Port of Miami shuttle and hotels

Otis Hertz Alott

Hi. I'm new to this site. Next month we're going on a Carnival cruise out of Miami, but we're flying in a day early. Anyone recommend a hotel to stay in Miami area that's in a touristy area, reasonable price, free shuttle from airport (if it's possible), and free shuttle (if possible) to port the next day? Where should we stay? Downtown? How much would shuttle or taxi cost to port? What time should we be leaving to go to port? Is it best to go as early as possible and just roam ship before it leaves? Also, is it true that after the cruise there's a free shuttle that brings people to the airport? If not, how much is it per person? As of now, we have 9 people in our party that will be going. Many thanks.

Here's the link to the Florida Departure Ports board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=495

You'll find info lots of info there.

I can tell you that I've stayed at 4 downtown hotels and none of them have free shuttles. If you stay at the Intercontinental or Holiday Inn, Bayside Marketplace is real close. A cab would be about $25.

I always go to the ship as early as possible. Around 10:30am.

There is not a free shuttle from the port to the airport. Carnival does have a shuttle service. It is $16pp from POM to MIA.

HTH

You might try looking through some of the threads from the Florida Departures board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

When we were there in July we paid less than $25 for a taxi fron the airport to downtown and less than $20 from downtown to the pier.

As far as hotels go, it really depends on how much you are willing to spend and what you are looking for. I normally will look at online agencies prices and select a few hotels in our price range and then scour the web for reviews to decide which hotel is the right pick for us.

As far as what time to get to port, from what I've read here most ships out of Miami will start boarding at about 11:30am. If you want to try and get on the ship in one of the earlier boarding groups get there early, but know that after you check in you will have to hang out in the terminal and wait until the boarding group you are assigned is called.

That is about all the help I can offer, but I'm sure others will chime in. Look around the main page that lists all of the forums here and you can find a wealth of information.

Good luck!:)

Edit: Didn't mean to copycat you KenMo, you just type faster than I do! :)

Hi. I'm new to this site. Next month we're going on a Carnival cruise out of Miami, but we're flying in a day early. Anyone recommend a hotel to stay in Miami area that's in a touristy area, reasonable price, free shuttle from airport (if it's possible), and free shuttle (if possible) to port the next day? Where should we stay? Downtown? How much would shuttle or taxi cost to port? What time should we be leaving to go to port? Is it best to go as early as possible and just roam ship before it leaves? Also, is it true that after the cruise there's a free shuttle that brings people to the airport? If not, how much is it per person? As of now, we have 9 people in our party that will be going. Many thanks.

I just booked at La Quinta Airport East and they will pick up from the airport and take to the port the next day for free, also free continental breakfast. I have no idea how the hotel itself is, reviews were pretty good. I then booked through the cruise for transportation to the airport on the return. It was I think $16 per person. Hope this helps.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Most hotels don't have free shuttles in Miami. I believe some of the LaQuinta's do. We took a taxi at a set rate of about $25 to the hotel. The hotel is reasonable and across the street from Bayside Marketplace. Gives you something to do for a few hours. We generally get to the port around 10:30. Very few people are waiting and we have a seat and wait a little bit to get on. We don't mind waiting. I'd rather be at the port than waiting in the hotel room. As for after the cruise, there is no free shuttle. You would have to take a taxi for a set rate back to the airport. With 9 people, maybe a few SUV taxis.

We also stayed at the Holiday Inn-Port of Miami. We did get a pretty good rate for the room, considering Miami hotel rates! The only hotels that will offer shuttles to port are near the airport, BUT there isn't anything else in that area to do. Taxi fare (last year) was $25 from the airport to the hotel and then $10 from hotel to port, which is only about 5 mins away. There are several things to do by this hotel also, you can walk across the street to Bayside Market place, which has lots of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. They also have boat tours of the bay area in which you get to see some of the stars homes that are located right on the bay. My DD and I took this tour and it was great, we loved it! We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Sue

We have a group of 29 going next month. We are staying the The Holiday Inn Port of Miami. At the airport they have Super Shuttle vans that are very cheap. We have 3 reserved from the airport to the hotel and from the ship back to the airport. The cost per van is $55.00. It will hold 10 people. You do not need to reserve it in advance for the trip down. I would recommend doing so for the trip back to the airport. You can do that right at the airport.

