Discover Scuba

shayausten

We are going on the Celebrity Solstice June 6. Any suggestions on what port to do discover scuba class? We are visiting Cozumel,Costa Maya,Roatan Honduras,Grand Cayman. I have done a Discover Scuba class once before but my daughter has never been. I have checked around here at home about getting certified but that would cost about 900 for the two of us and that is alot of money. Can anyone comment on the snorkeling in those places. We would prefer shallow areas so you can see the fish more close up. I suppose we could do the discover scuba in more than one port. I have not booked any shore excursions yet for our cruise and I need to as it is getting close.

I'd choose between Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

In Cozumel I'd go to Playa Palancar and do it with their onsite dive operator. -----> http://buceopalancar.com/index_en.html

For Grand Cayman, I'd check with http://www.sunsethouse.com to see if they offer Discover Scuba. If not, then I'd probably go with one of the 2 dive operators at Eden Rock.

We did Discovery Scuba in Cozumel. The dive shop we went to was in chankanaab park. I heard the dive shop is no longer there. We had so much fun, we came home and got certified a few months later.

So my vote is Cozumel!

I believe that scuba is still available at Chankanaab.

A little over two years ago my DW and I asked the same question about Cozumel on this same forum and was referred to Eagle Ray Divers.

That's who we went with and it was such a great experience that it "hooked" us on diving and we were SSI certified about 6 months later. Never turned back.

It was just their Divemaster Luiz, my DW, and I. They're great people.

I am currently in discussion with Sunset House about a Discovery dive for my daughter.

I've over 400 logged dives and probably 1/3 of those are on Sunset's reefs and we're booked for a 'discovery' for her in May on a cruise visit

what I can say now is e-mail 'em and you can book....check the web site and see the facility and maybe you'll like it as do I

I'll let you know how things go . . . but note - this is the first place I called for my daughter's first dive . . .

The ports you are visiting, are among the best for scuba/snorkeling -- Cozumel,Costa Maya,Roatan Honduras, Grand Cayman. In fact, these will be the dream ports for scuba/snorkeling.

Cozumel is known for drift diving, and the best diving is from boat, a little way from shore. However, they don't usually do discovery scuba on the boat. We did that with my 2 sons just last month, but that's because they had done DS before.

In Grand Caymon, Eden Rock is a few hundred yards away from the Georgetown cruise terminal. Either Abanks (which is more like a stand), and Eden Rock Dive center can provide DS. Abanks will be cheaper, if you can get it arranged with them. Both will have decent, walk down the ladder, shore diving.

Costa Maya is one of the newly discovered gems for diving. It might also be cheap, depending on how/who you arrange it. Roatan is the only one I haven't been to, but have heard lots of good reviews about diving there. I'd like to go there myself someday soon.

Archived