PADI c-card

x98bjv

We're getting certified through PADI for open water diver. My husband has diabetes and has indicated so on the medical statement. Does anyone know if that information goes on the c-card? His diabetes is well-controlled - he's a medical student so he understands the risks etc but we may not disclose this information to individual dive operators due to the stigma associated with it.

The information won't be on the c-card. However, I caution you against not disclosing it. You will need to fill out a medical form whenever you go diving with a dive operation. It could cause other problems if you don't disclose it and something happens.

I would recommend instead to carry with you a written release (and copies) from your doctor clearing him to dive without any reservations.

I would recommend instead to carry with you a written release (and copies) from your doctor clearing him to dive without any reservations.

That is excellent advice. That info is not on the card and the dive operator should be made aware of it.

My husband has diabetes...

You need to make each dive operator specifically aware of his condition before leaving on your cruise. There are some operators that cannot take diabetics on a dive because of the dive operator's insurance. We were in Aruba diving this past December when one prospective diver was not allowed to dive due to diabetes. The stated reason for this was that the dive operator's liability insurance excluded diabetic divers.

This had nothing to do with any stigma. It's a liability and liability insurance issue. I would make sure before leaving that each operator with which you two intended to dive with allowed diabetic divers. An ounce of prevention beforehand can prevent a pound of disappointment on your cruise. Most dive operators will not have a problem along this line but I would make certain.

Archived