small it fits in my small purse and goes everywhere. It has four midol, a half dozen band aides assorted sizes, bandages and some creame for small wounds. I would rather have it availible and its tiny and goes everywhere I go anyway.

I am the queen of light packers as my friends call me. I travel for monthes on end out of one backpack so for a cruise I plan to travel light.

I do appreate that some people like to take more things to make them feel comfortable. But I live in Alaska so I tend to fly for a lot of my trips and I always do carry on thats for sure.

Warmly,

Adri

Do you bring a hermetically sealed chemical warfare suit to protect you from all those bad germs floating around in the air? :rolleyes:

No, DH does not have a spleen, and so therefore cannot fight off germs you and I can. Also, we have been on two cruises following a novovirus breakout. While bathrooms and common areas are cleaned well, hard surfaces, switches, etc., within the cabins are not necessarily given the same attention.

Archived