RCL lifers have questions

danielbriere

OK, so we've only ever been on Royal Caribbean but are considering leaving the kids at home for the first time and cruising with another couple. But I've got questions coming out the ying yang about making the switch to Celebrity. Hope some of you Celebrity experts can jump in and answer a few here.

My thanks in advance.

1. If you have been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, is there a massive difference? I know the ships are different, but I mean in food, service, etc.

2. RCL owns Celebrity as I understand it. Will our Crown and Anchor Society benefits (meagre as they are) translate onto Celebrity? If they are, what will that mean?

3. I assume you pay extra for the specialty restaurants. How much and is it worth it?

4. We're looking at going on the Celebrity Century which has been refurbished. Is it clean and attractive or worn-out and natty?

5. I've seen very little about the evening shows. Are they good? We've always been very happy with Royal Caribbean's entertainment and the evening shows are a high point for us.

I'll start with that. I'm sure I'll have 274 more questions stemming from the answers.

Thanks again for anyone willing to throw in their two cents' worth.

OK, so we've only ever been on Royal Caribbean but are considering leaving the kids at home for the first time and cruising with another couple. But I've got questions coming out the ying yang about making the switch to Celebrity. Hope some of you Celebrity experts can jump in and answer a few here.

My thanks in advance.

1. If you have been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, is there a massive difference? I know the ships are different, but I mean in food, service, etc.

2. RCL owns Celebrity as I understand it. Will our Crown and Anchor Society benefits (meagre as they are) translate onto Celebrity? If they are, what will that mean?

3. I assume you pay extra for the specialty restaurants. How much and is it worth it?

4. We're looking at going on the Celebrity Century which has been refurbished. Is it clean and attractive or worn-out and natty?

5. I've seen very little about the evening shows. Are they good? We've always been very happy with Royal Caribbean's entertainment and the evening shows are a high point for us.

I'll start with that. I'm sure I'll have 274 more questions stemming from the answers.

Thanks again for anyone willing to throw in their two cents' worth.

you didn't say what level you are with royal. I'll assume that you are diamond or Diamond Plus. If that is the case then you will automatically become Elite on any Celebrity cruise . You can check out the Elite perks at http://www.celebrity.com .Imo they are far superior to Royals perks .

Food quality & service on Celebrity is far better than on Royal Ships .

Celebrity's entertainment is top notch .We have seen great shows & never been disappointed.

I can't talk about the the Century as we have never sailed on her . But we have sailed many times on the Mercury ,Infiniti ,Summit ,Millennium & the new Equinox(our favorite) .We love them all ;but ,the new S class ships are the best we have ever sailed on & we have taken 45 cruises on royal ,Celebrity ,Holland ,Princess & Carnival .

Enjoy your cruise .you will become a fan of Celebrity .BTW you can also check out the past passenger reviews of Century on this web site. Just go to the top & click on reviews then click on passenger reviews for Celebrity & search down for Century

Lifers on RCI...WHY?

Variety is the spice of life....

X has a very nice product..but far less ships than Royal..so less choices...

However one thing that X has over RCI is, abeyance, there is a tranquil feeling once I board an X the ship...I love that feeling...I love the staff.

From what you stated it appears benefits, cost and the ship as a destination is important to you.

From our experience everything is superior on X and with the new benefits for elite, now is the time to try it out.

Most recent on Centvry [sorry abovt "v" having keyboard issves]. We are Elite and really enjoyed the perks. I'd say Centvry is similar to Majesty for a small ship feel. Older yet clean and very easy to get arovnd. We are booked on Centvry for a 2 week med trip and think it will be perfect for a port intensive crvise this fall. For me, food/entertainment is very svbjective and not all that easy to rate. We love to eat and love the shows and fovnd very little difference between the two lines. If we didn't know we were on another line, it wovld have been hard to tell the difference. Speciallty restaravnts abovt same pricing...happy sailing

[quote name=danielbriere;23953825

1. If you have been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity' date=' is there a massive difference? I know the ships are different, but I mean in food, service, etc.

Thanks again for anyone willing to throw in their two cents' worth.[/quote]

I have sailed multiple times on both lines. I do prefer Celebrity.

1. Is there a massive difference? Not massive by any means, but, there is a difference. IMO, Celebrity is better

2. If you have at least 5 credits on RCI they will transfer to an equivalent range of perks on Celebrity's Captain's Club. http://www.celebritycruises.com/captainsclub/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000qEEb20RzhNu5N8Ax5hXRTtY:12hdbcveb?pagename=membership_benefits

3. I have only done this once, years ago. It was definitely worth the $25 (at that time) p/p.

4. We were on the Century in December. She is in fine shape. If one looks close enough, one can discover her warts. Keep in mind she is 14 years old. I think she has aged very gracefully. She does not have the whistles and bangs of the newer ships in the fleet, but she is still a grand lady.

5. IMO, this is probably the wink link in the Celebrity product. Most of the time the shows are entertaining, just nothing special.

If for no other reason than to expand your cruising repertoire, try this cruise on Century. I am positive you will enjoy it and will probably look to Celebrity for future cruises . . . . . even with the kids.

you didn't say what level you are with royal. I'll assume that you are diamond or Diamond Plus. If that is the case then you will automatically become Elite on any Celebrity cruise . You can check out the Elite perks at www.celebrity.com .Imo they are far superior to Royals perks .
I can get up to $300 off my balcony cabin on RCI, Celebrity's other perks would have to be a lot better to offset that.

How? As a member of C&A? Through a T/A?
It's a standard Diamond C&A benefit. $100/$200/$300 (depending on cruise length) off per cabin for booking a balcony or higher. $300 would be for a 10 day or longer cruise.

