Queen Mary

cccer

Hello,

My wife and I will be cruising on the Splendor in July. We will be flying in the day before around noon and staying at the Hyatt or Hilton.

My wife wants to see the Queen Mary and I am trying to decide the best way to do that. I would rather go to the Pike on Saturday and am thinking we can check in for the cruise early Sunday morning and then see the QM. Their website says they open at 10 so we could probably be back to board around noon.

Sounds good on paper, but since I have never been there I am looking for any advice on the best way to visit the QM.

Thanks

Sounds good to me, 2 hrs will be fine to see her. We will be staying on her for two nights on April 22 - 23. Will pass on any thing we find that will help you when we get back.

longbeach-1.jpg

You can take a taxi, it's about 2 miles. There's also a downtown shuttle bus, but I don't recall if it goes to QM. The Skorpion, a Soviet submarine, is right next to QM and that's even more interesting than QM. Aquarium of the Pacific is good if there's not a major aquarium at home. FYI, The Pike is just an outdoor mall with the usual collection of suburban chain stores and restaurants. It is named after an amusement park that was on the site but is long gone. Some of the facades at The Pike are styled to look like a roller coaster. I'm sure 90% of people don't know about the history.

Hi -- hope it works as good as it sounds because thats our plan for seeing the QM too...... We will arrive Saturday prior and will be doing the LA/Hollywood tourist thing on Saturday.... Sunday the plan is to check in, drop off bags and then hit up the QM and/or sub for a tour while we wait for our number to be called :)...... keep us posted as we sail in August!

The photo is great, but possibly confusing if you've never been there. The white vertical line and concrete area in the water to the right of center is the pier for the cruise ship....there isn't one docked in the photo. The narrower of the two structures between the dome and the pier is the gangway. It's about 4 stories above the dock, we embarked through it and disembarked from a lower deck onto the pier and ground level.

Archived