Mariner Cruisers Help!

ceewest

For those that flew into Orlando prior to thier cruise, where did you stay and what transportation did you use? I'm looking for some helpful advise on what/where to go when we fly the day before our Mariner trip.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

We flew into Orlando the Friday night before the cruise. We wanted to go to Universal Studios on Saturday, so we spent Friday and Saturday night at a hotel in Kissimmee. We had a rental that we picked up at Orlando airport Friday night and dropped it off in Port Canaveral before the cruise. The drive took about 1 hour. This worked out really well for us.

Enjoy your cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Lisa

Hi Chris,

I sail on the Mariner in 3 Days... Counting down.

We are flying into Orlando and then we are renting a car from Budget for $36 and driving to Port Canaveral. We got a very nice room at the Raddison Resort at the Port for about $100.

I found that renting a car was ALOT cheaper than ship transfers or shuttles or taxis. Plus since we are they a day early, we can use the car to visit KSC or other local attractions.

Both the hotel and the rental car drop off are about 1 mile from the cruise docks and both provide transportation to the ship.

Hope that helps.

Christie

We stayed at the Marriot which is right outside the airport.

It was reasonably priced. It was about a fifteen minute drive over to Universal and 20 to Disney.

We got a one way rental from Orlando to Port Canaveral and flew in on Friday.

The good thing about this Marriot is that it is on the east side of Orlando so when you are ready to head to Port Canaveral you don't have to traverse Orlando.

JMHO

We stayed at the Marriot which is right outside the airport.

It was reasonably priced. It was about a fifteen minute drive over to Universal and 20 to Disney.

We got a one way rental from Orlando to Port Canaveral and flew in on Friday.

The good thing about this Marriot is that it is on the east side of Orlando so when you are ready to head to Port Canaveral you don't have to traverse Orlando.

JMHO

I did that with my family last year and it worked out ok, but we took the RCI transfer the next day. The Transfer was expensive and the Marriott is a bit more expensive than hotels near Cape Canaveral if memory serves me right.

We are flying into Orlando and then we are renting a car from Budget for $36 and driving to Port Canaveral. We got a very nice room at the Raddison Resort at the Port for about $100.

Nice prices... where did you book the hotel? Also, I was unaware there was a Budget rental place near the port! This would be VERY convenient!!!

Chris

I did that with my family last year and it worked out ok, but we took the RCI transfer the next day. The Transfer was expensive and the Marriott is a bit more expensive than hotels near Cape Canaveral if memory serves me right.

Nice prices... where did you book the hotel? Also, I was unaware there was a Budget rental place near the port! This would be VERY convenient!!!

Chris

Chris -- I booked the hotel directly off of the Raddison's website. Then I followed up my reservation with a phone call to make a reservation for the free hotel shuttle to take me to the pier. Here is the web address for you to copy and paste in your browser.

I JUST NOW got an e-mail from Budget confirming my Budget rental for Saturday. The drop off location is 8401 Astronaut Blvd Cape Canaveral....

Hope that helps.

http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirectory/hotelbio.jsp?hotelCode=FLCOCOA&key=hoteldirectory.info.&origin=Hotel%20Directory&backURI=http:%2F%2Fwww.radisson.com%2Freservation%2FhotelPreference.do%3FlocationUni%3D761%26dno%3D01270501280510

Chris -- I booked the hotel directly off of the Raddison's website. Then I followed up my reservation with a phone call to make a reservation for the free hotel shuttle to take me to the pier. Here is the web address for you to copy and paste in your browser.

I JUST NOW got an e-mail from Budget confirming my Budget rental for Saturday. The drop off location is 8401 Astronaut Blvd Cape Canaveral....

Hope that helps.

http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirect... 1270501280510

Good info! Enjoy your trip.

Anyone else have any input?

I just booked a room for the end of March at the Fairfield Inn at the Airport for 63.00. We are driving to Florida, but my brother and his wife are flying. They have a free shuttle from airport to hotel. Can't help with the transportation part but have read posts that people rent a car and drop it off at the dock and visa versa for the way home.

We stayed at the Hyatt inside the airport and really enjoyed it. It was nice to exit the plane, walk across the airport and go inside the hotel. We also had dinner at their restaurant and dessert from room service -- all of it was at least above average. I would stay there again, however, based simply on how clean the rooms were.

As far as transportation, we used a company called Ace (I think that's who it was). They were very friendly. But, I prayed the whole time that we would make it to the port because their towncar felt and sounded like it was going to fall apart! We'll probably use someone else next time -- someone with newer vehicles, but I wouldn't mind using them again if I need to. :D

We did a pre-stay at WDW for several days, so I'm no help with the hotels. Many posters have written good things about various hotels in the Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area.

As for transport, we did lots of research (towncar, shuttle, rental car, etc.) and went with a rental car both ways. We needed a mini van for the 4 of us (adults) plus all our luggage and gear! It was about $55 (including tax/fees) through Avis. Very convenient for both pick-up and drop-off. No problem with getting the Avis quick shuttle to and from the pier--they were running them constantly just for cruise pax.

