Opinion on Children taking friends

If that doesn't work for you, I can see if my brother's inlaws will adopt you. They take their 40 something year old kids, spouses and grandkids on a cruise every summer. They pay cruise fare, tips and transportation to port. My brother only has to pay for their excursions.:eek:

SIGN ME UP!!!!!! How nice for your brother and family. I hope he knows how lucky he is to have such nice and generous inlaws!!!!:D

I have paid for my daughter and her best friend to cruise with us but they were in their teens. Now that she has just graduated from college and has a fabulous job she and her friend would pay for most of their trip.

The only way I think I'd pay for adults to come on the cruise is #1 if I could easily afford it and #2 I had done the inviting personally.

Since you aren't either #1 or #2 according to your writing, then I don't think you have any obligation to them. If your adult children want to kick in some of the fare to help their friends pay for their cruise, since they invited them, tell them to go ahead.

We paid for our 2 sons, ages 28 and 33, and our youngest son's fiancee, age 27, last December on the Indy. Oldest son was a single supplement. We told them a year in advance it was their "everything" gift for 2009. When we got over $500 per cabin price drops we also let them keep the obc for the cruise.

We did this because it was the only way we could get solid time with everyone in one place together for multiple days, since we live in So CA, oldest in No CA, and youngest/fiancee in MI. Grandma came,too, and paid her way.

I asked my oldest if he wanted to invite a friend along to share his cabin, since all his current friends are men we have all known since he was 6 years old. He said they couldn't afford it. Had one of his friends come with us he would have paid his own way. If we hadn't given them all the obc, I think we might have used it to help pay for a friend, but we all agreed together that we wanted the obc and oldest son could stay in the cabin by himself.

It was the BEST vacation!!!!!!!!!

WOW that is wonderful! I think if my mom were able to she would do things like this. She is on a fixed income but always trying to buy things for me and do things for her grandchilren. All of the "no mom you don't need to do this." just offends her. It makes her happy to do things for us.

Archived