We also have booked the LaQuinta East at the airport. Free shuttle from airport to hotel and free shuttle to POM that leaves at 10am. We are not arriving in Miami until 4:30ish, so we don't need a whole lot to do, just rest up for our cruise. My brother and I decided it was worth it to skip the views from downtown since we will have wonderful views for the next week!!;)

Wow thanks! I'm definitely checking some of the other boards in the link. Yeah, we have a party of 9. I just called Super Shuttle. I guess $55 is a good rate to get to downtown. We were thinking of staying in downtown since we've never been to Miami. But it seems pricey all the way around ($55 shuttle, extra hotel costs, then 2 or 3 taxis to port for another $~ $50). So they don't let you board the cruise ship for quite a while?

Sounds like a lot of people stayed at Holiday Inn, I'll look into it.

Also, when the cruise is over, does anyone know of a shuttle or tour service that gives you a tour of Miami before taking you back to the airport? I read this somewhere (not a post in cruise critic) but just wondering if that's true, and if so, how expensive that is.

We're at the LaQuinta East right now. We got a rate of $69.30 plus tax for one night. We drove in and there is free parking for 7 days, free breakfast, free wi-fi, and free one way shuttle to the port. If you're flying there is a free shuttle to and from the airport. I don't believe any hotels have a free shuttle from the port back to the hotel. It's a union thing. This is located next to the Embassy Suites and close to a Bennigan's. There isn't much else around here.

If you are hurting for cash and willing to take a bit of extra time you can always hop on one of the rental car buses that take you to the rental car places outside the Miami airport. From there you can take the rental car shuttle to the airport. In ignorance we rented a car from Hertz (or maybe National) to go to Fort Lauderdale after the cruise. We thought we would pick up the car in the downtown office but instead the shuttle took us all the way up to the Miami airport.

Last year on the Liberty, we took the tour from Carnival, the debarkation day tour. It was the South Beach Experience, I think. Your luggage stays locked up on the bus, so you don't have to deal with it. We got a tour around the South Beach Art Deco area, then were dropped off for a couple of hours on Ocean Drive, to wander at our leisure. At the end, they bring you to the airport and drop you off by your flight terminal. We enjoyed this very much. Don't exactly remember the price ($45/pp maybe?) but it wasn't outlandish (or I would have remembered!). Sure beats sitting in the airport until 3, when the flight left. I think there was also an Airboat ride/tour in the Everglades offered. Check out Shore Excursions.

we stayed at the HI POM for our Jan. cruise...we had a GOOD time and ENJOYED our stay...top floor room to look at at the port and across to BAYSIDE--which was FUN to spend some time at and ate at Bubba Gumps...GOOD SHRIMP!!!

nice to have the CVS on the corner about 2 blocks down to pick up some drinks and last minute things...

quick taxi ride to the port in the morn...plenty of time no lines to get into the terminal just a little wait to get on the ship.

Were also going to stay in MIAMI next month and coming in a day earlier. I found a great deal through hotels.com. were staying at the Holiday Inn near the international airport. address was 1111 s. royal poinciana blvd. Was only 88.00 for 4 of us and that included transportation from the airport to the hotel. only fee needed is 10.00 pp to the port. i looked into most hotels and this was the best deal we could find. I may see how much a taxi is for 4 of us, but I think the 40.00 is still a great deal. We had to pay the 88.00 hotel fee automatically and no refunds. Excellent deal. Hope this help out:) Terrie65

Archived