Oh boy do I wish I was on Mariner (with DH, of course) right this minute!

beachchick

Are you guys forgetting that you can stay near the Port for much less and even get free shuttle service in some hotels? We are driving to the Port and staying overnight at the Raddison which is just minutes from the ship. There are lots of hotels on Cocoa Beach, Satelite Beach and in Port Canaveral.

We arrive at 9:30 Saturday night, so are staying at the Holiday Inn Select at MCO for the night ($50 through Priceline). Next morning, we have a limo service picking us up at the hotel and taking us to the port. Hubby doesn't want to drive, and with two families traveling, the limo was actually not much more expensive than two mini-vans.

Sammy

We stayed in Kissimmee at Orange Lake Resort for a few (very relaxing) days before the cruise. We used Art's shuttle to get us from MCO to Kissimmee and then from Kissimmee to the Port on the day of the cruise. They were highly professional and reliable. I recommend them.

On the return, we did RCI's NASA VIP tour, which included transportation from the ship to Cape Canaveral and from there to MCO.

We were just on the 1/2 sailing of the Mariner. We stayed at the Radisson Resort at Port Canaveral. Only about 5 minutes from the ship and a 45 minute ride from the airport. Decent rooms, nice pool, good restaurant and bar. Used Art's Shuttle to get back and forth. I would highly recommend both.

Thanks everyone! I'll have to check out Art's Shuttle.

As far as transportation, we used a company called Ace (I think that's who it was). They were very friendly. But, I prayed the whole time that we would make it to the port because their towncar felt and sounded like it was going to fall apart! We'll probably use someone else next time -- someone with newer vehicles, but I wouldn't mind using them again if I need to. :D

Nothing like a lil' pre-cruise stress!

Before our cruise we stayed at the Days Inn in Cocoa Beach and rented a SUV both ways. Next time we decided we would probably chose to stay around the airport to be closer to Orlando. We just weren't that impressed with the Cocoa Beach area. But will def. rent a vehicle so you can go explore.

We turned our Am. Express points into Marriott reward points for a FREE night at the coutryard (about 20,000 points). Normally it's $149/night. We are renting a 12 person passenger van (for 8 of us) for 1 way for $100. We are planning Grills for dinner. My Dad and I are going to the pier in the morning for a nice Father's Day breakfast and to watch the Mariner come in. Then we board at noon. I'm excited!

Last year we stayed at Ron Jon's resort had a rom for 8-10 for 8 of us it was a beautiful place and very resonable. This year we are staying at the Courtyard, because Ron Jon's was book (unfortunatly we are going for Spring Break, the first week of April.) Just a note to those of you going to Port Canaveral, spring breaks in the south run from March-the first of April. book early.

For those that flew into Orlando prior to thier cruise, where did you stay and what transportation did you use? I'm looking for some helpful advise on what/where to go when we fly the day before our Mariner trip.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

HI Chris-- We are leaving today and have booked a Ramada near the Orlando airport-- its $48 a night with breakfast and a "cokctail party" in the afternoon. It's near things in Orlando and so we'll have plenty to do tomorrow while waiting for the cruise on Sunday.We rented a one way car from Hertz-- am a member of the #1 club so they gave me a good deal but hear other rental agencies are cheaper and then a one way back on the 6th when we arrive. They will shuttle us from the rental agency to the dock--or is it a pier-- well first time cruiser here getting ready to leave for the airport and my first crusie-- Mariner ghere I come. Pam

Will let you know how things are upon my return.

As this will be our first time sailing out of Port Canaveral (and aboard the Mariner) we opted to spend the night at an airport hotel - the Amerisuites and take the ship's bus transfer to the ship the next day. I think we paid $50pp for roundtrip transfers (got a discount from our TA, I think). We will have to take the hotel's shuttle back to the airport, but once there, we simply board the bus (and probably wait).

We are flying in from California and arriving late, so this by far was our best option. I personally don't like cruise line bus tranasfers, but in our situation, it's by far the most hassle free option.

Its different if you plan to visit Orlando or spend some time in Port Canaveral. And I can't see doing this with young kids in tow. But, after researching all our other options,we came to the conclusion this was the least problamatic. Another concern was getting back to the airport after the cruise. With bus transfers, you get off the ship and on the bus - no hassles with getting to the car rental place or securing another form of transportation back to the airport.

I know just about everyone on these boards suggests you rent a car. But as I have never been to that part of the world, it just seemed more logical to go this route. Hopefully, someday I will have time to visit the Orlando area, but not this trip.

Suzi

The night before, we stayed at the Radisson Resort at the Port. For those who have a car to park, they have a Park & Cruise rate...beats paying $10 a day at the dock to park. They also have a free shuttle as well.

While we have stayed at the Rad at the port in the past we tried the Courtyard in Cocoa Beach last cruise. Big mistake. It's in a crappy area undergoing construction and the transportation to the ship was a big mess. There were around 100 people waiting for Art's shuttles to arrive, one by one, and it was every man for himself. The room was fine and the food too.

The Rad is much closer to the port, a lot nicer and the free shuttles much better organized. BTW, you do not have to pay a special cruise and park rate to leave your car there and it's better to call them and book directly. You will pay less and still be able to park there.

Bob

Archived