Something new to do in Halifax

I live in Halifax.... When will you be here? The Public Gardens are nice... they open on 14 April. During the summer months there is 'Shakespeare By The Sea' in Point Pleasant Park. This isn't expensive, usually by donation. Just bring a blanket to sit on as there are no seats (it's in a park). There are walking ghost tours too.

I live in Halifax.... When will you be here? The Public Gardens are nice... they open on 14 April. During the summer months there is 'Shakespeare By The Sea' in Point Pleasant Park. This isn't expensive, usually by donation. Just bring a blanket to sit on as there are no seats (it's in a park). There are walking ghost tours too.

we leave NY June 19th. Not sure what day we are in Halifax. Thank you

Lisa/Mark,

We will be in Halifax on Oct. 21 on the Crown along with 3 other ships. That's 10,000 people decending on your town. Would love some ideas of dealing with the crowds. We have never been to Halifax and were looking forward to doing all the typical things (Peggy's Cove etc) but that seems like a bad idea. Help!

Since you live in Halifax can you help?....we will be there for 9hrs on April 30 and wish to either rent a car and drive ourselves to see what we want to see or hire a taxi for the day....any idea about the cost???

We wish to see Lunenburg, Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove. How long would it take to see that?

Thank you in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
Since you live in Halifax can you help?....we will be there for 9hrs on April 30 and wish to either rent a car and drive ourselves to see what we want to see or hire a taxi for the day....any idea about the cost???

We wish to see Lunenburg, Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove. How long would it take to see that?

Thank you in advance!

You posted this awhile ago so I'm sure you've had time to search some. I love Halifax and we visit several times a year. I did live there for a few years but that was a long time ago.

If you wish to see Peggy's Cove ( or further to Lunenburg ) you will most definitely want to rent a car. It is a full day excursion in my opinion to go to Lunenburg from Halifax. The drive along to Peggy's Cove , then Lunenburg ( you pass through Mahone Bay on the way ) , and then straight back will take about 4 hours. Lunenburg is so beautiful, quaint, and picturesque. I might do the whole thing if the weather was nice , and maybe just to Peggy's Cove and back if it was not. You will want to watch your time. The time at each would be limited but if you are more interested in seeing 'picturesque' and 'fishing village' type scenery rather than 'city' I would highly recommend it.

Definitely rent a car, get a good map (GPS is good too) and explore the coastline.

Between Halifax and Lunenburg if you hug the coast and take back roads there are wonderful little villages with great scenery.

You posted this awhile ago so I'm sure you've had time to search some. I love Halifax and we visit several times a year. I did live there for a few years but that was a long time ago.

If you wish to see Peggy's Cove ( or further to Lunenburg ) you will most definitely want to rent a car. It is a full day excursion in my opinion to go to Lunenburg from Halifax. The drive along to Peggy's Cove , then Lunenburg ( you pass through Mahone Bay on the way ) , and then straight back will take about 4 hours. Lunenburg is so beautiful, quaint, and picturesque. I might do the whole thing if the weather was nice , and maybe just to Peggy's Cove and back if it was not. You will want to watch your time. The time at each would be limited but if you are more interested in seeing 'picturesque' and 'fishing village' type scenery rather than 'city' I would highly recommend it.

We need info on a tour operator or taxi company for 4-5 hours to Lunenburg. We have rented a car before and gone to Peggy's Cove, but DH says he is on vacation and does not want to drive. I need to contactl a few companies to see who/which ones will work for us. Btw, HAL has a 7 hour "excursion" which is really a do it on your own for I think $79.00pp but we do not want to spend that much time. I am concerned for 2 people that a taxi for 2 people will be more than $160.00. Our roll call is dead.

... If you wish to see Peggy's Cove ( or further to Lunenburg ) you will most definitely want to rent a car. It is a full day excursion in my opinion to go to Lunenburg from Halifax. The drive along to Peggy's Cove ...

I typo'd , I meant to say "The Drive ALONE...". i just want to be clear that around 4 hours would be drive time only and that is assuming skipping some of the coastal drive on the way back, taking a more direct route to Halifax from Lunenburg.