It's a standard Diamond C&A benefit. $100/$200/$300 (depending on cruise length) off per cabin for booking a balcony or higher. $300 would be for a 10 day or longer cruise.

Celebrity's other perks would have to be a lot better to offset that.

Well, you may want to check out the perks then, Mark, but if you used the perks provided that are not provided by C&A, it would wash quickly (a little pun intended). Assuming that both you and your SO are eligible for Diamond.

Elite provides.

90 minutes (each) free internet. I have no idea of price.

9 complimentary coffeehouse style breakfast with specialty coffee included. (So figure $12/day 1 ea.) $108

9 complimentary evening 2 hour social w/drinks provided. (Figure 2 call drinks p/p (1 per hour) . . . .$6 per drink/4drinks $24/day) $216

1 free bag of laundry each. (Figure $30/bag) $60

We have surpassed your $300 savings and still have some monetary complimentary things to use.

Now, I quickly priced a 11 day on Jewel OTS ($1170) vs Equinox ($1149). Basically the same price.

However, the OP did not ask about cruise price. Only about amenities.

But you must book a balcony, so there is a catch.

With X you do get a CAT., upgrade if available.

What do you mean you get an upgrade??? I just booked a 1A on the new S class that is being built. No one told me anything about getting an upgrade and there must be upgrades available since they just opened the bookings.

I'm new to Celbrity but I'm elite status because of our Royal Caribbean status.

What do you mean you get an upgrade??? I just booked a 1A on the new S class that is being built. No one told me anything about getting an upgrade and there must be upgrades available since they just opened the bookings.

I'm new to Celbrity but I'm elite status because of our Royal Caribbean status.

From X's website...

Elite Member Benefits* (After 10 earned tier credits)**

• Complimentary use of the Loyalty Desk member service center between cruises • Complimentary access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise • A premium onboard discount booklet filled with special offers during each cruise • Complimentary custom air request when booking your cruise • Pre-sailing specialty restaurant reservations available before your cruise • Annual member reunion cruises which include member events and discounts One category upgrade prior to sailing (when available)• Complimentary online Captain's Club newsletter with the latest program news and information • Priority embarkation while boarding the ship • Invitation to a complimentary wine seminar event • Priority status on the shore excursion waitlist • Invitation to the exclusive Senior Officer's Cocktail Party • Access to the private shipboard departure lounge with continental breakfast during disembarkation • Priority tender service status • Priority waitlist status for dining room seating • Invitation to attend the Elegant Tea Service event • Complimentary use of the Thalassotherapy Pool. (Celebrity Mercury only - when the ship is in port) • Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Tier

DocJohnB,

I must respectfully disagree with you about the Celebrity shows. They are the best we've seen at sea, and we've been on 50 cruises in the last 27 years. On other lines, I have rarely liked the big "song and dance" shows with the big cast, but on Celebrity we try to never miss one. We've never been to a bad one yet - and we're very picky and very critical of the shows generally.

I guess entertainment is like food. It's very subjective. I just wanted the OP to get another point of view.

Well, you may want to check out the perks then, Mark, but if you used the perks provided that are not provided by C&A, it would wash quickly (a little pun intended). Assuming that both you and your SO are eligible for Diamond.

Elite provides.

90 minutes (each) free internet. I have no idea of price.

9 complimentary coffeehouse style breakfast with specialty coffee included. (So figure $12/day 1 ea.) $108

9 complimentary evening 2 hour social w/drinks provided. (Figure 2 call drinks p/p (1 per hour) . . . .$6 per drink/4drinks $24/day) $216

1 free bag of laundry each. (Figure $30/bag) $60

We have surpassed your $300 savings and still have some monetary complimentary things to use.

Now, I quickly priced a 11 day on Jewel OTS ($1170) vs Equinox ($1149). Basically the same price.

However, the OP did not ask about cruise price. Only about amenities.

I believe 90 minutes would be about $50, but there is a $10 coupon in the RCI Diamond coupon book, so call it $40.

There's a special Diamond breakfast area which includes free specialty coffees.

There's a Diamond event with free wine and champagne every evening from 5:00-8:30. I'd prefer a wider variety of drinks, but I much prefer the hours to 4:00-6:00.

There's a $5 off $30 laundry coupon, so make it $25.

So, what I'm seeing is $40 Internet and $25 laundry, everything else is pretty much a wash.

But you must book a balcony, so there is a catch.

With X you do get a CAT., upgrade if available.

How does that "free" upgrade work? I was under the impression it was basically valueless if you typically booked balconies or suites.

I believe 90 minutes would be about $50, but there is a $10 coupon in the RCI Diamond coupon book, so call it $40.

There's a special Diamond breakfast area which includes free specialty coffees.

There's a Diamond event with free wine and champagne every evening from 5:00-8:30. I'd prefer a wider variety of drinks, but I much prefer the hours to 4:00-6:00.

There's a $5 off $30 laundry coupon, so make it $25.

So, what I'm seeing is $40 Internet and $25 laundry, everything else is pretty much a wash.

OK. You can stick with RCI, I will continue with Celebrity as my line of choice. :cool:

But I will check out just what you are talking about with all the C&A perks in a couple of days on the Explorer OTS. :D

OK. You can stick with RCI, I will continue with Celebrity as my line of choice. :cool:

But I will check out just what you are talking about with all the C&A perks in a couple of days on the Explorer OTS. :D

If loyalty perks were my only criterion for choosing between RCI and Celebrity I probably would. However, it is just one of many, and I'm on this board specifically to get more information about Celebity.

Archived