Jade13 , I can't recommend any specific tours because I've not done any. Here is a link to a Halifax Info site with many options listed. I'm not sure that any private tour will be more cost effective than the cruise ship tour considering the distances and length of time, but some research will tell you. http://www.halifaxinfo.com/tours.php?getSearch=-5

Best of luck , it is a beautiful area as you know having already been to Peggy's Cove.

I typo'd , I meant to say "The Drive ALONE...". i just want to be clear that around 4 hours would be drive time only and that is assuming skipping some of the coastal drive on the way back, taking a more direct route to Halifax from Lunenburg.

Jade13 , I can't recommend any specific tours because I've not done any. Here is a link to a Halifax Info site with many options listed. I'm not sure that any private tour will be more cost effective than the cruise ship tour considering the distances and length of time, but some research will tell you. http://www.halifaxinfo.com/tours.php?getSearch=-5

Best of luck , it is a beautiful area as you know having already been to Peggy's Cove.

Thanks!

There will be 5 of us, so I think renting a car will be a lot cheaper than a ship's excursion. What car rental places are near the port? (We'll be travelling in August, Carnival Glory). Sounds like Peggy's Cove is the place to go - do you think 3 boys, age 11, 14, and 19 will enjoy a trip there? Any other recommendations to show the boys a good time? Thank you.

There will be 5 of us, so I think renting a car will be a lot cheaper than a ship's excursion. What car rental places are near the port? (We'll be travelling in August, Carnival Glory). Sounds like Peggy's Cove is the place to go - do you think 3 boys, age 11, 14, and 19 will enjoy a trip there? Any other recommendations to show the boys a good time? Thank you.

There is an Alamo location in the Westin Hotel on Hollis St. The back of the Hotel is across the street from the port and is less than a 5 minute walk. There is a Budget location on Hollis St which would be about a 10 minute walk. Enterprise is much farther away in Scotia Square (a small mall in an office tower) and would be about 20-25 minutes walk, however they may pick you up. Hertz is in the Marriott Hotel on Hollis St about 20 minutes away.

If the boys are interested in history at all ( Old Forts , Canons, etc ) You might consider looking at Citidel Hill before leaving Halifax. Citidel Hill is about a 5 minute walk if you are docked at / near Pier 21. There is also an old for named York Redoubt , it is not large but would be a place to stop and picnic or check out the ocean. ( The REdoubt is not a major attraction just a suggestion , it is a 10 minute drive off of the route to Peggy's Cove , and then 10 minutes to get back to that route ). Citidel Hill is much more informative and will usually have people in period costume etc.

I think the boys would like Peggy's Cove. It is not very devloped though, in the sense that there are not an arcade or a 'boardwalk'. It is much more 'serene', as a boy - adult I always enjoy Peggy's Cove. Large Rock surfaces to run around in , tidal pools to poke into etc. HOWEVER; please be aware of any weather dependant wave warnings.

How easy is it to visit the cemetary of those who died on the Titanic and maybe the Titanic Museum without taking a shore excursion? Walkable? Taxi or publci stransport will work?

The Museum is about a 15 minute walk from the terminal near Pier 21. The Fairview and the Mount Olivet cemeteries are about 3 miles from the museum. I don't know about public transportation, I would consider calling the museum to ask. It would be about 10 - 15 minutes in a taxi if traffic is not too bad.

I noticed at the end of April this year they were doing some pretty extensive renovations to the museum. It is a very popular waterfront attraction, I expect they plan to be finished before the cruise ships begin pouring in.

We took private tour to Lunenberg in 2008 and loved the place.. So charming, wonderful lunch etc. And a stop in Mahone Bay. A good option outside Halifax IMHO

Host Caroline, who did you use for your private tour to Lunenberg? We are looking to do the same but as a half day (maybe 5 hour) excursion, with the rest of the time to walk around Halifax.

It will probably will be just the two of us as our roll call is pretty dead with just 3 people.

Archived